Best roads around NZ

Started by .:Ross, April 09, 2012, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.:Ross

So after a crazy idea conjured up on the drive home from the nationals on Sunday, I'm trying to find out where the best "driving" roads are around the country. Can be anything from most scenic to most frightening and everything in between.

Cheers

00quattro00

Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

Quote from: 00quattro00 on April 09, 2012, 11:23:42 PM
Seafeild Rd is good fun
Wheres Seafield Road? And whys it good fun??

Quote from: Toro on April 09, 2012, 11:24:04 PM
Here's a start:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/motoring/great-nz-roads/6324231/Top-10-NZ-roads-Number-10

Yeah just been reading those....also been looking at a bike forum link aswell....just wanted to get some first person experiences. My favourite has to be Queenstown to Wanaka across the Crown Range, just a fun road, plenty of twists, straights and camper vans to keep it interesting  >:( >:(

00quattro00

Quote from: ScottishRoss on April 09, 2012, 11:36:02 PM

Yeah just been reading those....also been looking at a bike forum link aswell....just wanted to get some first person experiences. My favourite has to be Queenstown to Wanaka across the Crown Range, just a fun road, plenty of twists, straights and camper vans to keep it interesting  >:( >:(

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?saddr=Puketitiri+Rd&daddr=Hill+Rd&hl=en&sll=-39.425984,176.820831&sspn=0.089637,0.20977&geocode=Fa0Rpv0dLNqICg%3BFYKEpv0dVMaKCg&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=13&z=13
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

KARTS

One of my favourites is the drive from Thames heading up the coast north to Coromandel township. You need it to be quiet traffic wise though so I leave Auckland super early to make sure of it. Full of tight twisties and some very fast flowing sections and all with a great view. Then head over the hills to the east coast. The hill road is a Targa Bambina stage and lot's of fun!
1987 mk II ABF track weapon (Choppy Developments)
1988 mk II GTI 16v
2011 mk 6  R

80 Vert

Quote from: ScottishRoss on April 09, 2012, 11:36:02 PM

Yep I'd vote for that, just did it a few times this week.
The other would be Queenstown to Glenorchy
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RobClubley

The old road from Hastings to Taumaranui - great driving road and awesome scenery. And the bits either side of the gravel part of the Forgotten World Highway.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Do enjoy Glenorchy to Queenstown. Have a mate that used to do the rally they had on that road before they sealed it all. Sounded like quite an event. The drive upto Mt Cooks pretty cool aswell, once you turn off the main highway. Roads not that old and still feels fresh, did it in an RS6 a while back. Couldn't wipe the grin off my face, scenery was outstanding, engine noise was sublime and the weather was perfect.

the phantom

the drive from the King Country to Taranaki is good, particularly through the Awakino Gorge
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Gordo

more scenic, Gisborne to Wairoa via Tiniroto, especially in the autumn. For driving, over the Rimutakas - if you got a clear run, also good brake test...
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

qta4

It really depends just where you guys want to drive.
If you were to take off from Tekawa crossroads, through to Maihiihi through to hoddles rd intersection to barbers road to te kuiti, used for many years on various rallies.
Simple to get there and a blast and also not a huge amount of traffic.
I could give you guys lots of options about here.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

FFS

Just give me a road without roadworks every 5min I'll be happy.

Toby

Quote from: ScottishRoss on April 09, 2012, 11:10:34 PM
So after a crazy idea conjured up on the drive home from the nationals on Sunday, I'm trying to find out where the best "driving" roads are around the country. Can be anything from most scenic to most frightening and everything in between.

Cheers

I don't think it was a crazy idea.... just gonna take some planning!!! The Crown Range has to be one of the best...  ;D ;D ;D
.....the best way to spoil a good walk!!

vwrally

The devils staircase (Queenstown to Kingston) can be a blast especially with no traffic,

the crown range was much better before they tar sealed it all

The Catlins coast road from Waikawa through to Owaka has some great bits and great scenery to match

In the north island, moonshine valley road is a blast as is Paikokareki Hill (No idea how to sell that one) and some of the back country roads   around Kawerau and Martinborough are pretty good as well

Have to say that the best roads in NZ don't have tar seal on them, an absolute classic is Cannibal Bay Road in the Catlins.

Other good ones are the the road into Bulwer in the Marlborouh sounds, the Skippers Road in Queenstown and the Black Forest Road that follows the pylons into the Benmore power station.

Audidude

Depends if you mean scenic or driving. I don't do scenic when I'm driving  ;)

One of the best drives has to be the Vinegar Hill run from the turnoff from Sh1 by that name through to Cheltenham near Feilding in either direction.
There are lots of off the beaten track roads used by Targa - one of the best ways to find these, apart from looking at the route maps, is to take a week off and chase the event. You can't usually drive the stages unless in the Targa Tour but getting to and from the stages uncovers some fantastic driving roads.
WARNING: I did that in 2005 and it's cost me a small fortune since then!!
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

the phantom

we drove from Auckland to Russell today, S1 to Whakapara then ou towards the coast, mostly third and fourth gear with brief flurries of excitment in fifth at 80 ks

was taking it reasonably gently for the copilot, but an interesting road
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

FFS

Quote from: Audidude on April 15, 2012, 08:41:11 AM
Depends if you mean scenic or driving. I don't do scenic when I'm driving  ;)

One of the best drives has to be the Vinegar Hill run from the turnoff from Sh1 by that name through to Cheltenham near Feilding in either direction.
There are lots of off the beaten track roads used by Targa - one of the best ways to find these, apart from looking at the route maps, is to take a week off and chase the event. You can't usually drive the stages unless in the Targa Tour but getting to and from the stages uncovers some fantastic driving roads.
WARNING: I did that in 2005 and it's cost me a small fortune since then!!

I was thinking the same thing about the Targa stages, Greg. Pretty much any route which they use is a great driving road. There are some brilliant sealed roads meandering through Northwest Waikato  some of which have featured of late in the Targa, and they're pretty quiet. I also enjoy SH22 Drury, Pukekohe through to Ngaruawahia via Naike. A good alternative to SH1 if time is not an issue. South of Tuakau the road is all but your own.

Audidude

Quote from: FFS on April 17, 2012, 11:45:24 PMThere are some brilliant sealed roads meandering through Northwest Waikato  some of which have featured of late in the Targa, and they're pretty quiet. I also enjoy SH22 Drury, Pukekohe through to Ngaruawahia via Naike. A good alternative to SH1 if time is not an issue. South of Tuakau the road is all but your own.

Couldn't agree more, and you can extend it to SH23 near Raglan if you turn right at Rotowaro onto Rotowaro road, then Waignaro Rd, through to SH23:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Pukekohe+East+Rd&daddr=-37.2931,174.94548+to:-37.58434,175.08703+to:SH23+raglan&hl=en&ll=-37.581589,175.024567&spn=0.582251,1.094513&sll=-37.403983,174.846039&sspn=0.583637,1.094513&geocode=FQZryP0d_BhtCg%3BFdTzxv0dyHRtCikhNwbzTFNtbTEArhMHYe8AEw%3BFSyCwv0dtp1vCilThqN6CzdtbTGh3JMGYe8AEw%3BFYu1vv0d60BsCil_UpMk0NUSbTHCHAk5vvPbHA&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=10&via=1,2&t=m&z=10

Cheers

PS: if you are heading that way and it's a weekend you can pop in for a cuppa at our bach at Waitetuna (pm me for the phone number and directions):
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Waitetuna+Valley+Road,+Waitetuna,+Waikato,+New+Zealand&daddr=State+Hwy%2FState+Highway+23&hl=en&ll=-37.840292,174.994354&spn=0.072527,0.136814&sll=-37.837625,174.940855&sspn=0.14506,0.273628&geocode=Fegdvv0drr1uCil_5WoZ4SltbTE-WsrdZzVK7w%3BFTPSvv0dIuxtCg&oq=Waitetuna+road&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=12&t=m&z=13

Note: "A" is not where we are of course

'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior