Car shakes

Started by will.o, May 09, 2012, 09:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will.o

When I got the golf it would shake when hitting around 100km/h. Was informed this was because of uneven tyre wear.

Put 4 new tyres on the golf, they were balanced when fitted, but now the car shakes at lower speeds, usually when accelerating. Shakes pretty bad around 30 - 50km/hr in 2nd and 3rd gear. But once I'm over that speed its fine. Still shakes a little around 100 but not as bad as the lower speeds.

Ideas?

Cheers.

PS. This is Sam Cooney's old Golf if that helps.

00quattro00

Does it have after market wheels? Do they have center bore locating rings?
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

will.o

Yeah its got after market wheels. The wheels aren't hub centric. Would that cause vibrations that bad? Its a forum members old car. He ran these wheels for a couple of years with no problems.

00quattro00

Quote from: will_o on May 09, 2012, 09:37:09 PM
Yeah its got after market wheels. The wheels aren't hub centric. Would that cause vibrations that bad? Its a forum members old car. He ran these wheels for a couple of years with no problems.

Certainly will, get some hub rings, cheaper than new tyres
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

80 Vert

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

coons

I ran these wheels for like 2 years with no issue. It bolts locate it, theoretically and legally for a low volume vehicle (ie a car) they don't need to be hub centric.

If it only just started after changing the tyres I'd be questioning the balancing job?  :-\

But I mean you can't go wrong with hub centric rings anyway if you wanted to give that a go too

will.o

I have a feeling it has something to do with the fitting too.

Wasn't that bad before I had the new tires put on.

00quattro00

The bolts wont center it 100%, theres a chance who ever re fitted the wheels could not have them centered
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

deedub

Quote from: coons on May 09, 2012, 10:30:12 PM
I ran these wheels for like 2 years with no issue. It bolts locate it, theoretically and legally for a low volume vehicle (ie a car) they don't need to be hub centric.

If it only just started after changing the tyres I'd be questioning the balancing job?  :-\

But I mean you can't go wrong with hub centric rings anyway if you wanted to give that a go too

Nope, if you have bolts you need to have a hubcentric set up.

If you have non-hubcentric wheels with a VW style wheel bolt setup, you'll more likely than not get at least some vibrations unless you install the wheel with a tool designed to keep it centred as the bolts are tightened.

As far as I know, you won't pass a cert with non-hubcentric wheels on cars like ours. But hub centering rings are so inexpensive, it's not a problem. I'd recommend getting metal ones rather than plastic though.
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

coons

Yep I've passed 2 Certs with non hub centric wheels, and I asked to make sure it was okay.
He said low volume vehicles need either one or the other, the rings or tapered bolts

If for no other reason though, having the wheels hub centric makes the wheel like 100% easier to put the wheel on!

deedub

Quote from: coons on May 10, 2012, 09:52:35 AM
Yep I've passed 2 Certs with non hub centric wheels, and I asked to make sure it was okay.
He said low volume vehicles need either one or the other, the rings or tapered bolts

If for no other reason though, having the wheels hub centric makes the wheel like 100% easier to put the wheel on!

So you can get away with it for tapered bolts but not ball seat? Interesting.

Even with tapered bolts, you still often get vibrations without hubcentric rings - I've noticed it when trail fitting wheels etc before sorting rings.
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

BB

There are many reasons cars shake.
I would get the center rings as they are so easy and then you know. I had non center fitting wheels and they went from terrible to fine depending on how careful I fitted them.
I also suggest an alignment.
If you take a car to a shop and say its shaking and they fit new tyres and its not better you can take it back and they will check the balance and then fit the wheels better if needed or tell you what you need and order the rings if they are a good shop.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

will.o

Thanks,

I went back in today and they had a look. They seem to think its caused by not having the rings as well. They didn't have any that fit and said they will need to be custom made, costing around $30 each.

The size is 57.1 - 63.1

BB

Get em made, or jack the car and crack the wheel nuts and then very carefully center the wheel and tighten the bolts a little bit, then use a screwdriver and your eyechrometer to see if you can make it even better and then tighten and see if its better. It is is it cost you nothing.
I was supposed to get the rings but I carefully fitted my wheels and I was running smooth as silk ;)

watercooled

Been there had that,get the hub rings and forget your problems after that,about $20-25 per set usually.
1974 Porsche 914 with 2.2T 911 6cyl,
Audi a6 allroad 2007 3.0TDI stage 1 reflash ,
89 Corrado 2.0 16v, Stilauto RX 17in wheels,ABF on k/jet ,resto underway maybe up for sale ?,
2002 T4 transporter 2.5 TDI.

BB

I found I could wait to get rings made or just get my car going good right there and then.
But by all means the rings are good.
You can get them straight tho without them.

will.o

All sorted. Thanks for the help from everyone! And cheers 00quattro00 for cutting me some rings! Champ