B7 Carbon Clean

Started by Albacol, August 27, 2012, 10:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranton-inc

Would probably be worth while having a 9th injector just after the Throttle Butter Fly to help clean that kaka off...

thats horrible..

will probably explain why my MPS got a bit slower (same crappy direct injection technology with polluted breathing system)

Most the Guys in the Mazda scenes were running These Catch Can Systems.. (with some what complex plumbing involved) but the amount of s**t they could drain out of it just after a week was unreal..

BB

Blow back :(
Its caused by crank case ventilation or "blow by".
As for it not being an issue......well clearly it is, as noted by your immense improvement in power.
There is a can of stuff available at Partmaster specially for this, get some and spray it in periodically to stop it getting so bad again.   
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

UKRSKiwi

Quote from: RS ZWEI on August 29, 2012, 07:02:42 AM
Honestly, this would put me off B7 RS4 ownership.

It shouldn't. Take it as a maintenance item, once every 50k km just expect to clean it. Its a small price to pay to maintain 400 odd horses in such a good chassis. It is still a very high performance car and it comes with associated maintenance baggage, but the end result is worth it.

What will be interesting is if we see RS5 and B8 RS4 engines just as bad in 2 or 3 years. Anyone know if Audi have at least attempted to address the issue??
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
MRC Stage 2 Induction Manifold
Milltek Exhaust and 100 Cell DP's
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

UKRSKiwi

Quote from: BB on August 29, 2012, 08:44:09 AM
Blow back :(
Its caused by crank case ventilation or "blow by".
As for it not being an issue......well clearly it is, as noted by your immense improvement in power.
There is a can of stuff available at Partmaster specially for this, get some and spray it in periodically to stop it getting so bad again.

What's the product BB?
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

BGS30

As I understand it, this only affects FSI engines.  Is this correct?

BB

Ill get the name when I go to Partmaster next.
Yes it affects FSI the most. All engines get some carbon build up but the FSI seem to do this.

KiwiC4S

Quote from: BB on August 29, 2012, 10:04:27 AM
Ill get the name when I go to Partmaster next.
Yes it affects FSI the most. All engines get some carbon build up but the FSI seem to do this.
Including turbocharged FSI's?
'06 997 Carrera 4S

00quattro00

It happens to 99% of direct injected engines, you would think that they would have came up with s fix by now
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

Albacol

Based on my post-cleanp drive of the murfsters mine is going under the knife in 2 weeks time as it is flat and always has been. I've done myriad of coil packs under warranty, plugs twice etc and this is the only reasonably explanation. The person who is doing it said they had done a FSi Golf last week that was utterly clogged so it's not just this engine that suffers. I'll get photos taken and a before and after written up.

slowmo

Quote from: Albacol on August 29, 2012, 12:19:11 PM
Based on my post-cleanp drive of the murfsters mine is going under the knife in 2 weeks time as it is flat and always has been. I've done myriad of coil packs under warranty, plugs twice etc and this is the only reasonably explanation. The person who is doing it said they had done a FSi Golf last week that was utterly clogged so it's not just this engine that suffers. I'll get photos taken and a before and after written up.

hmmm.. my lowly golf feels flat too and sounding like a diesel. fsi engine and all..
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

BB

FSI engines do sound like diesels. The burn is so lean its like a diesel clack.
Id say one of the problems is the stupidly long service intervals that everybody seems to think is fine....fine for who? The manufacturers as its a selling point and the cars wear out faster when out of warrantee.

Stickman

Quote from: UKRSKiwi on August 29, 2012, 08:45:01 AM
It shouldn't. Take it as a maintenance item, once every 50k km just expect to clean it. Its a small price to pay to maintain 400 odd horses in such a good chassis. It is still a very high performance car and it comes with associated maintenance baggage, but the end result is worth it.

What will be interesting is if we see RS5 and B8 RS4 engines just as bad in 2 or 3 years. Anyone know if Audi have at least attempted to address the issue??
According to Audi the problem never/doesn't exist :o. Or so it would appear from responses different people have had on various forums.
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4

BB

At what sort of mileage was your car?
I'm thinking ok for a RS4 owners may show enough interest in their beasts such as the person in this thread but how many other owners of FSI motors want to spend or pay for 14 hours to clean their motors out :P
The lady I know with a FSI golf sure won't.
It will end up being hard to sell an old gunked up one.

beeker

All FSI's are the same. Techncially the very very latest designs have reduced effect here.
It shouldnt turn you off a RS4. If its $1k every 3 years, build that into your budget.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Turbo

rather spend it on hookers and blow.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

beeker

Quote from: Turbo on August 29, 2012, 05:42:34 PM
rather spend it on hookers and blow.

haha, that wont go far!
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

lunchie

how often does audi suggest you change the oil on the b7 RS4 and how often would you need to clean this crap off? is it doable yourself? I have always wanted an RS4 but when I did some reading on this it totally put me off as I wasnt sure if it was going to be an every 5,000kms job or what>?

UKRSKiwi

Every two years on long life oil,(fine if not often hammering it but once a year or 10k's if you do)

I carbon cleaned mine at 60k km and will do it again at 120k,  mine was only down around 10ps IIRC due to carbon. It's an issue that just needs to be accepted it is not a reason not to get one unless owning one is stretching you financially. It's a high performance car with high performance costs.
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: UKRSKiwi on September 04, 2012, 04:07:48 PM
Every two years on long life oil,(fine if not often hammering it but once a year or 10k's if you do)

I carbon cleaned mine at 60k km and will do it again at 120k,  mine was only down around 10ps IIRC due to carbon. It's an issue that just needs to be accepted it is not a reason not to get one unless owning one is stretching you financially. It's a high performance car with high performance costs.

The thing I hate about is that as soon as you have them cleaned they start carboning up again, which equals a decline in BHP. Its BS! And its not about being financially stretched, its a PITA. What if the issue was that B7 RS4 went through front tyres every 5,000kms? Would you just accepted it as part of owning one?
When B5 RS4 wheels were bending owners didnt accept that and got the wheels replaced by Audi.

Ill never fear lining my RS2 up against a B7 RS4, more than likely the B7 RS4 will be carboned up and the 17 year old RS2 will kick its butt.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8