UrS4 auto trans service

Started by Lomax, March 16, 2012, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lomax

Hey guys, I have 94 S4 that definitely needs new ATF. My transmission has the pipe for the dipstick but there is only a plug on it so i cant even check the ATF level...can anyone help me with the proper procedure for renewing the ATF? the draining and replacing the filter and seal is simple, its the filling that im unsure about since i cant check the level, maybe someone knows exactly how much ATF to put in?
cheers
1994 Audi UrS6 6-speed manual
2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T
1990 Mk2 Golf, 1994 UrS4, 1990 Audi 80 2.0E Manual, 1990 Audi 80 2.0E donor, 1991 Audi 90 2.3E, 1985 Toyota Corona

Lomax

ok so i found the dipstick at Qualitat $71 and has to be ordered from Germany... does anyone by any chance have one i could borrow (pt num: 01F 321 431 B)? if not im probably gona order it on monday
2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T
1990 Mk2 Golf, 1994 UrS4, 1990 Audi 80 2.0E Manual, 1990 Audi 80 2.0E donor, 1991 Audi 90 2.3E, 1985 Toyota Corona

Andy_007

You just drain the sump, new filter, reinstall sump, fill until some oil comes out the fill hole, start it up and run though all the gears a few times, top up till overflowing, reinstall fill plug. Job Done
2007 Audii A4 Quattro 3.0TDI

jared18t

Andy that's not the correct procedure.   If its anything like my v8 you need the dipstick.   I got the lengths and diameter off some German website and made my own using Ali welding rod I had laying around.   Be careful not to ovrfill your trans!    The shop pumps the old atf out and puts in the same amount of new stuff if they don't have a dipstick but I don't like this method.
99 GTI Stage 2
Audi quattro V8.......

And I am now on first name basis with my BP attendant

Lomax

Yea my transmission doesn't have a fill hole, if it was half a year younger it would...it just has the dipstick pipe which acts as the filler therefore I need the dipstick to measure the level.
I got the dipstick on the way from Germany now so I should be able to do a proper job when it gets here  :D
2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T

jared18t

Good man.  Make surre its the right temp when you check the level too
99 GTI Stage 2
Audi quattro V8.......

Lomax

Today Qualitat contacted me that apparently even in Germany they don't have the dipstick anymore...  :-\
Jared do you know the part number of the dipstick that is supposed to be in your car or maybe the your transmission model? i wonder if your dipstick sizes will be the same or different as I'll have to make my own too I guess...
2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T

jared18t

99 GTI Stage 2
Audi quattro V8.......

volcanoblack

Quote from: Lomax on April 02, 2012, 02:59:20 PM
Today Qualitat contacted me that apparently even in Germany they don't have the dipstick anymore...  :-\
Jared do you know the part number of the dipstick that is supposed to be in your car or maybe the your transmission model? i wonder if your dipstick sizes will be the same or different as I'll have to make my own too I guess...

I finally have a response from the Dunedin Audi parts guy.

The "B" dipstick is correct and there are none. The "A" dipstick is not usable as far as they know.

No dipsticks at any of the wreckers on the South Island.

Looks like we are stuck with no dipstick - unless you have gotten one.

Sorry I couldn't help.

user2154

Take it to the dealers, if it is my trans 1994, it will take about (edit) 7 litres (from memory give or take) I think once they fully drain it. Apparently the problem with these trans can be if it has been drained and filled with Dexron II rather than the Audi/VW fluid but it depends on the year as there was a switch over from VW fluid to Dexron II at some point around 1994-1995 maybe. Apparently the change to Dexron II from the VW fluid can affect the clutches in the trans. But this might only cause slippage I donno..

But you are better off talking to the dealer to get the facts.

My trans is still going strong after 265000k, I don't have any issues with it at all. Sometimes you can accelerate to 50km/h and it won't change from 2nd to 3rd gear until you reach about 56km/h on the speedo, but who says the speedo readout is accurate or whatever it doesn't matter. 99% of the time it is in the right gear.

To me that is working top notch after 265000k.

volcanoblack

user2154, if you have a '94 S4 your auto trans has a dynamic shift programme. There are five shift programmes which are automatically selected by a control unit.

The transmission is "self adapting" and will automatically select the most appropriate shift programme suited to the driving conditions and driving style.

See page 45 of your Instruction Manual for the rest of the details. You press the gas far and drive fast, the car shifts up later.

user2154

Quote from: volcanoblack on June 04, 2012, 11:51:19 PM
user2154, if you have a '94 S4 your auto trans has a dynamic shift programme. There are five shift programmes which are automatically selected by a control unit.

The transmission is "self adapting" and will automatically select the most appropriate shift programme suited to the driving conditions and driving style.

See page 45 of your Instruction Manual for the rest of the details. You press the gas far and drive fast, the car shifts up later.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the original S4 manual, and I don't always drive with my foot down, but I have noticed something similar to what you describe. The last owner thought the gear shifts were a bit funny.. this dynamic shift program was probably the reason.

All said and done the car still runs great.

Thanks for the email about the brake pads the other day ;)

volcanoblack

Is ^^this^^ you Mat?

Lomax

Quote from: volcanoblack on May 16, 2012, 01:17:44 PM
I finally have a response from the Dunedin Audi parts guy.

The "B" dipstick is correct and there are none. The "A" dipstick is not usable as far as they know.

No dipsticks at any of the wreckers on the South Island.

Looks like we are stuck with no dipstick - unless you have gotten one.

Sorry I couldn't help.
ah well no worries, thanks for your help anyway

I received a dipstick from the website i ordered it from and of course its not the right one...  :-\ they sent me a dipstick with GM part number...and its way longer than it should..
so yea i guess we are stuck without the dipstick...

user2154: if i had the money to take the car to the dealers, i wouldnt need be looking for the dipstick ;) 
2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T

BB

Drain the old stuff out and measure the amount.
Refill with the same amount. easy. Unless you have an obvious leak this will be the correct amount.
It does not matter if you slightly over fill them.
In fact the old GM gearboxes would start to suck air around the valve body and the trick was to over fill them and then it would suck fluid in and not air ;) Kept them going for years longer.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

jared18t

Everything I have read and heard states overfilling can cause sirvere damage,  that's why audi took the dipstick out to eliminate home DIY people who don't understand, trying to do it themselves and consequently damaging their gearboxes.  all has to be done right temp and needs to be run through gears etc.....
99 GTI Stage 2
Audi quattro V8.......

volcanoblack

Thanks Mat - no wonder they took the dipstick away from us! That ATF Level check procedure leaves a lot we could screw up.

Cheers

BB

They don't need to make it so hard though they just do.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Lomax

Thanks for the info

for the time being, it seems like my guess level of ATF is working fine  :)

I'd say that when they took the dipstick out, they thought that if you have ~$160k for the car, you are not gonna do the trans service yourself, and they didnt care what happens 18 years later...
2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T