Project car T34 Karmann Ghia a.k.a Rustbucket

Started by 80 Vert, January 28, 2012, 08:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark2 golf

Very cool john.
You will have to start pulling some walls out.
Cant be far off a road test.
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

the phantom

you'll have to change the name of this thread John, rustbucket no more!
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

Quote from: mark2 golf on November 26, 2016, 08:46:37 PM
Very cool john.
You will have to start pulling some walls out.
Cant be far off a road test.

Thanks Mark, yep removing a wall is only weeks away rather than months.
Still lots of small things to finish but I'll do those once on the hoist, I've probably gotten up off the floor a 1000 times but I'm really tiring of that.
Here's a picture of the fume extractor, works a charm and was invaluable for testing purposes.

A few things left to finish underneath like the charcoal canister which I decided to use running the vent line from the tank to it, these old vw's always stink of gas with the tank in front of you so hopefully this should solve that issue.
Since the original fuel line wasn't being used I've just utilised that for the vent system mounting the charcoal can at the back.
Finished the wiring for the oil cooler fan and thermo switch, there's less and less things hanging down under there so progress must be being made.
Last major thing to do is the DBW pedal and with an intercooler, oil cooler, charcoal can and air intake under there its very very tight with the only spot left on top of the gearbox.
Way too difficult to work under there so I borrowed and trans case which allows me to make the needed mountings on the bench, hopefully its all fits.
I'll use the original throttle cable cut to length to pull on the DBW pedal, made a mount with a series of holes so that it can be fine tuned for the right feel.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

schattenblau

you beat me to it rob

;D

nice video
early 911 steering wheel ?

80 Vert

80 Vert

One of the last parts to make is a catch can for my various engine vent lines and stops the oil being routed back to the intake. One small spot in the engine bay remains which would perfectly suit a small catch tank.
I made one from cardboard first playing around with the shape so that it can be installed and removed in one piece, the place where it fits is quite an odd shape with no real straight lines so just this little tank took more than a whole day to make.
Finally had the shape which would work and clears the fan housing without needing to remove it so traced it on to Aluminium sheet, I tried to minimise the amount to pieces to weld and in the end made the whole tank from only 2 main parts which were folded in the correct shape and welded together.
A separator plate inside drilled with a bunch of holes should help to stop the oil getting as far as the filter, add a couple of hose fittings job done ready for a coat of paint.

the phantom

it'll soon be time to get it out to enjoy the weather John, great work

80 Vert

With the holidays approaching fast and a clear hoist for a few weeks the wall had to come down to get the car out of its storage area, it was well worth the effort to put it in there a couple of years ago as its been a brilliant spot to work in but its gotten to the point where I need it out of there so....
Remove the wall and drag it out, If I wasn't doing work to the building in that area in the new year I would probably put the Porsche in there to work on but that doesn't really work at this stage.

80 Vert

Still more progress on the ole rustbucket, one of the last major pieces came together today namely the seats!
Been a long time coming......read a year! yes that's correct I gave the trimmer my frames exactly one year ago but then great results are worth waiting for and its not like I needed them before it was actually driveable.
The guy is great at what he does and been doing it forever so I'd rather wait and know what I'm going to get even if it takes some time.
Finished putting them together this morning cleaning up the old hardware which could be salvaged.

Passenger seat fitment was fine but the drivers side was too loose so had to remove and spread the runners a little with a block of wood and the knock o meter.
Re installed and all good, finally have something to sit on once that first test drive happens.
I have the car on the hoist now to fix a bunch of oil leaks and hopefully finish a bunch of small jobs underneath including some form of scoop to direct air to the intercooler.

80 Vert

I had these big plans to do all this work on this thing over the holidays but none of it has really come to much, one thing though is that having it on the hoist has made life a 1000x easier.
Anyway a few bits and pieces here and there gets me a little further ahead at least, started on a scoop of some sort today to direct some air in to the intercooler under the car. Making the pieces from cardboard which I'll then trace on to aluminium.

Also couldn't resist taking the front end apart again to re index the torsion bars for another 20mm drop but unfortunately that meant the front was sitting on the bump stops so I took them off and cut them down giving me some travel back.
Annoyingly the fuel gauge didn't work so that wasted another 1/2 day, found the sender to be faulty....
the great thing about this old junk is that you can actually take stuff apart and repair it, as was the case with the sender.
Corrosion between the housing and copper element stopped it working however upon testing it the gauge would either read nothing or completely full.
Bit more fault finding done a bad ground on the back of the gauge was problem 2, now have the 6V gauge working on 12V lets see how long that lasts.

80 Vert

Been a while since the last update and have had my fair share of issues to deal with, once all of the items I wanted to do over the holidays were completed the time came to actually drive it and considering its running a stock standard 1.8T ecu it actually runs and drives really well.
I was really surprised how well it drives and feels, not a lot of noise and seems pretty effortless. I don't think I'm making any boost for some reason but that's not a bad thing while the engine is bedding in.
A couple of trips down a very quiet road near work all seemed fine..................until the 3 mile mark..............a huge cloud of smoke coming back to work.
Cut a long story short it blew a hose clean off the oil cooler loosing around 5L of oil in an instant, oil over absolutely everything underneath. I've never had such an epic mess to clean up.
5 hours on the hoist degreasing and washing everything down, amazing where oil goes when sprayed under pressure!!
But why?
Fundamental mistake on my part, running an external filter and oil cooler both of these see unregulated oil pressure direct from the pump meaning it could be as high as 300psi pressure maybe more.
Normally you fit a pump cover with a relief valve but being a type 3 engine I don't have room, after looking at other options I settled on a Jaycee oil filter mount with a bypass valve built in which has a hose back to the sump.
Above 80psi it will send oil back to the sump doing the same job as the pump cover.
Very lucky that I'm running a deep sump as otherwise I think the engine would have been toast, with this deep sump I'm running more than double the original oil capacity.

Few weeks of waiting for parts to arrive yesterday I pulled the sump to drill and tap for the return line, changed the rubber hoses to the cooler for ss braided ones (probably not necessary but I'm not taking any more chances)
Ran the new hoses and buttoned everything up, primed oil pressure and all seems fine so far.
Hopefully this is it for a while and can now just concentrate on tuning the thing, this has by far been the most stubborn car ever as it seems it just doesn't want to be finished.

badhabit

"I was really surprised how well it drives and feels, not a lot of noise and seems pretty effortless."

that's just how a type 3 drives john! I've been telling people for years! ;D :o  :P
2007 Honda Euro
1973 Datsun 240Z - RB25det build
1991 Porsche 911/964
1960 VW karmann ghia

the phantom

wilco

gti vr6

1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

80 Vert

Realised I never updated the oil pressure situation, after ordering a new filter mount with a built in pressure relief valve which has a line plumbed back to the sump seems to have worked wonders for the old girl.
Also had new braided oil lines made to the oil cooler so those should be trouble free as well from now on, started out driving very short distances around work gradually venturing a bit further, I have a whopping 52km on it now still on the stock 1.8T map which runs good enough.
I have reached a decision on tuning though which is going to be Eurodyne and that will happen over the next few months.
There's no major panic as it starts and runs good enough to break the motor in, seems to make some boost and gets along pretty well.
Fan on the oil cooler used to come on pretty quick but even that seems to have sorted itself out and by all accounts the motor temps seem fine as such but the proof will be longer trips I guess.
Only a few months to tune before winter at which time I'll pull all the glass and start putting right some of the stuff annoying me.

the phantom

Fizz

virus-zn

That pic does not do this car justice... the attention to detail and craftsmanship, especially in the engine bay is phenomenal...