DUBSTAR'S PROJECT - Wei? Hase - 1976 Golf LS

Started by dubstar, April 23, 2012, 04:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubstar

I've been hanging out for a project car for a year+ now and I finally found a Mk1 3 door.  The search has been long, with a few near misses, but it's complete!

There's tidying up to do, but overall its in great condition.  I'm about to head on holiday so I don't pick it up until June, but it's all mine....

Plans are:

1) I managed to find one of these body kits, which are really rare and should look grouse. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/marsfield/auto-body-parts/vw-golf-body-kit-for-mk1-mk2-golf/1001271379

2) That should allow me to cut the fenders to run some 17" BBS, I'll try for 7" wide, but may have to settle for 6".

3) I'll leave the engine as is, because its original.  I may add a 36 Weber carb down the line.

Kidding.....

In reality the plans are:

1) Keep the outside minty fresh/period patina
2) Good suspension and some wider 14/15's with sticky rubber.
3) I want to go 2.0L crossflow 8v and run some Weber DCOEs, but use programmable ignition.
4) Interior needs a full strip out.  I want some oldschool race seats, like on the early 911s/minis/fiats.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

GTI's

thats damning awesome!  What a tidy MK1 score!
dunno about the body kit mate!

The Truth

That is a minter, probably opening a can of worms here, but I don't know about the kit  :-X

nacnud

Tidy!

What about some 17" Enkei g zeros for it?

They would look good with that bodykit.

;D
Whatcha Think?
Flickr

1991 Jetta ABF

CGK

dubstar

In reality the plans are:

1) Keep the outside minty fresh/period patina
2) Good suspension and some wider 14/15's with sticky rubber.
3) I want to go 2.0L crossflow 8v and run some Weber DCOEs, but use programmable ignition.
4) Interior needs a full strip out.  I want some oldschool race seats, like on the early 911s/minis/fiats.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

M M

Bought not built.

AndyGti

spooln

Nice!! How rare are mk1s over there? Post some picks of the interior please!
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

Filx

Awesome - looks like a pearler. Definitely needs a dose of lowness though - hahhaaa. Also a little black sticker at the bottom of the F to turn it into an E would epic school boy humour!
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

coons

That's a minter! All it needs is a drop and some 15" BBS RS and it's a winner

sifty

BB

That is SFX on wheel Dubstar!
How much did it cost over there if you don't mind telling?
Its so cool being small lights and chrome bumpers
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

dubstar

It cost me $3000, which is about average here. There has been one or two 1000 bargains, but they are generally in need of more bodywork

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

BB

Quote from: dubstar on April 27, 2012, 02:19:43 AM
It cost me $3000, which is about average here. There has been one or two 1000 bargains, but they are generally in need of more bodywork

That is worth $3000 all day long its just beautiful, Im so glad its in your hands and you won't make a meal of it.
Keep it clean and original.
Except for the ABF........believe me an ABF will make you way way happier than farting around on a 8v tho I know you love your 8vs ;)
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

chis

formerly mk1 gti
currently gti engineering mk2 which got ABF'd!
B5 S4
B5 RS4

dubstar

Quote from: RS ZWEI on April 27, 2012, 07:48:35 AM
What suspension are you thinking Bryce?

I'd like to go height and rebound adustable.  What did your old man end up using?  I'm in Berlin this week so may try to get to tm tuning

RS ZWEI

Quote from: dubstar on May 03, 2012, 08:08:42 AM
I'd like to go height and rebound adustable.  What did your old man end up using?  I'm in Berlin this week so may try to get to tm tuning

Dad had the same as what you had in your Mk2. Ive got the rebound adjustable ones.
It might be worth looking into KW as well?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

80 Vert

looks like a cracking little car Bryce, someone has looked after that one!
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

dubstar

So, I'm back from Europe and on Sunday I went to Geelong to pick up my new car.  I was tempted to drive him home, but with 120km to travel I opted for a car trailer. Em has named him Andy. (there has be a toy story joke there about owning other cars at a racetrack and writing Andy on their tyre tread)

Anyway, Andy is in nice solid condition, not mint, but definitely workable.  I have ordered all the manuals I need, so will start pulling bits off over the next few weeks.  There are 3 bits of rust to deal with and a very badly cracked/wavy dash to replace (anyone got one of those black plastic ones?!?).

The suspension (I have driven it around the block a few times....don't tell the po po) rides like a boat.  I think it stopped rocking this morning after my drive last night (maybe it was the earthquake).  I've found a great deal on Spax RSX fully adjustable coilovers.  Anyone had any experience?  They seem like a really good deal and have features that match the KW V3, etc?

Pics will come soon....once it stops raining.