Author Topic: DUBSTAR'S PROJECT - Weiß Hase - 1976 Golf LS  (Read 24530 times)

Offline dubstar

• ##
  • Golf GTI - It's all things to all men.
Re: DUBSTAR'S PROJECT - Weiß Hase - 1976 Golf LS
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2015, 01:45:12 pm »
With the arrival of son number 2 (Hamish), progress has been slow.

I have upgraded to a Weber 32/36 which had made the car a lot more lively

I also made a bracket to attach the fire extinguisher.  I didn't want to drill holes in the floor so came up with this:

Finally........I picked up a 2L 8v.  It is an AGG with a nicely worked Mk2 40mm valve head.  I will be working this one up slowly, along with a close ratio ACD gear box I sourced.  Final goal is to fit the bargain DHLA45s I scored.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Offline M M

• #
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2015, 03:03:00 pm »
That interior looks good, nice work.
Bought not built.

Offline RS ZWEI

• Administrator
  • ####
    • http://www.vask.org.nz
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2015, 07:33:37 pm »
What are you using for a distributor?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26

Offline spooln

• ##
  • Sciroccos come in 2 litres!
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2015, 08:34:11 pm »
Congrats on no2!
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI.12 Abarth 595C Competizione, 17 XC90 T6 Polestar.

Offline dubstar

• ##
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2015, 10:09:29 am »
There's a company up the road, 'Scorcher,' who modify vac advance dizzies into pure mechanical advance dizzies.  They re-curve them to match your engine.

I was thinking about programmable ignition, but need to consider that a bit more before investing
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Offline 00quattro00

• ###
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2015, 12:55:32 pm »
You are probably  going to find those 45's are going to be far too big
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

Offline dubstar

• ##
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2015, 05:43:54 pm »
With the cam and the headwork I'm hoping to push peak power out to 6000rpm (std AGG is 5500), then using the calculations for venturi size and subsequently barrel size (best described in the link at bottom), 45 should be almost perfect.  I will need to re-jet them as they were on a fairly modded 2000cc fiat 124.

http://www.s262612653.websitehome.co.uk/DVAndrews/dellorto.htm

Offline dubstar

• ##
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2016, 11:32:50 pm »
So it's been a while.  I have decided to give the 020 rebuild a go.  I have basically printed off the entire BrokeVW rebuild instructions and am using them as my guide.

I started by making up some of the tools required using various steel off cuts.  The first pic shows the input shaft support bar, the second shows the shift fork release tool. 

I also got a nice shiny new press for my Birthday

I have removed the 5th cover and shift forks, but my old pullers are too 'fat' to fit under the gear set.  I've ordered a new puller set, so will crack in when that arrives

Offline dubstar

• ##
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2016, 04:55:30 pm »
So, I got a few hours in today.

I used my homebuilt case splitter to split the case

The internals look pretty good.  A few little marks, but no missing teeth (in my initial inspection).  The downside is that the diff is still riveted, not bolted.

Now I need to decide what parts I will replace.  Bearings, gaskets, etc, etc….any expert thoughts or should I just replace the low?

Offline dubstar

• ##
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2016, 11:08:22 pm »
Quick update, if you can call it that.

The gearbox is all together now and I am now finishing off the engine.  A few bits to go.  The DHLA's are all overhauled and ready to go on the manifold, which just needs some porting

Offline dubstar

• ##
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2017, 01:09:09 pm »
Been another long break between posts, but there has been significant progress.
I have been ripping everything I can out of the engine bay in preparation for lifting out the engine and gearbox.  I will be posting a bigger summary and possibly a timelapse soon, but in the meantime I need some wiring help as I am trying to remove/update some of the 40 years old wiring in the engine bay.

Here is where the engine bay is at.  Wires labelled and almost everything out of the bay.

My question relates to the alternator wiring.  I will be upgrading to a 90amp alternator with the bolt down posts (the old one was the rubber plug type).
I just want to know about the blue/white wire that originally went to the B+ terminal on the alternator (the other blue wire is the excitor wire).
It plugs into harness spot A4.  On the ‘1976 Golf’ wiring diagram in the workshop manual it says that it should terminate in the C plug on the harness….it doesn’t……..anyway question is.  What does this wire do?  I have a feeling that it is part of the diagnostic circuit and doesn’t do anything else.  Can anyone confirm?  I am removing the diagnostics, so if it is, I won’t run a new wire for it.

I will be redoing the power wires as they are fatigued and I really don’t like how ‘light’ they are for the main charging circuit.