DUBSTAR'S PROJECT - Wei? Hase - 1976 Golf LS

Started by dubstar, April 23, 2012, 04:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS ZWEI

Quote from: dubstar on June 22, 2012, 10:39:47 AM
So, I'm back from Europe and on Sunday I went to Geelong to pick up my new car.  I was tempted to drive him home, but with 120km to travel I opted for a car trailer. Em has named him Andy. (there has be a toy story joke there about owning other cars at a racetrack and writing Andy on their tyre tread)

Anyway, Andy is in nice solid condition, not mint, but definitely workable.  I have ordered all the manuals I need, so will start pulling bits off over the next few weeks.  There are 3 bits of rust to deal with and a very badly cracked/wavy dash to replace (anyone got one of those black plastic ones?!?).

The suspension (I have driven it around the block a few times....don't tell the po po) rides like a boat.  I think it stopped rocking this morning after my drive last night (maybe it was the earthquake).  I've found a great deal on Spax RSX fully adjustable coilovers.  Anyone had any experience?  They seem like a really good deal and have features that match the KW V3, etc?

Pics will come soon....once it stops raining.

When you would have seen my MK1 it ran Spax suspension, a spring and damper kit though. I really enjoyed it.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

BB

I love mk1s.
Im working on kevadventures cabby right now and its so easy and mostly well made.
Well its still going and will still go for 30 more years if its looked after.
Remember KISS? Keep it simple stupid.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

GTI's

I'm running spax rsx in my mk2  Awesome ride!    >:D

dubstar

Quote from: GTI's on June 22, 2012, 01:26:54 PM
I'm running spax rsx in my mk2  Awesome ride!    >:D

That's good to know.  It seems they are popular with other car makes, but not so with VW guys? 

Just had an email back and they are AUD890 shipped to Australia.  Bargain considering I think I paid $850 for the Patec's I had on the Mk2.

God, I've missed man shopping for my car....
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

spooln

77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

dubstar

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

coons

That interior looks mint! Looks like your picked up and absolute score there

dubstar

The interior is actually pretty ratty.  Will need new dash, front seats and parcel shelf.  I was thinking about going to some of those black door cards from old skool vw.

dubstar

I have opening vent windows and I need the latch for the ledt side as it has dropped off at some point and the window is just taped shut.  It looks like this (apparently the same as some transporters).

It is the glue on type

Any help?

BB

I may have the latch and I also just got given some two door black door cards with the handles etc your welcome to them. Not perfect but good for the age.
I think I gave a very good black plastic old dash to the guy who bought my ABF mk1, Ill see if it can be got.
You have to keep those seats tho! Just get em redone I love them.

Your dash is ok as well really, if you have the money you can do it all but really they are old and can't be perfect......... 8) Can they?

dubstar

I think the car can be pretty damn good with a little effort.

The dash is completely f**ked, as it sat for another 18months afetr those photos were taken.  Its got more cracks then a plumbers convention and is all wavy and horrible.

The seats will stay for the time being, but my goal is to make it a bit of a weekend racer.  I'll keep the exterior stock looking, but interior will be more stripped out and the engine/suspension played with.

It's always a fine line as to 'leave stock' for the historic value or modify for fun.  I think I hit the right balance with the Mk2 and will try to get the same result with the Mk1.

rambo_005

dubstar

80 Vert

Looks like a really tidy little car Bryce, I'm sure you'll do it justice.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

dubstar

I need a new battery and I'm weighing up whether to spend $250 on a odyssey 'race battery'.  Small, light and mountable upside down.

Or

Spend $130 on a standard battery.

Leaning towards a std battery unless someone comes up with a fantastic argument for the race car.

80 Vert

Odyssey batteries are awesome, the tiny battery starts my R32T with ease and since its under the floor in the boot being small counts for quite a lot.
One problem is that it seems to drain down if left for more than 1-1.5 weeks so I'll probably end up getting a bigger one as modern cars seem to have more stuff draining the battery when not in use.

dubstar

80 Vert

Dunno, I'll see if I can find the blurb on it tomorow.
Bought it in the US, guy told me that a lot of the Honda drag guys use them as they are about half the weight of a normal battery however I think its a little small on the capacity side for my car.
Will use it for the Ghia and buy a bigger one for the Jetta.

BB

Get the Koba brand battery if you can.
Partmaster haas been selling them for a year now and zero returns! The old brand had 100s of returns ::) Supercharge= supercrap.

All VWs seem to drain battery's when left for a week or two ??? My vert mk1 is the only golf Ive ever owned that can sit for 2 weeks and then still start and thats with the alarm set.
My friends had a mk1 and 2 out at Piha and constantly had flat batterys even though they were new batterys and the charging system worked and they were tested for drains.
Went to Nissans and never had a problem since..... ???

bigbumper

Just fit a battery kill switch if the car is going to sit regularly?

These ones are easy to fit (and remove), and all of about $10 from Ripco... I have one on my Abarth, it works a charm