B7 Carbon Clean

Started by Albacol, August 27, 2012, 10:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeker

Quote from: RS ZWEI on September 04, 2012, 09:22:22 PM
The thing I hate about is that as soon as you have them cleaned they start carboning up again, which equals a decline in BHP. Its BS! And its not about being financially stretched, its a PITA. What if the issue was that B7 RS4 went through front tyres every 5,000kms? Would you just accepted it as part of owning one?
When B5 RS4 wheels were bending owners didnt accept that and got the wheels replaced by Audi.

Ill never fear lining my RS2 up against a B7 RS4, more than likely the B7 RS4 will be carboned up and the 17 year old RS2 will kick its butt.

Even when mine was down 50hp, the package was still a bloddy nice daily.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

BB

All cars carbon up or wear out in some way.
It is a shame these do this but if you can afford a RS4 you can afford to pay somebody to clean it every 2 years or so. Or you can't really afford one. Its only $1500. Or a months petrol bill >:D
And they don't lose that much HP even when carboned up.
I think a B7 RS4 even down on 400hp would whip your RS2 still Nik.
I mean what can be done about it?
Plus the fuel savings you will make from the FSI system will cover the cost of the clean in theory.
A modern car is only supposed to last 5 years anyway so no wonder Audi don't think its an issue.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

UKRSKiwi

In my case it's the following

A 450ps car out of 4.2 litres that revs out to 8200rpm, that has bloody smart suspension setup can get 21mpg on a long run, is comfortable has all the mod cons (for its age) will do 0 - 100 in around 4.8 seconds (maybe quicker with mine) will generally smoke most things on the road all while carrying a dog and 3 bikes on the roof.

And it's reliable.

FFS it's 450ps out of a v8 that is 4.2 litres that revs to 8.2k rpm and it can be used every day!!!!

I'll happily pay for the carbon clean to have that.

B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
MRC Stage 2 Induction Manifold
Milltek Exhaust and 100 Cell DP's
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

schattenblau

Still... maybe that's why BMW and AMG never used direct injection on their hi-po 4.0 and 6.2 V8's ?

And why Lexus use direct and port injection on the IS-F 5.0 v8 ?

>:D

lunchie

Part of  me REALLY wants to go down the RS4 route but then the other half of me says why not buy favorite car number 2 (a current shape 2007 subaru sti) for half the price with actual rear leg room. I mean I know the subie has 0 pedigree and not much style compared to the audi but dam, they are alot of car for the money. Sigh.... oh well, still wont have the money for 6 months, will be a tough decision 

BB

S1

Ive never touched my B7, its as fast as my race car , my Daughter has an A3 FSI  done 170k runs like a missle   
whats broken this week , hold on ill get my wallet

schattenblau

Quote from: lunchie on September 05, 2012, 03:12:32 PM
Part of  me REALLY wants to go down the RS4 route but then the other half of me says why not buy favorite car number 2 (a current shape 2007 subaru sti) for half the price with actual rear leg room. I mean I know the subie has 0 pedigree and not much style compared to the audi but dam, they are alot of car for the money. Sigh.... oh well, still wont have the money for 6 months, will be a tough decision

You mean the last sedan STI ?

Current shape is the dumpy hatchback (2008 on) - junk.

Here's a couple of STI's that won't be embarrassed by a B7 RS4...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=496136829

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/sti/auction-441084432.htm

BB

Eww I looked at those.
Buy the Audi. But only if you can afford it. :)
Seriously a $1500 engine clean every few years is not really that big a deal.
Here I am on Audi's side for once :)
But I like to hear about the reliability of the RS4. They sound like a really good car the B7s.

rambo_005

Quote from: schattenblau on September 05, 2012, 04:57:46 PM
You mean the last sedan STI ?

Current shape is the dumpy hatchback (2008 on) - junk.

I thought there was a sedan version of the current model?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/impreza/auction-492989196.htm

schattenblau

Yes as a 2011 model, far away from the 2007 mentioned.

M

Quote from: UKRSKiwi on September 05, 2012, 09:56:41 AM
will do 0 - 100 in around 4.8 seconds (maybe quicker with mine) will generally smoke most things on the road all while carrying a dog and 3 bikes on the roof.

Not my old 2.7TT it won't.  :D ;D

Oh and the B5 doesn't carbon up

Disclaimer: I would still say the B7 is a better car.
Too much power is almost enough.

haggis

Apologies - my old account had a bit of an issue with it so have had to create a new one.

Have posted a followup elsewhere http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,15974.4635.html

Stickman

Just picked the RS4 up from Brodie European having had a carbon clean done...was actually not that built up at all, but definitely noticed much more eagerness to rev! Cost was actually pretty reasonable too.
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4

beeker

Quote from: Albacol on August 28, 2012, 07:39:32 AM
Try getting a dealer to do anything about it under warranty. "hello my car feels quite flat" " that's nice dear"

I've had mine done under silver circle.
Dyno  it and show the evidence.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Stickman

Quote from: beeker on December 10, 2014, 06:27:51 PM
I've had mine done under silver circle.
Dyno  it and show the evidence.

Actually wish that I had done a before and after dyno just out of interest. Rang both Giltraps and Continental Cars to get quotes for the clean, neither got back to me. Happy with the service that I got from Brodie's and likely half the price too! Will keep going there for servicing.
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4

beeker

Quote from: Stickman on December 10, 2014, 06:34:54 PM
Actually wish that I had done a before and after dyno just out of interest. Rang both Giltraps and Continental Cars to get quotes for the clean, neither got back to me. Happy with the service that I got from Brodie's and likely half the price too! Will keep going there for servicing.

I did. From memory 30wkw. But that included a stuck airbox flap.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

UKRSKiwi

I got 32kw iirc when mine was done. No stuck airbox flap just a buildup. Night and day difference.
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
MRC Stage 2 Induction Manifold
Milltek Exhaust and 100 Cell DP's
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

br344y

Quote from: Stickman on December 10, 2014, 06:25:01 PM
Just picked the RS4 up from Brodie European having had a carbon clean done...was actually not that built up at all, but definitely noticed much more eagerness to rev! Cost was actually pretty reasonable too.
So it was your rs4 I was checking out at brodies euro today.   Very nice...
Current:
2004 S4 Avant

Prev:
1998 A4 1.8T Q