DUBSTAR'S PROJECT - Wei? Hase - 1976 Golf LS

Started by dubstar, April 23, 2012, 04:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTI's

rambo_005

dubstar

Going to move the discussion about seats from the rocco thread to here.

My ultimate seat would be a pair of Recaro Rally 2

However, short of winning lotto, I will have to settle on something similar.  My current favourites are:

Mini buckets

OMP Donningtons

Cobra Classics

The OMP Donnigtons are on sale at the moment and I could get them landed here for under $500 for the pair, brand new.  Only problem is that the picture makes them look ugly and out of shape and I can't find any pictures where someone has actually fitted them in a car.

I'm open to any old school bucket style seat as long as it has a head rest and is not too big that it would look out of place ina little Mk1.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

BB

+1 on the OMPs and I did look at all of them :)
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

spooln

I like the cobra ones. I also really like you existing setup. Are they to far gone to keep?
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

80 Vert

Same as Neil on the Cobra, they look quite a lot like his Opel GT's
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Filx

Shame you can't sit in them up front as that makes the most difference. I would probably vote OMP except it would be nice if they didn't have the OMP logo stenciled on the headrest. The OMPs in the Vento are suprisingly comfortable and well made for relatively inexpensive seats.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

dubstar

New battery and homebuilt tray.  Went with a Full River battery in the end.  Exactly the same as the Odyssey, but only $120.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

BB

dubstar

It still needs some cleaning up and a coat of black paint, but its secure, so that's the main thing.

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

dubstar

Nope, not yet.

Last weekend I pulled all the old boat-like shocks out.  I have decided to switch to later style top mounts on the front, but unfortunately, the mounts I got didn't have the correct spacers and washers included, so I've spent the week tracking down the correct ones.

Today I got the rear shocks in.  Prothane top mounts and coated in lithium grease to protect the threads.

I also found some of the old underseal peeling off in the front arch.  So i ground it back and, using the por15 etching solution and por15 top coat, corrected the little bit of rust that was the present.  Then coating it in underseal, which looks like a cat with explosive diarrhea backed up to my car and let loose.

Finally, i used my homebuilt pressure bleeder to bleed the brakes.  It worked amazingly, managed to bleed all 4 corners, by myself in under 20minutes.  Build one, if you haven't already.

Also, what's this? Some kind of diagnostic hub?

BB

Nice shed.
I have a sales brochure of a mk1 golf and they show it at the VW service garage and they do have a diagnostic machine they plugged into a port where your one is.
God knows what they can diagnose on an old points driven mk1 ???

dubstar

I know! Plug it in...umm...yes, we can confirm your battery is flat.  Seems a waste of 450g of wiring.  Will see if I can hide it or I'll trace it back and get rid of it completely.

For anyone interested, this is the build instructions for the brake bleeder:

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/campingart/jettatech/bleeder/index.htm

Mine came in $11 (sprayer), $6 (hose), $15 (brass fittings), $2 (tyre valve) = $34

80 Vert

Yep thats a diagnostic of sorts, checks lights etc..........bit of a gimmick in the day really. Came out on Beetle's first.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

BB

Don't delete It dubstar! Its part of its charm!
Find an old "diagnostics" machine to plug into it!
I will scan in the brochure.....
I am so dumb I am bad at doing pics on here and I could do so many good ones :-[
I will try now....

BB

BB

You will be able to suss stuff from it like Alt voltage etc with a multi meter. Bit like you can by touching one on the battery terminals but that's no fun is it.
It was all about smoke and mirrors. Always has been and always will be ;)

dubstar

Wonder where I could get the plug and analysis tool........