RS6 C5 AVANT - Had this for half a day

Started by weta.worker, March 09, 2012, 08:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weta.worker

Nik gave me a heads up on an avant RS6 C5 that had just been traded in a few days ago in Wellington (Thanks Nik!)

I got in contact with the dealers and managed to get half a day with it

135ks

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/audi/rs6/auction-454935092.htm

Thoughts

: Positives

- Loads of space! 
- Power!
- Love the sound of the V8!

: Neutrals

- Handling wasn't too bad, it is a very heavy car
- Brakes weren't too bad either, didn't blow me away

: Negatives

- Something up with the auto box (clunky and slow to respond and at times did random things which made me feel a bit wary \ not %100 in control
- Power delivery wasn't quite what I expected.  Not much to start with (I thought it would have been all torque and low down)
- K's K's K's - Lots under it's belt and I'd seen the service records and what had to be replaced (and sometimes twice)
- Quite a bit of a wear for a 2003 (buttons etc worn off)
- Not sure if it was the top spec either. 
- I thought it didn't look agressive enough - seems to sit a bit higher than I would have liked - Not sure if that's standard?

Anyways, very nice car.  Had a few too many k's and I wasn't blown away. 

Maybe it wasn't the best example?

So I've tried the newer B7 RS4 (very nice , but not enough space), the newer C6 RS6 (very nice,  for 150K....no thanks), the older C5 RS6 (I'm still leaning towards one but will have to try more to see if the issues I have are with all of them)

The end result is that I'm couldn't be happier with the old B5 RS4 so it won't get a brother \ sister any time soon.  It's getting a bit long in the tooth now but a real pleasure to drive and the kids can still fit (for now!)

Awwwwh, isn't that nice  :P

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

le mans

Shiny  :)  If you buy it get a warranty!

Q_Cars

Would have been interesting to hook up a VAG-COM and checked for codes.

The tranny behavior could have been a low fluid issue - mine started to get a little clunky, level was down so got a full flush done too. Made all the difference.

Hard to tell from pics but stance does look a bit odd. Maybe it's had DRC done under warranty and the ride height wasn't properly reset. It's apparently a tricky one to do right. I've got the target ride height measurements from centre of the wheel hub to guard if you were interested in taking it further.

A 135k RS6 will certainly have a long and impressive list of service & repair items thats for sure. Still love 'em though!
-----------------------------------------------------------
2007 Mk V GTi (Owned by the Speaker of the House)
1998 Alfa 156 2.0 T/spark (to satisfy petrosexual urges)
2005 Holden Monaro Stage 4 (made of pure boganite)
2006 BMW K1200R (aka Herman Munster)
2006 E63 AMG (sold, phew!)
2003 C5 RS6 (sold, sadly)

BB

I just did a mk4 golf trans and it was low on fluid as somebody had tried to do a trans flush but was too dumb to know how to fill it properly.
It was really jerky and would suddenly thump in to gear but is completely fixed now.
Had you go to the needle exchange and buy some big horse fits to squirt fluid up the stupid small hole till it over flowed with the engine running.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?