DSG oil in NZ

Started by 6evil9, April 27, 2012, 02:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

Finally some sense in this topic!! Well done!!

$600 or a new transmission, can't believe some people put in non-genuine oil. Maybe you guys should price up a new trans, then see how you feel about putting any old oil in there.  ::)

Quote from: ranton-inc on May 18, 2012, 06:45:20 AM
I always find myself infinitely confused as to why people want a car with the toys but forever refuse to pay for the servicing...

Pay the 600 bucks get the service done and enjoy the fact youll get another 60,000kms out of your transmission so long as you dont abuse it like a boy racer...

You don't get your Hands dirty and run the risk of rooting something by not recalibrating the DSG Correctly, and if the Service people do it and it lunches itself liability falls back on them! (on the proviso you havent deliberately driven it outside its limits)

Its $100.00 for every 10,000kms (its 0.01 cents per km) pretty cheap if you ask me.. you cars worth jack with a Toast transmission..
Too much power is almost enough.

nutymike

Quote from: 6evil9 on May 17, 2012, 07:26:32 PM
As i mentioned before,
2) Qualitat sell Genuine ~$40 per litre
3) ATP have 5liters GENUINE for $170+gst

so you are out of business mate :)

Just called Qualitat myself they do not sell genuine dsg oil it is an aftermarket product.

the phantom

I think Anton hit it on the head, in the long run some things just aren't worth saving money on
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

BB

Quote from: nutymike on May 18, 2012, 08:58:59 AM
Just called Qualitat myself they do not sell genuine dsg oil it is an aftermarket product.

An aftermarket product they seem happy to stand behind. No doubt produced by a massive multi billion dollar company. VW themselves use Valvoline as there genuine oil so this whole "genuine" crap is just what bottle they shove it in and who they can trick more money out of unless you buy some unknown Super Cheap crap with a label on the back saying not to be used as its intended product ::) ::)

As for the doing a DSG yourself I think Ranton is right in some ways. No doubt there is jiggery and pokery and special ways to do and don't so if you are going to do it yourself make sure you look up online for a forum how too or something to make sure you are doing it right.

This is a forum that should encourage people to have a go if they want but to also be aware of the possible risks.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Thirdeye

so.... to avoid any major dsg issues in the future, does everyone recommend changing the dsg oil ever 60,000km? or with ever service? (15,000km), etc...
2007 VW Golf GTi - (NZ New)

ranton-inc

Quote from: Thirdeye on May 18, 2012, 02:31:41 PM
so.... to avoid any major dsg issues in the future, does everyone recommend changing the dsg oil ever 60,000km? or with ever service? (15,000km), etc...
every 60,000

dont do it to often one itll cost you an arm and a leg and two its unnecessary!

schattenblau

That's what Armstrongs told me too.

My car was 7yrs old/done 33k when I got it.

They said it was safe to wait until 60k for the DSG service.

Thirdeye

Sweet I will keep that in mind :)
2007 VW Golf GTi - (NZ New)

ranton-inc

Quote from: Thirdeye on May 18, 2012, 03:05:38 PM
Sweet I will keep that in mind :)

one of the worst things i found you can do in a DSG is reversing up steep driveways

People often feather/flutter the accelerator like you would do in a Auto and some manuals when trying to reverse up

DONT

just push your foot to a level you see suitable  and hold it there don't flutter the throttle or the poor mechatronics unit will try and bite according to one Engine speed and then you go adjust it from underneath it!!!!

My Personal recomendation is your better to reverse down steep driveways and drive forwards out of them.. its less stressful on you and the gearbox..

nutymike

Quote from: BB on May 18, 2012, 12:03:43 PM
An aftermarket product they seem happy to stand behind. No doubt produced by a massive multi billion dollar company. VW themselves use Valvoline as there genuine oil so this whole "genuine" crap is just what bottle they shove it in and who they can trick more money out of unless you buy some unknown Super Cheap crap with a label on the back saying not to be used as its intended product ::) ::)

My point Jeremy was that he was comparing my Genuine prices to aftermarket prices (he thought they sold genuine) Im in no doubt that the qualitat oil is good ,I know they wouldnt use a product that could cause damage.(I used to work there you should remember me ;) )

BB

Quote from: nutymike on May 18, 2012, 04:50:09 PM
My point Jeremy was that he was comparing my Genuine prices to aftermarket prices (he thought they sold genuine) Im in no doubt that the qualitat oil is good ,I know they wouldnt use a product that could cause damage.(I used to work there you should remember me ;) )

Don't remember which one you are but might if I saw you ;)

Point taken ;) What was the brand Qualitat were selling?
I bought genuine FSI engine oil from Giltrap and it was a 5l bottle of Valvoline. Cheaper than the Royal packet from Partmaster I will add!

VAG do not make their own oils, they buy in oils and put it in there own package.

Madness to think of changing the DSG oil every 15k, but also madness to leave you engine oil in for 15k.............change when dirty......
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?