B5 Actuator replacement 00 Quattro model.

Started by maikkiquattro, May 21, 2012, 08:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maikkiquattro

So last weekend I had my window drop into my door and would not go back up, so I took the panel off to investigate and found the brackets on the sliding mechanism of the actuator had broken due to use or the plastic becoming brittle.

So I took the brackets into Continental Cars - Audi parts, where they informed me that you cannot buy the plastic bracket replacements on their own, and infact come as part of the entire actuator assembly. Fair enough.. so i purchased the entire brand new actuator system for RH front door. Set me back $180 incl GST brand new, thus with a staff discount. I think usual retail is around $220 so not overall a bad price considering what you get.

Decided to document how I did this and share it in-case anyone else comes across this problem and wishes to do it their self rather than paying someone else.

New Actuator

Remove door panel

I recommend photographing the plugs, although most only fit in one way and one place and are also colour coded, it does make it more simple when you cant fit your head behind the panel to see the plugs. also you will need to release the door handle cable from its hook.

Ok so the panel is removed, you need to unplug the power window motor, and unclip all cabling from the black frame within the door frame. There is also a major plug behind the interior wing mirror cover (which comes off by just pulling it) and is located behind some foam. Once you have done this you can unscrew the 4 large star shaped screws located left and right of the panel. once you have removed them, lift the black surround including the glass etc out by lifting it.

Should look like this.. I gave it all a good clean as some moisture does get in here and with a bit of a wipe it comes out looking new.

So this is what you have, as you can see the actuator system is located on the outter side.

alright so they riveted the actuator onto the interior door framing. You will need a 3.5mm drill bit to drill these out. Be careful and drill straight through the centre of the rivet otherwise you may ruin the factory drilled hole, therefore throwing out the alignment of the new actuator when you go to install it and rivet it in.

Unpack new actuator

so this is the frame you should have after the faulty actuator has been removed, give it a clean if its dirty.

I chose Aluminum 4.8mm rivets with 6.4mm grip. Seemed to fit perfectly.

refit the glass and push actuator glass mount brackets up to the glass and tighten, Fit the motor off the old actuator onto the new actuator.

Done~! now put it all back together in the door and it should work like new :)