Most irrelevant Trademe keywords and spelling gems

Started by sifty, April 14, 2012, 04:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian

Quote from: sifty on March 27, 2018, 07:55:13 PM
Such a beautiful car, but... whoever restored this must really love smoking to put in a cigarette lighter like that. Maybe there was just a hole in the dash that needed filling?  ::)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mercedesbenz/auction-1500936006.htm?rsqid=48ffa28818204343a74d38f5fb47559e

Maybe a USB plug may have been more appropriate?
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

Gordo

Quote from: sifty on March 27, 2018, 07:55:13 PM
Such a beautiful car, but... whoever restored this must really love smoking to put in a cigarette lighter like that. Maybe there was just a hole in the dash that needed filling?  ::)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mercedesbenz/auction-1500936006.htm?rsqid=48ffa28818204343a74d38f5fb47559e

I don't think they were around then, to put a "period correct" one in?

What did catch my eye was the gate on the gear lever - it looked like a strangely marked 5 speed - 3 speed with OD on 2nd and 3rd? However, the listing says automatic - seems to have a clutch pedal, though, so some maybe some form of early preselect??
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

brian

I believe they had a normal 4 speed box...............the gear knob may match the cigarette lighter :laugh:
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

Gordo

A quick check suggests an 'overdrive' for the '36 (so if it operated on the top two gears?), with a 'proper' 4 sp in the '37.
As you suggest, perhaps the gear knob was just something that fitted as the markings still don't make sense.

Gordo

Reminds my of the old joke about the chap who won the pools and bought a big American v8, he was a bit unsure about it since he'd only driven manual cars before that but the dealer told him it was simple enough to figure out how it worked*. After a couple of days he took it back to the dealer with a blown up engine - the dealer asked what happened and the chap told him - "When I first got it it was fine, I just drove round in "L" for, you know, loafing around, then someone wanted a race and I put it in "D" for Drag and I was winning for a while but he started to catch up, so I put it in "R" for Race - and that's when it happened".

*Some Buick transmissions had low, drive and then reverse next to drive, with no neutral between them and, yes, some people did accidentally go from drive to reverse - one of my uncles was one, that's how I know.

the phantom

"are you starting an English language school?"    ;D
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

89 Coupe

Pretty funny comments ripping this fella out haha poor guy
1991 BMW E34 535i | 1989 Nissan Skyline R32 | 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 Coupe | 1989 Audi Coupe Quattro | 1996 Audi UrS6 | 1994 BMW E34 540i Touring | 1995 Audi 80 Quattro Avant | 1993 Audi UrS4 Avant | 1999 Audi S4 | 2009 Audi S8 | 1995 Toyota Cresta JZX90

Gordo

Quote from: 89 Coupe on April 09, 2018, 09:30:48 PM
Pretty funny comments ripping this fella out haha poor guy

To be fair, even for a 'second language' it was rather atrocious.
Would it have been so hard for him to use a spell check or a native engish speaker to check it out.

schattenblau

Quote from: Gordo on April 10, 2018, 08:11:09 PM
To be fair, even for a 'second language' it was rather atrocious.
Would it have been so hard for him to use a spell check or a native engish speaker to check it out.

i no good engish   ;D

the phantom

Gordo

Might have been all the comments about the spelling and grammar - or rather lack of them?

schattenblau

pristine
ˈprɪstiːn,ˈprɪstʌɪn/
adjective
adjective: pristine

in its original condition; unspoilt.

guess that badly scuffed bottom of the front bumper and the marks on the right front wheel were ex-factory...

>:D

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1622582958

the phantom

right side bolster on the driver's seat is significantly crushed and creased as well

NicB83

I have been sitting here for ages reading these posts hahaha  :D. So glad someone put this thread together!
Get In, Shut Up and Hang On! ;)

The Red Warrior

Quote from: schattenblau on May 11, 2018, 07:06:52 PM
another gem.

300kw without a reflash ?

;D

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1610680598

But what about this from the ad:

CUSTOM UPGRADES
Unitronic stage 2 computer and gear box software upgrade 300kw 0-100km in 3.5sec
engine stop removed
R600 intake & Pod filter
BCS power valve exhaust from turbo no CAT carbon fibre tips

schattenblau

A. Thanks it hasn?t had a ECU re flash 5:52 pm, Fri 11 May

::)