RS4 Carbon build up pics

Started by UKRSKiwi, March 13, 2012, 10:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

I recon a few hours at 240kms would make a difference.
But maybe the Germans are having issues with them as well? Its a fault of FSI and GDI engines. And extended oil servicing no doubt.
A $300K car may have a $50 ECU temp sensor fault and gunk up even faster, they always need new temp sensors the vags do.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Turbo

Quote from: BB on May 01, 2012, 01:16:56 PM
I recon a few hours at 240kms would make a difference.
But maybe the Germans are having issues with them as well? Its a fault of FSI and GDI engines. And extended oil servicing no doubt.
A $300K car may have a $50 ECU temp sensor fault and gunk up even faster, they always need new temp sensors the vags do.

surely more to do with engine speed as opposed to road speed.
ringing it out in 2nd would get it hot, no?
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Stickman

Quote from: BB on April 30, 2012, 04:20:00 PM
Giving it a little boot will do nothing to that car.
A run that may have an effect on a car like that would be a solid hour at 220kph.
If anything giving it a bit of stick around town will make it worse as you put your foot down, it retards and rich-ens up for pulling and then as soon as it gets anywhere near high revs your going way to fast :P
Sounds like a good excuse for a monthly track day then.
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4

beeker

Quote from: Turbo on May 01, 2012, 02:49:28 PM
surely more to do with engine speed as opposed to road speed.
ringing it out in 2nd would get it hot, no?

Its about blowing the carbon dust out on a regular basis prior to it turning into crud.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

RS ZWEI

Quote from: beeker on May 01, 2012, 06:30:59 PM
Its about blowing the carbon dust out on a regular basis prior to it turning into crud.

That cant be correct, Jem has spoken . . . .
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Fizz

Would a product like Seafoam help keep it clean? I've read that once the carbon builds up its basically sticky tar that needs to b physically scrubbed to keep it clean  :(

I'm actually quiet keen to give seafoam a go probably just b4 the next service, heard the yanks use it fair bit.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/other/auction-471061299.htm

beeker

Thats a common cleaning product for the issue, but still needs physical scrubbing and chipping to get the 'burnt on' residue off.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

5-pot

what emissions controls do the RS4s have?  Do they have an EGR valve as well?  That could contribute, I suppose.
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

beeker

Quote from: 5-pot on May 02, 2012, 04:25:00 PM
what emissions controls do the RS4s have?  Do they have an EGR valve as well?  That could contribute, I suppose.

I dont know the terminolgy, but there was some UK RS boys that thought the rocker cover etc breather recyc system was making it worse, so a few tried seperate beather tanks with ZERO benefit.

It all comes down to valve overlap, and no fuel through the inlet manifold to keep it clean.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

BB

So you think giving it a boot will blow out this "dust"
I don't think so ::)
Its called blow by. It is black and sticky and the areas it is fouling on the RS4s do not get washed out more with a short blast or a few revs. No petrol goes into the intake ONLY blowby and air does.
Getting the engine up to a very high temp through a long hard run MAY clean the worst of it off the back of the valves etc but the intakes will still clog up like arteries that need a bottle brush.
But what would I know Nik.

There are sprays in Partmaster now by the very good company Three brand or something called Engine Conditioner that you spray through the throttle intake with the engine running.
The filth and crap that would get burned and spread through the Cats and exhaust would no doubt be the most vile pollution known to man except Nukes though ::)
No problem as long as you get a few more horsey's out of those beasts.
I would have not said that but you wound me up Nik ;)

qta4

I think this issue is caused by valve overlap and slow driving .

These vehicles are built to be driven really hard on German high speed highways not around Auckland.
I also don't think that having fuel through the intake would make that much difference. Infact with  this much overlap port injection wouldn't work.

These engines get their power through direct injection where the fuel is injected into the combustion chamber at really high pressure after the valves close.During slower driving the exhaust can flow back into the inlet therefore causing this problem.

Maybe this is one problem with modern engines where the envelope is pushed .
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

beeker

Quote from: BB on May 02, 2012, 06:39:10 PM
There are sprays in Partmaster now by the very good company Three brand or something called Engine Conditioner that you spray through the throttle intake with the engine running.

Tell me more on what products ?
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

BB

Go up to partmaster and have a look, its on the stand.

And Beeker what you need to do is do this regularly now it is clean.
Engines that sit idleing in town and engines being driven hardd make blowby and that blowby is then plumbed back into the intake.
If a catchcan with a proper filter was installed I think it would have to help ???
Strange you say it has not helped much beeker?

And they never designed the FSI system for power I would nt have thought, its about fuel efficiency and it does that very very well. One of the only things the big GDI 3500cc V6 Magnas do ok is not be too thirsty for the size and power they are. Id say they are up to 20% better than other size non FSI systems.
And that is from the little I know, correct me if I am wrong :)

ranton-inc

Catch Cans make a world of difference for Direct Injection Engines

Although Personally i could never be bothered installing one...

Thankfully they aren't Illegal to run in new zealand (afaik) unlike australia

You just drain the puss out once a month...

Fizz

from what I read about guys running catchcan yes it helps but doesn't stop the carbon build, just slows it down and makes it less thickly coated on the internals making a product like seafoam or similiar alot more effective.

BB

Slowing it down is a good result.
Fact is once an RS4 has got to 60k it is getting old for this modern technology.
If everything else is going ok and you are only down a few HP then it is not faulty, it just needs a clean.
You can pay for that out of the petrol you save or like Beeker get a good insurance deal.

5-pot

I've heard of others installing an extra small injector with a very low duty cycle to have a tiny bit of fuel flowing into the intake manifolds to keep things clean...  I think these guys have aftermarket tunes though to account for the little bit of extra fuel...

I can't remember where I read this...
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

Filx

I keep seeing this thread pop up and I think, "Oh cool, someone is building a carbon RS4".  :laugh:
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

5-pot

Quote from: Filx on May 03, 2012, 01:00:14 PM
I keep seeing this thread pop up and I think, "Oh cool, someone is building a carbon RS4".  :laugh:

+1

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

qta4

searching the net seems to indicate that direct injection  has this carbon build up problems with many makes , except i have found few problems with Porsche.
Lexus seem to have another injection system, port injection at low revs and direct at higher revs.

Maybe the quest to find more hp with low emissions has its costs.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.