UrS4 auto trans service

Started by Lomax, March 16, 2012, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

user2154

Well who knows. Plebs could top it up with Dexron II which would not mix well with the VAG fluid causing damage.

If there is no evidence of a leak then it does not need topping up.

BB

Well that is up to plebs who own cars to do or not to do.
Fact is its like Vagnutter says the Audi power steering only leaks when morons top it up with ATF.
NO I say what happens is people get sick of pouring $60 a liter VAG oil into them when they can just let cheap red stuff leak out and it works ok for a while.
I myself just found a cheaper supply of the mineral oil at Air Flow Hydraulics.

Audi want to make it difficult and say the trans don't need servicing in their life time.
Good for them not so good for you as an older Audi owner.
It is what it is.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

00quattro00

I use the citreon lhm oil, its pretty cheap,

Its cheaper to use the correct oil than it is to use the wrong oil and have to rebuild pumps, racks and transmissions
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

BB

Not when the person has no intention of ever getting that stuff rebuilt it ain't.

My point is people don't only do it because they are plebs they do it because they get sick of pouring expensive oil into something that wore out prematurely even when it was on the correct oil, like VAG PS and Transmissions.

00quattro00

I am yet to come across a leaking pump or rack that has always had the proper oil, all my cars are nz new with full service history and have done 300,000km+ and none of them leak,
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

BB

::)
Well I have seen plenty of leaks Basil my old bean.
No doubt retard mechanics who do a job and have to drop the PS oil then do shorten there lives with ATF refills.
Hey most old Audi can last great if looked after but the PS pumps leaked all the time on the 100s and 200s etc and im sure some still had the right oil.
Its just mineral hydraulic oil.
And why is ATF so bad for them? Its safe with rubber isn't it? I have heard it swells the seals? I think the oil lubricates the rams better than ATF does is more the issue.

Lomax

Im affraid I have some ATF in the PS system, but so far no leaks, just the usual slightly wet PS pump (same as I had on my audi 80, 90 and my mates 100tq).

I just had an idea for the transmission level, if somebody with an S6 could measure the distance from the bottom of the oil pan to the fill plug bolt, we could have some reference that could be used to measure how high the level should be inside the dipstick tube, what do you guys think?
I'm counting on the pan being the same with only the dipstick tube and fill plug difference.
1994 Audi UrS6 6-speed manual
2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T
1990 Mk2 Golf, 1994 UrS4, 1990 Audi 80 2.0E Manual, 1990 Audi 80 2.0E donor, 1991 Audi 90 2.3E, 1985 Toyota Corona

00quattro00

I beleive the s6 trans is different, I have a spare s6 trans so can take some pics and measurements
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

zeitgeist

I have just had a new filter etc and flush done on my S4 trans, to quote the receipt:

"A lot of extra time was spent trying to locate a transmission dipstick or dipstick length. The best solution to obtaining the trans level was from a trans shop that had done a service on one a couple of weeks earlier and had the same problem. His advise was: Fill the trans pan cold, engine running, in park, to the trans pan gasket level which means making up a temporary dipstick to measure."
UrS6 6 speed

BB

Measure what comes out and refill the same amount, easy unless there was a big leak.

So is the newer fill from the bottom of the sump ones easier to do than the I don't have a dumb dipstick ones?

volcanoblack

Quote from: zeitgeist on July 12, 2012, 11:26:30 PM
I have just had a new filter etc and flush done on my S4 trans, to quote the receipt:

"A lot of extra time was spent trying to locate a transmission dipstick or dipstick length. The best solution to obtaining the trans level was from a trans shop that had done a service on one a couple of weeks earlier and had the same problem. His advise was: Fill the trans pan cold, engine running, in park, to the trans pan gasket level which means making up a temporary dipstick to measure."

Hopefully you will take the car back to the trans shop and have them follow the recommended procedure now that user2154 has kindly posted them above.

zeitgeist

What procedure? Can't do anything with those links in the absence of a dipstick.
UrS6 6 speed

Lomax

Quote from: zeitgeist on July 12, 2012, 11:26:30 PM

so what, did they fill your one up to the gasket? seems like too much to me, I dont think I have that much in my one...
1994 Audi UrS6 6-speed manual
2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T
1990 Mk2 Golf, 1994 UrS4, 1990 Audi 80 2.0E Manual, 1990 Audi 80 2.0E donor, 1991 Audi 90 2.3E, 1985 Toyota Corona

zeitgeist

They did, and you are probably right. However it is running excellently with no probs. For a car that is half the value of the Caldina GT I desired, I'm not going to any extra lengths to satisfy curiosity now.
UrS6 6 speed

BB

Its not so hard you measure what comes out and put that back in.
It was common to slightly over fill auto boxes so the fluid covered the valve bodies so if the gaskets were leaking they sucked in fluid and not air.

Vag people love to think things are more difficult than they really are.

zeitgeist

^Good call. It would be mad to not have a factor of safety built into something like this.

Incidentally I am a mechanical engineer.
UrS6 6 speed

BB

People are so addicted to procedure these days.
Ok there is good reason for procedure but to then freeze up if you can't follow it is bad.
If us mechanics went off searching the interweb every time we didn't know exactly how to do something we would never be off it.
That said I love what I learn from the web.

I always measure what comes out of gearboxes if they are of the stipulatusmakenotobvious variety.

zeitgeist

Agree.

Notice I am skirting around the fact that my mechanic didn't measure. I figured no point in lecturing him after the fact.
UrS6 6 speed

BB

I spend most of my time not doing mechanics so I can then go out and make all the mistakes I pretend I'm better than on the interweb :P

I'd better go do some car grovelling now :P :P

volcanoblack

Quote from: zeitgeist on July 16, 2012, 04:54:35 PM
What procedure? Can't do anything with those links in the absence of a dipstick.

Open the attachments with Internet Explorer.

The last procedure is for vehicles without a dipstick - and simply involves warming the car up and selecting all gears. Checking the level at the fill plug. Filling to the gasket cold might yield a good level when warm and after using all the gears but I would simply ask the shop to check it via the fill plug hole as described. Here is the text from the ATF Checking doc.

"ATF Level, Vehicles from 5/94, Checking and Correcting
Note:
The ATF level is checked at the ATF check-plug hole.

The ATF level is correct if fluid slightly runs out at the ATF check-plug hole with ATF temperature between 35 ? C and 45 ? C * See note (caused by the increase in the fluid level during warm-up)."

"After ATF temperature of 35 ? C is reached, remove ATF check-plug ( - arrow 1 - ) and if necessary drain excess fluid. 

If ATF leaks out of ATF check-plug hole before ATF has reached 40 ? C, ATF level is OK. 
Note: The ATF check-plug must be reinstalled when ATF temperature reaches 45 ? C * See note."