B8 RS4 Review

Started by le mans, June 14, 2012, 12:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

All fun till you come round the corner to find a old VW camper van broken down half over the road.
But yea I'm sure there are a few safe places to have a blat but as I get older I find they are less and less what I consider actually safe.....
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Stickman

Quote from: UKRSKiwi on July 08, 2012, 11:07:32 AM
Basically any windy road, these things eat corners and it's their forte. You don't need to drive fast or like a dangerous prick to enjoy them. The speed becomes irrelevant as they just keep pulling and pulling all the way to the limiter so you need the windy road to create more dynamic enjoyment.

Oh and track days for a yearly blowout.

yearly...I think I would have to plan much more frequent track visitations. >:D
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4

UKRSKiwi

Quote from: BB on July 08, 2012, 11:12:36 AM
All fun till you come round the corner to find a old VW camper van broken down half over the road.
But yea I'm sure there are a few safe places to have a blat but as I get older I find they are less and less what I consider actually safe.....

This is the NZ driver quality problem. The vast majority of nz drivers don't understand what driving to the conditions actually means. Whether its sight lines, weather, road conditions etc.

Kiwis are horrendous drivers.

I drive like everyone and everything is out to kill me. This means I am not the dickead on the road despite what I drive.
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
MRC Stage 2 Induction Manifold
Milltek Exhaust and 100 Cell DP's
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

Stickman

Quote from: UKRSKiwi on July 08, 2012, 11:59:25 AM
This is the NZ driver quality problem. The vast majority of nz drivers don't understand what driving to the conditions actually means. Whether its sight lines, weather, road conditions etc.

Kiwis are horrendous drivers.

I drive like everyone and everything is out to kill me. This means I am not the dickead on the road despite what I drive.
Agreed. Having driven many different roads across the world, NZer's are pretty shocking. Kiwi's love to think that they are ace rally drivers when in reality, have very poor techniques. Anyone can pilot a car at speed thinking that they are brilliant...it is how the unexpected is managed that separates the men from the boys IMO.

But it isn't just the big things like evasive braking, controlling slides etc. that I have noticed, it is the small road craft skills like keeping left, reading the traffic and responding appropriately (big fault here i suppose is people who watch the arse of the car in front rather than the road ahead...), knowing how to effectively and safely over take, knowing how to read distances when pulling into traffic and the such.
I like fast toys.

2007 Audi RS4

BB

I just drove out to Piha. I actually drive almost as slow as the signs say too which I feel is the safe speed. I came across a few cyclists (suicidal me thinks) and was glad I was really going what I think is nice and slowly. Safe without question.
There would be very few safe places in which you can travel anything other than pretty slowly which any car can do.
To even begin to open up a RS4 you are taking risks in NZ and definitely breaking the law.

Bend and twist that truth however you want too ;)
Just do be careful. :angel:

UKRSKiwi

Quote from: BB on July 08, 2012, 08:01:59 PM
To even begin to open up a RS4 you are taking risks in NZ and definitely breaking the law.

Utter rubbish. Granted the places are few and far between but they are out there.

I recently drove the Stelvio pass in Italy with my RS, the car was definitely 'opened up' but not once did I break the law on the ascent, nor did I take a 'risk' that would constitute a danger to any road users. The conditions on that ascent led to that scenario. I certainly didn't keep to the speed limit on the flat clearer stretches at the top though... :)

This isn't twisting anything,  but to say you cannot enjoy a vehicle and open it up safely and within the law is more than a little blinkered. By 'open up' I am clearly not talking about top speed. The car will always be throttled back in terms of speed unless on a track, but engine range and handling can be used.

I owned a 63 beetle, I certainly 'opened up' that on more than one occasion. I almost got to 138 downhill with a tailwind.
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

BB

Full revs in 2nd gear and your breaking the law in NZ. Maybe even first in a RS4 manual?

I'm not going to argue about it but I think owning fast cars in NZ is pretty much a waste of time.
Have a look at Wreckedexotics.com for all the other drivers who no doubt say what great drivers they are in there flash cars....
I'm not saying your not a good driver and that you may wait till you do have safe places, but what I used to consider safe when I was younger I no longer do because the fact is it wasn't.

Stickman

Quote from: BB on July 09, 2012, 09:58:38 AM
Full revs in 2nd gear and your breaking the law in NZ. Maybe even first in a RS4 manual?

I'm not going to argue about it but I think owning fast cars in NZ is pretty much a waste of time.

People own fast cars to do more than just hoon around in them on public roads...to believe otherwise is rather misguided.
I like fast toys.

2007 Audi RS4

BB

Yes I know that ::) Most people tootle around in them doing the speed limit which is why I wonder why they bother to own such monsters which is what I was saying in the first place.
So that once in a blue moon they can give it a squirt I guess and pay at the gas and insurance stations all the time.

The idea and the reality seem to be a conflict is what I feel but they are an amazing car and all power to those who can afford and want to own them.

Weta worker said it well, he is addicted to over 450HP, and I doubt he is a idiot driver. Nor would Lemans be.
They have more self control than I would >:D

weta.worker

Quote from: BB on July 09, 2012, 10:10:06 AM
Yes I know that ::) Most people tootle around in them doing the speed limit which is why I wonder why they bother to own such monsters which is what I was saying in the first place.
So that once in a blue moon they can give it a squirt I guess and pay at the gas and insurance stations all the time.

The idea and the reality seem to be a conflict is what I feel but they are an amazing car and all power to those who can afford and want to own them.

Weta worker said it well, he is addicted to over 450HP, and I doubt he is a idiot driver. Nor would Lemans be.

yeah , my daily drive from brooklyn to miramar has a lot of hope on an empty cobham drive .  so i can get up to a startling 70kms....  yuuuus

and yup, when people ask me what i drive , i usually follow it up with that the car isn't really stretched with me driving it back and forth to work...

and i'm too gutless to take it on the track as it'll just fall apart and the wife and kids and I will have to walk \ bus to work \ day care.

no wait ...maybe thats why i NEED a second car!  thanks!

i do love shiny things. 

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

schattenblau

Just tell them you drive a boring station wagon !

:laugh:

Getting back on topic...

Latest issue of CAR has a rather favourable writeup on the B8 RS4.

UKRSKiwi

Quote from: BB on July 09, 2012, 10:10:06 AM

It's a valid point, I guess I have been lucky enough to own mine for 3 years in the UK so I have been able to use more of its potential there. I have very recently returned to NZ and brought the car with me so I may end up thinking it is pointless to own as the reality of owning this sort of vehicle here kicks in.

I do believe that the ultimate nz daily driver is something that handles well and has brutal acceleration to about 120km/h. Only problem is I don't want a wrx or evolution etc etc.

I don't claim to be a good driver and we always continue to learn but I do believe I am a safe driver and a considerate one. Spending a lot of time in Germany was a great learning experience when it came to basic driving skills. Those guys are on to it.
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

UKRSKiwi

Quote from: schattenblau on July 09, 2012, 11:18:53 AM
Just tell them you drive a boring station wagon !

:laugh:

Getting back on topic...

Latest issue of CAR has a rather favourable writeup on the B8 RS4.

People already think that, it's great!

Seems the B8 is reviewing better than the RS5 did, thank goodness!
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

Albacol

I have a small weiner and use my RS4 to offset that.

schattenblau

Quote from: UKRSKiwi on July 09, 2012, 11:54:02 AM
People already think that, it's great!

Seems the B8 is reviewing better than the RS5 did, thank goodness!

The Aussies get something called an "RS5 LE", which apparently does what the RS5 should have done in the first place.

Is the LE sold in NZ ?

BB

Quote from: Albacol on July 09, 2012, 12:03:36 PM

You score even higher than weta! :laugh: :laugh:

You RS4 guys are pretty cool to be honest I think. The wankers have the Clubsports :(

UKRSkiwi you should get a Skoda Fabia VRS! Rex a B5 RS4 owner and well respected old VASK member got one and thought the absolute world of it.

beeker

Quote from: Albacol on July 09, 2012, 12:03:36 PM

haha, is that why i keep buying RS's... :)
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

BB

Mine is so big I can drive around in a fruity mk1 cabriolet with a toy poodle on my lap :-*

weta.worker

Quote from: BB on July 10, 2012, 09:11:31 AM
Mine is so big I can drive around in a fruity mk1 cabriolet with a toy poodle on my lap :-*

whoa, thats some Dirk Diggler stuff going on right thar'

prob should start talking about cars again before we go too far...or we may already have...
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

Stickman

Getting awkward around here.
I like fast toys.

2007 Audi RS4