RS4 Carbon build up pics

Started by UKRSKiwi, March 13, 2012, 10:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKRSKiwi

My car is currently away getting a bit of work done to it, one of the items is a cleaning of the carbon build up on the valves.

My car has done about 60k km and the valves look filthy to say the least! It has been based in London so lots of short trips has probably not helped...but I think the picture below speaks for itself :o
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
MRC Stage 2 Induction Manifold
Milltek Exhaust and 100 Cell DP's
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

M

I have driven a couple of cars recently that were flat. I am sure they will have the buildup but without complaints from owners......
Too much power is almost enough.

beeker

I dynoed my prior to and then after a carbon clean by the local audi agent.
Managed a 233.5WKW, up from the prior 213WKW (also had a stuck airbox flap).

Be interesting to check it again 12 months on...
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

beeker

14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

KiwiC4S

Does this carbon build up only afflict the RS4 4.2l (and presumably the S4) or are there others in the range which would suffer from it?
'06 997 Carrera 4S

le mans

I'm pretty sure all FSI engines are susceptible aren't they? The B6/7 S4 isn't FSI from memory.

UKRSKiwi

Quote from: beeker on March 14, 2012, 07:22:15 AM
haha, just got this email from ECS

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/RS4_IMGK/?utm_source=emailcampaign&utm_medium=marketing&utm_content=retail&utm_campaign=RS4_IMGK

What a useless product to advertise.  I was thinking they were going to have a solution but a gasket??!! FFS.
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

UKRSKiwi

Quote from: beeker on March 14, 2012, 07:21:18 AM
I dynoed my prior to and then after a carbon clean by the local audi agent.
Managed a 233.5WKW, up from the prior 213WKW (also had a stuck airbox flap).

Be interesting to check it again 12 months on...

Beeker, were you charged for that clean or did they do it under warranty?
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

Albacol

I've had zero success getting them to do it under warranty. Seems it's not really seen as an issue, my last lumpiness was put down to another ciol pack failure but I'm pretty sure mine could use some decoking.

Stickman

Hahaha...I got all excited when I saw this thread, I thought someone was building a carbon fiber RS4. What an awesome project that would be.

Those pictures are shocking, that is more like a carbon valve choke. I am surprised that there isn't a solution for this yet. Someone could make a fortune if they engineered a  kit that could be retrofitted to prevent carbon build up. I imagine it is caused because the fuel is direct injected (ie no 'cleaning' done by the fuel as it flows through?)

How much do they charge to clean away the carbon build up?
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4

Stickman

Interesting article herehttp://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/direct-injection-fouls-some-early-adopters.html

Especially the last 1/3 - seems they have had some success with newer motors.
I like fast toys.

2007 Audi RS4

beeker

Quote from: UKRSKiwi on March 14, 2012, 11:07:41 AM
Beeker, were you charged for that clean or did they do it under warranty?

Warranty, but i had silver circle plus (includes maint) so it made it easy.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

beeker

Quote from: Stickman on March 14, 2012, 12:41:58 PM
Hahaha...I got all excited when I saw this thread, I thought someone was building a carbon fiber RS4. What an awesome project that would be.

Those pictures are shocking, that is more like a carbon valve choke. I am surprised that there isn't a solution for this yet. Someone could make a fortune if they engineered a  kit that could be retrofitted to prevent carbon build up. I imagine it is caused because the fuel is direct injected (ie no 'cleaning' done by the fuel as it flows through?)

I know lexus use an additional injector, and push fuel though the inlet manifold as well as direct injection, and i suspect for this very reason.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

UKRSKiwi

Quote from: Albacol on March 14, 2012, 12:21:36 PM
I've had zero success getting them to do it under warranty. Seems it's not really seen as an issue, my last lumpiness was put down to another ciol pack failure but I'm pretty sure mine could use some decoking.

Out of interest there was a huge coil pack recall over here, they swapped them all for free. Not just RS4s but right across the model ranges.
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

UKRSKiwi

Quote from: Stickman on March 14, 2012, 12:41:58 PM
I imagine it is caused because the fuel is direct injected (ie no 'cleaning' done by the fuel as it flows through?)

That is exactly the reason.

MRC are charging me for 11 hours to clean mine. It's not a quick or easy job!
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

ranton-inc

Stickman

I wonder if the RS3 & RS5 suffer the same problems? I have read that the S5 does. One would think that they would have dealt with this issue in later model direct injection motors. Although, if that link I posted earlier is anything to go by, Audi seem to have their heads in the sand re: carbon issues. Anyone actually taken this up with Audi NZ or any of the dealers (CCS, Giltraps etc) - what kinds of responses are they giving?. Having to pay an extra circa $1000 to have an engine clean every 15-20k kms would get a little bit...frustrating. That said, seems to be common across many direct injection engines.

Ford seem to be tackling the issue much much better. (Designing engine to minimise re-venting of gases full of oil etc. through cam timing, etc.) if some of the literature online is to be believed.
I like fast toys.

2007 Audi RS4

UKRSKiwi

It is worth noting that my car had zero running issues with this build up other than probably being down about 10 or so hp. It has done 60k km.  I guess with any new tech which fsi was back then there will be teething issues. Audi is being stupid if they are not addressing this though.
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

Max

So how do they actually clean the C off, and what do the do to stop bits of the cleaned-off stufff getting thru/under the valves?

GLIDN

To stop build up, get the car hot and keep it that way, also a catch can setup and blocking off the pcv system.

To prevent happening? - well above idea will drastically reduce this again.
But I have started using the Subaru upper engine clean on my mk5 and merely run a can thru once every second service. So every 15000km's.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning