Mk 3 GTi 16v clutch replacement

Started by boozeano, October 20, 2011, 09:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boozeano

Hi,

I've very recently bought a 1997 16v and have noticed that the clutch is getting a little tired, the car has covered 101,000k and the clutch probably has about 25% life left in it. It's started crunching into first and reverse if your fast with the gear changes however if a little bit more gentle it goes in ok. I popped into The Gearbox Factory today in East Tamaki and was quoted $800 to $1000 to get it replaced.

Is $800 to $1000 a good price for a clutch change? Can anyone recommend anywhere in Auckland that could do the clutch for me and maybe a bit cheaper?

80 Vert

If its inc gst then thats a fair price for parts / labour
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

BB

The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

boozeano

Seems like $800 to $1000 is the going rate after a ring around today, half the cost is the clutch kit and the other half labour.

00quattro00

Make sure you get a sachs clutch and have the flywheel machined
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

Skilfil

Was this purchased from somewhere in the North Shore by any chance?
1997 Mazda MX5 (B2 Limited Edition)
1990 Volkswagen Jetta Mk2 ABF
2006 Lexus GS430

ripplz

umm with the gearbox shop,are you talkn about a rebuilt box aswel so no crunching or just a new clutch?and the place on the shore is called trade parts on wairau rd,they should do you a good price
A4 1.8t
S4 4.2 avant wagon 😉

johnp

Quote from: ripplz on October 23, 2011, 02:41:52 AM
umm with the gearbox shop,are you talkn about a rebuilt box aswel so no crunching or just a new clutch?and the place on the shore is called trade parts on wairau rd,they should do you a good price

800-1000 for a clutch AND rebuilt box.................what do you reckon?

boozeano

The price from the Gearbox factory is just the clutch and fitment.

When I lived in the UK (5 years ago) I had a Mk 2 16V so I've been online and had a look at the places I used to buy my parts from and have found that buying a cltuch there is a 3rd of the price here, so I've just bought a new LUK clutch kit for $160 and am having it shipped out. Just need to fit someone to fit it for me, I might give Trade Parts a call.

BB

I think you could get a LUK clutch here for not much more than $200.
And I thought Trade Parts was a parts supplier not a workshop? Plus if they are a work shop they will charge you to reface the flywheel now you have not sourced your clutch from them and also they are less likely to stand by the work if they didn't supply the clutch.

In many cases its not better to import the parts to save a few bucks.

johnp

Quote from: BB on October 25, 2011, 09:38:31 AM
I think you could get a LUK clutch here for not much more than $200.
And I thought Trade Parts was a parts supplier not a workshop? Plus if they are a work shop they will charge you to reface the flywheel now you have sourced your clutch from them and also they are less likely to stand by the work if they didn't supply the clutch.

In many cases its not better to import the parts to save a few bucks.

Agreed Jem, if I was running a shop/doing this work as a business,  I would not fit customer supplied parts, or at least I would only gaurentee  the workmanship.

ripplz

Quote from: ripplz on October 23, 2011, 02:41:52 AM

yea was meaning trade parts should do you a good price on a clutch kit not fitting
A4 1.8t
S4 4.2 avant wagon 😉

The Admiral

Quote from: boozeano on October 25, 2011, 08:37:58 AM
The price from the Gearbox factory is just the clutch and fitment.

When I lived in the UK (5 years ago) I had a Mk 2 16V so I've been online and had a look at the places I used to buy my parts from and have found that buying a cltuch there is a 3rd of the price here, so I've just bought a new LUK clutch kit for $160 and am having it shipped out. Just need to fit someone to fit it for me, I might give Trade Parts a call.

Mine's on the way out too... started slipping :(. Where did you get your UK one from? Thanks.

boozeano

Euro Car Parts http://www.eurocarparts.com/ Clutch was ?85 (about $170) and shipping ?60 (about $120) - my parents shipped it to me for free so all I had to pay for was the clutch  :)

BB

And you think your saving at that price ::) ::)

boozeano

I did at the time when everyone I called was quoting me $400 to $500 and being told that ''we're a long way from Europe'' and thats why everything was more expensive. I now know that I perhaps wasn't calling the right people but I'm new to the NZ VW scene so am starting from scratch and trying to find out everything I need to know.

timewarrior

I bought a cheap clutch off eBay America from a shop called Gripforce. Did lots of research but then when it was sent out I got ripped off for the postage, their receipt indicated they kept about a third of the shipping money. Box was beaten to s*** and with nicks out of the edge of the clutch plate. The clutch stinks out the car if you have a heavy load and do a hill start and that's after 8000 kms!
Moral of the story, shop around but probably safest to shop around for a Luk or Sachs clutch. Hope this helps, wish I knew about this forum when I was shopping for mine, there are some very helpful VW owners out there.
94 Golf VR6 Dusty Mauve Pearl
05 Golf GTI Diamond Black Metallic
04 Golf R32 Reflex Silver Metallic

"The more I know, the more I don't pretend to know"

ripplz

Quote from: boozeano on October 20, 2011, 09:03:42 PM
Hi,

I've very recently bought a 1997 16v and have noticed that the clutch is getting a little tired, the car has covered 101,000k and the clutch probably has about 25% life left in it. It's started crunching into first and reverse if your fast with the gear changes however if a little bit more gentle it goes in ok. I popped into The Gearbox Factory today in East Tamaki and was quoted $800 to $1000 to get it replaced.

Is $800 to $1000 a good price for a clutch change? Can anyone recommend anywhere in Auckland that could do the clutch for me and maybe a bit cheaper?

so how woud it be it some redline yellow in the box,if its hard and durty woud be better for some gd thick redline
A4 1.8t
S4 4.2 avant wagon 😉