Kameo Camper T25

Started by BB, June 26, 2012, 10:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

Well looks like I've managed to score myself a 1985 water cooled T25 camper!
Yehar!
I have been working being paid to fix many many issues on this van over the last year or so and now I have been offered it to buy!
JohnP is coming over today to see if we can work out what its worth. I think I'm getting it for a very good price though.
I love it!
Its got so much room and can carry 5 people with seatbelts!
To be honest the VW campers are so great, much better than any of the Jap ones even if they may be a little more easy engine wise.
Its a fiber glass roof one that you can always stand up in and the front passenger seat flips around.
Its really cool.
Not gona be easy for me to afford so may have to even sell the vert :P Well see.
Also will sell my container so I can park it where that sits at the moment.
Its got a few leaks that need fixing and it may be a little low in compression on one pot but Ill check the valve settings etc. It runs ok, needs a new carb as the old one has all the choke missing as it was stuffed and sticking on so I removed it all. Has had new head gaskets and waterpump and a new clutch I think.
Its got a WOF and a rego though and they gave me the remainder of there motor caravan association till October 31st. Will look at the benefits of this myself later.
Need a toilet to be self contained still :P I will make a small tent it can go in when parked up.

Will put up some pics soon :)
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

wilco

First thing to is to remain completly impartial about the engine so when it packs up, there's no emotional involvement.  Then it's a simple matter of finding a good 2.5ltr Subie better still an H-6, convert it and enjoy a much more drivable van with better economy and reliability.
Ask how I know all this stuff.  I sold my '91 Vanagon for about what it cost me just to do the engine. Bloody horrible things. And that's from a committed vdub/audi/porsche guy since 1978. 
John P can guide you away from the wasserboxer effectively.  >:D

deedub

Awesome Jem! I love the T25 so much.

I started my one up for the first time in 6 months last week, started first turn and has been running like a champ and dropping oil everywhere since! I would never ever sell it, apart from being in the family since new it is the best vehicle I've ever had the pleasure of going on going on true adventures with  ;)

1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

The Truth

Uber cool campers. What colour? Does it have the awesome decals down the side?

BB

Yes the engine will run the time it runs and will be replaced with either a 5 pot or a V6 like JohnPs.
Well John thought it was pretty good for what I'm paying. It is in roughish condition but all useable except the fridge may be not working.
Is your one a Camper DeeDub?
I'd love to see photos of it.
The thing about this one is I was being paid to fix so much stuff and now its in a good enough condition to sell I'm still getting it for a reasonable price.
I love when that happens.
I'm off to show it too Frank Pronk as well they will do written valuations and this will be what I pay hopefully I think this is a fair way as I need to know what it would cost to repair some things and what others have sold for. I myself have seen a similar one for sale but it is in much better nick, so I am not really sure what this one is worth.
Apparently insured for $13,500 but Im getting for significantly less, just over half I think. I hope.

BB

Colour is white cream? And yes with Kameo decals. :)

The Truth

BB

That's it!
Just not quite so tidy :-\
But hey it kinda all functions maybe even the fridge?
Who would fix the fridge for me?
I'm getting the old gas bottle tested for $20 and then I am going to fill it by joining two hoses together with the different ends on and fill it from a 9kg bottle cause otherwise its a frickin nightmare with swapping ends that don't fit and driving all the way to Penrose every time and then getting stuck on the road.

Well Frank was busy but he said he wouldn't pay that much for it due too its roughness and the fact it needs so much done.
I personally don't care if the body is a little rough but I want to pay the right price for it.
Will go out to Qualitat tomorrow and get Vaughn to have a look and suggest a value as well, plus get a thermostat. I drilled holes in the old one as I couldn't bleed it up but I was doing it wrong the front goes in the air not the back ;).

I need Hubcaps! Anyone got some?

deedub

80's awesome  8)

Mine isn't a camper, it's the Microbus version. A bit lighter and has had the rear seats converted into a fold out bed. It seats 8 comfortably with heaps of space for luggage, but takes it's time up hills when loaded!

RS ZWEI

Quote from: The Truth on June 26, 2012, 02:08:35 PM

Yusss!

That looks like something TC off Magnum P.I. used to drive.

Jem, I could imagine you driving that around with a converted horse float set up with all your tools.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

BB

Yea Nik I know ;) Be differnt.
Im now crapting bricks they won't accept my offer and will make me go higher than I want too.
Its all there but it is bloody old.
I don't mind it being a little rough, I can work away on that.
There was one for 15500 but to get this to that state would cost 25000! So the owner should give me 10k  :)
Its always just will they bother to offer it to others who will have to inspect it and test it and bargain them down as well.
I think my offer is fair.

BB

Got it :) 6k.
That is all I would pay as it is rough but as I've said its all there and I think it would make it around NZ at 50mph many more times even on the engine it has if I don't cook it.
Im glad as hell as its very hard to get vehicles like this in any sort of condition at a price I can afford :P
I'm selling my container and the mk1 vert if anyone is interested.
I need the money, things change constantly.
Ill do some photo's.

RS ZWEI

Well done Jem, look forward to seeing the pics.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

The Truth

Choice, should see some good use in coming summer huh!?

deedub

Congratulations. Good price :)

spooln

Quote from: deedub on June 29, 2012, 03:45:05 PM
Congratulations. Good price :)

X2. Set the vert up to be towed behind so you can camp, and then vert around?
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

Number21

Great stuff Jem! Bit of a shame it is watercooled  :P  Best way to go camping, period. And you have somewhere to sleep when it breaks down!

BB

Id need the V6 JohnP special to tow the Vert ;D
But it has a tow bar and I will keep my small trailer now and put my scooter and other stuff and tow that around too ;)

Too be honest Im glad its a later water cooled one it makes putting a better engine in easier and the air cooled is expensive too.
This motor has hydralic tappets and is nice and quiet really.
I put a thermostat in today and really the motor runs well, Its totally useable :)
JohnP says its the better stronger and in very good nick 4 speed gearbox, who needs a 5 speed on a van like that! Same top anyway.
Its only done 65k miles ;)
The guy who sold it to the people I bought it off was decapitated on the Harbour bridge the next day in his new car I heard today  :( So if the guy I bought it off mysteriously dies I guess I will have to keep it........

Anyway Plenty to keep me busy and away from doing all my other stuff...... :-X
Its a disease.

BB

Bums my pics are 131kb :o
Will have to try some photo bucketing again ::)

kiwihigh

Nice mate! sounds like ya got a good deal  8)
BUILT not bought