Project car T34 Karmann Ghia a.k.a Rustbucket

Started by 80 Vert, January 28, 2012, 08:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

80 Vert

ECU mounted its time to complete the car side of the wiring harness, this thing literally has ONE switched power in the whole car ! ONE.......I need 4 switched powers for the ECU and relays alone!
To solve this I modified a MK4 Golf battery top fuse box by making half of it for constant power feed and the other half switched feeds, lucky for me the switched feed I needed is under the back seat at the voltage regulator so I used it to trigger a 40A relay which powers my switched feeds for the ECU.
Great thing is the battery fuse box also has in line fuses which I can use as well, everything wrapped and installed VCDS seems to talk to it just fine.

My ign and door keys were the originals from new and were completely worn out so something had to be done, NOS ones are around but at 50 usd a pop I wasn't so keen. I did some research and found out what series keys they were and got part numbers in the hope of finding a cheaper solution.
Ebay Germany was the place, NOS key blanks made by the same manufacturer as my originals for 17 euro a pair! Bought those quick smart.
Next problem, how to cut keys when your originals are far too worn to be of any use, while at Armstrong locksmiths in Greenlane I asked them if they would have my key codes on file (original keys had codes stamped on them) They did!!
In the end we decided to cut a couple of their generic blanks with my codes so that I could first try them before cutting my NOS ones, well they did work so Armstrong then cut my new ones. Quite a faff by the time its all said and done but I'm real happy with their service and work.
Original style keys are really cool with the large VW logo in them, another item crossed from the list.

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

le mans

80 Vert

Time for the serious work to start, fuel injection!!
I want to use as many factory components as I can and that includes coil packs from the 1.8T, problem is they are 20-30mm too long........there must be a way to shorten them yes??
Thought I'd give it a go and pulled one apart, sure enough the brass connector between the coil and the spark plug was able to be machined down on the lathe to give me the 20mm I needed.
Cut the rubber insulator down and also the earth shields which sort of hold the whole thing together, if they don't work I'll have to come up with a new plan but until then I'm running with this.

The inlet manifold was always going to be a huge challenge and after looking at countless options it was evident I'd have to make my own system so that it all fits neatly under the rear deck.
I don't know why but decided to make it from stainless, what a huge pain in the you know what!!
Started with making the inlet pipes for each cylinder and then adding injector bosses to that, cleaning up the welds by hand as I went.
Cut up the 1.8T fuel rail and modified each section to suit the flat 4 layout, head flanges were going to take an age so I'm really glad I chose to get those lazer cut by One Stop Cut shop who also cut an aluminium throttle body flange at the same time.
Starting to weld things together here figuring out problems as they arise.

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

80 Vert

Had to think outside the box on the intake plenum for this engine as space is tight under the lid, armed with laser cut flanges I welded the intake tubes on to them so that they could be mounted to the head.  From there one was able to make some sore of plan where to put the s throttle body and intake pipe.
So far all i'm using is 1.8T Golf parts, cut the fuel rail to size and tig back together and so on. With the manifold in place I decided to route the intake pipe at the back of the engine and found the only place for the throttle body to be about the middle of the engine case and even then had to put it on a 45 deg angle to clear everything.

Doing all of this in stainless has really been the wrong move as its just such a difficult material to work with but there's no turning back now.
Intake pipe on the end manifolds is 2" which steps up to 2.5" as its comes in to the collector for the sthottle body.
Made attachement points for the fuel rails so that they can be easily removed as the intake needs to come off to drop or install the engine.
Having to custom making everything yourself really slows down progress but each step is a step closer.

Cobbling it all together with small bits salvaged here and there from other jobs  ;D  Getting there!

80 Vert

Placing the DBW throttle body was another one of those "find a spot for it" in amongst everything else, only really one place to put it where it will still fit under the engine cover.
With that decision made finishing the intake manifold didn't present any further problems and also added the intake air temp sensor at the same time.
Made up a braided fuel hose to connect the two fuel rails as well, still to remove the blue and red anodising so that it blends in better and looks more OEM.

When I had some flanges cut at One stop I'd asked about cutting a 60-2 trigger wheel as well but for some reason it seemed too difficult so that didn't happen, after that I ended up at Gilbert Sheet metals who also do laser cutting.........WELL what a shambels that was!
Nearly 1 1/2 weeks of waiting for them to come up with a price which after a few reminders was soo astronomical I thought f%ck it I'll just make one. I guess they weren't interested from the start but then say so instead of wasting all this time f@cking around.
In any case the 1.8T Golf one was too small so I had a larger disc cut out of 8mm plate steel which I then cleaned and trued in the lathe. Next in to the rotary table on the mill to drill 60 holes 6 degrees apart.
Once all the holes were drilled I cut the center out to the size I needed to fit over the engine fan, with that size determined the outside could be machined down in the lathe cutting in to the drilled holes about half way leaving pick up points for the crank sensor.

As luck would have it a blown 1.8T short block landed at my feet just at the right time which I used to determine exactly where the crank sensor had to be in relation to the trigger wheel, checking rotation etc was correct I made a mount for the crank sensor and then placed the trigger wheel where I needed it bolting it in place. The 3 mounting holes are slotted a little allowing for fine adjustment / tuning.

Trofeo

So the hole spacing is measured individually? So a few calcs,  work out the spacing, and off you go.. Just amazed at what can be achieved in your workshop. Simply mindblowing!
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

80 Vert

Yes, a 60-2 trigger wheel is just 60 teeth with 2 removed. This is how the crank sensor knows where TDC is.
Sooo the rest is very simple, 360 : 60 = 6 degrees per tooth and from there its quite easy on a rotary table, index 6 deg drill hole, index 12 deg drill hole and so on.
To make things as accurate as possible I simply calculated the ratio I was enlarging the trigger wheel and thus made the drilled holes larger by that formula also meaning it should in theory be scaled up fairly evenly.
The crank sensor is magnetic so all it is doing is counting the spaces between the teeth and firing at pre determined locations.

80 Vert

The next instalment of the engine is the cam position sensor, not sure if anyone is still following what I'm doing but don't blame you of you've all gone to sleep!  >:D
Of course there's no way to add the 1.8T cam sensor to the end of the cam as on the watercooled engine since the cam is enclosed in the engine case and already drives the oil pump. The distributor of course is driven 2:1 off the crank so this would be perfect for what I need since I don't require it for ignition so the first job was to strip a brand new 009 distributor and throw 80% of it in the bin  ;D
Fortunately I had a big enough chunk of aluminium bar 2 random holes drilled in it to machine the adaptor from which would hold the cam sensor to the dizzy body, once I had the round adaptor made I thought it didn't look factory enough so with it mounted in the rotary table I machined the sides down so that it matched the cam sensor and dizzy body. Quite a lot more work but looks way better.
With the sensor mounted on the housing I could then measure the height for the inside bushing to locate the sensor wheel on the distributor shaft, fine tuning is able to be done via turning the dizzy housing in the engine case to perfectly time the sensor to the crank position.

RobClubley

Very much still watching with great interest. I just don't want to clutter up your thread too much with comments. Love your work, attention to detail and dedication.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

John Stone

What he said - thanks for sharing it Vert
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

le mans

the phantom

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

kiwihigh

BUILT not bought

80 Vert

Cheers guys, it's taking quite a bit of effort to keep going.....Other projects are an easy distraction.
However I have found room for an intercooler. .......super tight fit but details later.

mark2 golf

89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

dubstar

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Worms

I'm VERY much following too!

This place needs a like button, so we can show interest, but not fill your thread with drivel (like this  ;D)

4 cylinder Engine fell out of the Touran on the weekend, too  ;)

80 Vert

About time you got that miserable 4 pot out of there lol

VW'n

Do you have an estimated power figure?
There can't be many orginal air cooled motors converted to fuel ejection?
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)