B7 Carbon Clean

Started by Albacol, August 27, 2012, 10:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albacol

A non-poster but lurker here did his B7 at the weekend. It had done 115kms and the pictures were quite impressively bad - absoluteyl caked with Carbon. He cleaned it all out and came back to me to tell me that it was like night and day. I've been pondering about it so now am motivated to get it done - anyone had it done and got a ballpark cost ? His took him 15hrs as a numpty, i've seen 8-10 quoted elsehwere. I'll call Powerhaus and see if they have done any but any experiences welcomed.

RS ZWEI

Im guessing youre meanting a B7 RS4?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

CBRT

get him to post up his pics.....
2013 MK7 GTI
2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Albacol

Sorry yes B7 RS4.

I'll get the pics posted.

joemurf

After many hours spent reading various forums on B7 RS4 and FSI-based engine carbon build-up; rs246.com, audizine.com, VASK, I decided to take the plunge and see if my RS4 was affected.

I haven't had any pinking or misfiring, no error codes or warning lights, fuel economy seemed okay.  Exhaust flaps opened/closed with the 'S' button [e.g. vacuum system worked].  There was even a wee kick in from 5500 rpm.  But the reason behind wanting to do this was the car just felt a bit flat overall, it always had been.

So, check out the pics of my wee discovery..

First two pics are the port baffles

joemurf

Valves

joemurf

Another valve, and looking back up the intake manifold. The intake flaps were pretty clean really.

joemurf

Post clean

joemurf

Baffles back in

00quattro00

Damn they get carboned, what did you use to clean it and how long did it take?
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

CBRT

2013 MK7 GTI
2003 Audi RS6 Avant

joemurf

After a handful of outings I'm happy to report the improvement is immense.  The car feels lighter and more fresh, the power far more readily available in low and high rpm, and the surge through 5500 rpm much, much stronger. Well worth the effort.

joemurf

Took about 14-15 hours all up.  3 hours to get manifold off, about an hour per cylinder and a couple of hours back together.

Basically, scraped most of the build up off with a scraper/pick and vacuumed. Then Dremel with a stainless wire brush attachment for the remainder, and vacuumed again. Wynn's DIP3 aerosol to dissolve the dust residue and a rag.  Will run another can of DIP3 through in a few days to clear out any other residue.  I imagine any carby cleaner would work to dissolve the dust, some of the guys on UK forums I read said they had results with the DIP3 so figured it was worth a shot.

M

I have driven a few B7's that are "flat" now and almost certainly related to this, but unless the customer complains of it being flat it's hard to tell them that their RS4 feels slow....  ;D
Too much power is almost enough.

Albacol

Try getting a dealer to do anything about it under warranty. "hello my car feels quite flat" " that's nice dear"

beeker

Quote from: Albacol on August 28, 2012, 07:39:32 AM
Try getting a dealer to do anything about it under warranty. "hello my car feels quite flat" " that's nice dear"

I did, then backed it up with a dyno, and then had them carbon clean it under warranty :)
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

the phantom

if only air is going down the inlet tract, that junk must be from blow back from the cylinder
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

nordschleife

Thanks for posting this up - it is the worst I have seen.

It's a shame there isn't a before and after dyno run for this.  It will have had a massive effect on performance.
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car and looking for another - F10 LCI
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

joemurf

No worries. Yea it looks bad, but I think it's pretty typical of what a lot of people see.  I did a fair bit of reading on it before deciding to do it and there are as many opinions against it being an issue, as for it.   This guys story was interesting [with pics and before/after dynos].

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/322587-RS4-only-263whp-flat-from-6k-rpm-!-!

And these two:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/297492-My-RS4-under-the-knife
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/334489-RS4-Intake-Manifold-Carbon-Build-Up-amp-Clean-Up

The often posed theory is it's caused by blow back, but in mine there was a lot of wet oil residue within the inlet manifold which to me seemed unlikely to be related to just blow-back.   Possibly the crankcase ventilation system is also contributing by passing in some oil rich air? Some of those posts are 15 pages long with all sorts of theories [the way you drive/the way you don't, the oil, the fuel, catch cans, additives, servicing].  One guy even had bad build-up, cleaned it, and couldn't tell the difference...

And then there is the FSI megathread.  A lot of the guys in the US seem to have tried to take issue with Audi USA to get something sorted.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/336352-Audi-FSI-Engine-Carbon-Build-up-Megathread

I recon in the end try and drive a few for comparison, and if yours feels 'flatter' than the rest, get it cleaned.

RS ZWEI

Honestly, this would put me off B7 RS4 ownership.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8