New Polo GTI test drive - Woooohooooo

Started by Filx, March 04, 2006, 06:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filx

After my partner Angela found out the new Polo GTI was a turbo she's been keen for a look, so we went for a test drive today (thanks to Dave at Conti's) and all I can say is - what a little cracker!!!

The first thing that struck me was feeling of solidity. Not just in the build quality but also in the driving of it - it really felt like you could pound on it all day and in all conditions and it would just keep coming back for more!! Obviously that's just my perception but it's not always a feeling you get (e.g. the Clio 182 we drove a few weeks ago was a quick car with tonnes of grip - but just felt a bit fragile)

The Conti's test car only had 1500km's on the clock and felt brisk rather than outright quick but has marvelous torque and well matched gearing. I think it would free up a little and even as it was is certainly very easy to drive along at pace. I think this car would be great on a winding back road - hard to get stuck in the wrong gear as you can choose to rev it or use the torque. Actually very similar in driving feel to the Mk1 - just more refined obviously. I'd also have to say it would be mighty hard to turn down the MTM chip they offer that bumps output to 180bhp!

The exhaust note was also a suprise - a nice gravely growl (though a little strangled up top). A subtle exhaust upgrade would I think really set tone nicely and remind you that you're driving something with more than just sporty pretensions.

As you'd imagine the interior is functional, the seats seemed excellent (cloth) with loads of adjustment, the climate a/c (optional) was good and even the factory stereo seemed more than adequate - all in all I certainly could not find a fault with it. Rear leg room is what I expected and is reasonable given the size of the car. The boot space looks very good (larger than I thought it would be).

Things I didn't like so much - the clutch is totally lifeless giving no clue to the engagement point though Angela liked it  ???. Suspension was slightly softer than I expected and seems to compromise towards comfort more than handling - a reflection of the market I suppose? And the power steering was maybe a touch light. All pretty minor things and some reasonably easily resolved by the aftermarket.

The little things I really liked - the small chunky steering wheel was one of the nicest factory wheels I've laid hands on in a while. The gearshift is excellent - solid and firm yet direct. But best of all you can easily heel/toe under brakes as the pedals are set very well (at least for my size 10s) with a light blip on the throttle to match the revs on the downshift! Fantastic  ;D

So in conclusion - absolutely love the car! It's excellent and I think with some tweaks would be really fantastic. I'm sure the Polo GTI will be the weapon of choice in the next few years from a tuning perspective, and I really can't think of any rivals that would offer such potential for the money?

But I'm still gutted there's no 3 door  :'(
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

hitmanGTI

there is a Three door.

i see them on a daily basis..

Filx

Quote from: HitmanGTI on March 05, 2006, 08:47:26 AM
there is a Three door.

i see them on a daily basis..

True, there is a 3 door GTI of course. But you can't buy one new in NZ through the official channel. If anyone knows any different let me know and we'll go get it.

Filx

Quote from: BD16vmk2GTI on March 05, 2006, 09:19:25 AM
How Much is it?
And why don't they bring in the three door?

List is $33,990.

There was a couple of reasons why they don't bring the 3 door that they gave us.
- The NZ market is mainly 5 door focused so 3 doors don't sell.
- That means when they order them from the factory if they order all of one type they get a better buy price, and as the NZ market is so tiny they wouldn't have the volume to get the same price if they brought in both variants.
- There is also the extra cost in parts for them to support two body shapes.

In someways I can understand the business reasons for the decision and I suppose at the end of the day if they brought both shapes in they would pass the costs on to the consumer anyway - which means the list price would be higher and their total volume would potentially suffer.

But that doesn't mean I don't think it's a shame. I think in the Polo GTI range the 3 door would potentially still sell well as it would appeal to a younger market than say the Golf and it's ~$20K cheaper.

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Filx on March 05, 2006, 09:39:07 AM
True, there is a 3 door GTI of course. But you can't buy one new in NZ through the official channel. If anyone knows any different let me know and we'll go get it.

Im sure they are here NZ NEW

Filx

Quote from: HitmanGTI on March 05, 2006, 06:07:36 PM
Im sure they are here NZ NEW

Mate - if you can find me one in metallic black I'll give you a $200 finders fee!  ;D

old4130

2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

Filx

Quote from: X 130R on March 06, 2006, 08:07:06 PM
There was a pic of a new 3Dr in an old post about the new Polo GTI

http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,2166.0.html

Yep my partner saw that and it's a big part of the reason for being out shopping as she is mad keen on a 3 door GTI. But everyone we spoke to in dealer land said no chance of getting a 3 door. I wonder if that was an evaluation model or one they brought over for a display/show or something? Wonder if it's still here or maybe it went on to Aus?

RS ZWEI

I was looking at a new Polo GTI and Eurocity here in HB on the weekend.
Has anyone noticed the VW logo in the front light bulbs?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

xring

Spoke with a VW dealer about 3dr Polo GTI. Their comment was that if someone came to them with a substantial deposit, they would talk to the right people. No promises, but they would at least try.

Suppose no-one will really know until someone gives it a go. As they say, 'money talks, bullcrap walks.'

I have a Polo GTI test drive booked for Sunday. Be interesting to see how it goes compared with my current mkIV V5 Golf. Certainly won't match my previous mkV GTI, but am looking at it with the aim of MTM or APR chip. Similar power to Golf GTI but lighter weight. Always wanted to try a go-kart on the road!!!!!!
Polo GTI 2013
Bora MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV V5 manual - gone
Golf MkV GTI manual- gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

Filx

Awesome - which dealer? We tried both Conti's and Giltraps and they both said no to getting a 3 door. We made a genuine offer AND to possibly waive the factory warranty (as part of their reason was it costs them too much to support both variants). I don't think you'd get much keener than that - but the answer was still no!  :(

Agree on the chip - that'll just set 'em alight nicely!

Cheers

xring

Local VW dealer in Wellington. It was during the "release" evening for the R32 and Polo GTI held there last Thursday night. Whether they could really do anything, who knows. But they said they would definitely take as far as they could.

Perhaps if there were a number of people prepared to place an order, VW NZ might be more interested. Are they really going to say no if say, 10 people turn up on their doorstep with a deposit and say they each want a 3dr Polo GTI?
Polo GTI 2013
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

Filx

Thanks Xring. Interesting thought on the "group buy". I'd imagine even 4 or 5 firm orders might do it.

xring

Had the Polo GTI out on test for a couple of hours yesterday. Very nice little kart. Obviously not as fast in a straight line as the MkV Golf GTI, but handled beautifully. Since selling my MkV GTI, I am finding that the MkIV V5 is just too soft in the handling, and the tyres squeal far too easily. The Polo GTI on the other hand, didn't squeal at all while going through the corners quicker than I would try in the V5. Only dissapointment for me was the brakes. But then the car had only done 24km when I picked it up, so hopefully they would improve with a bit of bedding in. Car had no problems handling the standard 110kw, so my thoughts of MTM (135kW) or APR (152kW) chip don't seem so daft after all. Has certainly got me thinking.
Polo GTI 2013
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone

Filx

Awesome. We had no issues with the brakes on the test car we drove and totally agree you get the feeling it will handle a decent amount of extra power with no major issues. One minor criticism I had of the car was the steering was a little vague and over assisted right around dead centre. Did you notice that? I can't say I've driven many late model VWs so maybe that's normal?

xring

Steering felt very similar to my MkV Golf GTI. Chipped Polo would make an interesting sleeper.
Polo GTI 2013
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone