Mk2 Digi2 9a

Started by RevHappy, September 14, 2012, 12:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RevHappy

Hey guys
In need of some Tech advice
Now i know a couple of you out there have done this and it may be a walk in the park.

I will be getting underway with my 9a conversion in the coming weeks and have been studying like crazy as i am a bit dawnted by it. From my understanding the digi2 system will run it just fine (not perfect but fine) my 8v g/box will fit and everything else should be a plug and play. There are just a few things, online most speak of changing the fuel rail to a aftermarket one??? Also i read ages ago that a saab or volvo dizzy was needed, yet now when i read online it says the 9a one will sufice. Any light to be shed on these? Also how necessary is the oil cooler?

Cheers for your help in advance.
CURRENT: Mk2 Golf - 1.8t, Coil overs, Passat leather, 16x8, Daily Driven

GONE: Mk2 Jetta - Big Bumpers, Big Windows, Lowered, 15X6 Alloys, and MK1 Suzuki Cultus Gti G13b rally cams, bilstein shocks and springs, momo 14X7 alloys

johnp

I am currently running a 9A on digi with KR head and cams.
It is slow. Runs fine, idles fine, runs slow.
I have driven another Mk2 of a vask owner with ABF and original DIG 3.2 injection., Difference was almost night and day.
My conclusion, contrary to what you read on the net re digi 2 conversions,  is although you can get it to run fine on DIGI 2, it will be considerably down on power it should potentially have.
I am changing to KR K-jet in the next couple of weeks so will post the difference.

00quattro00

Quote from: gtimanik on September 14, 2012, 12:03:11 AM
Hey guys
In need of some Tech advice
Now i know a couple of you out there have done this and it may be a walk in the park.

I will be getting underway with my 9a conversion in the coming weeks and have been studying like crazy as i am a bit dawnted by it. From my understanding the digi2 system will run it just fine (not perfect but fine) my 8v g/box will fit and everything else should be a plug and play. There are just a few things, online most speak of changing the fuel rail to a aftermarket one??? Also i read ages ago that a saab or volvo dizzy was needed, yet now when i read online it says the 9a one will sufice. Any light to be shed on these? Also how necessary is the oil cooler?

Cheers for your help in advance.

Dont use digi and dont use a saab dizzy, just use the 9a kjet and ecu, its only a few wires that need hooking up
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

BB

He will have to fit the whole K-jet fuel pump and fuel lines and everything tho as his car is obviously a digi mk2.
Is this what you are doing JohnP?
Do you have the whole 9a fuel system and ecu and wiring loom manik?

I actually think you wanted to be called gtimaniac did you?
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

00quattro00

heres the files I used when I did my 9a 4 years ago

Land Rover 110 4bd1t

00quattro00

and
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

deedub

JohnP is your digi 9A with a standard ECU or have you got one of the plug in chips that you can buy that re-maps the fuelling?
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

johnp

Quote from: deedub on September 14, 2012, 11:36:20 AM
JohnP is your digi 9A with a standard ECU or have you got one of the plug in chips that you can buy that re-maps the fuelling?

I have tried standard but currently have a "digifast" chip.
I was going to look at a chip that Nuespeed sell specifically for the 9A conversion,  but for the cost I am changing over to KR K-jet.
I have plots that show this outperforms any other system, chipped or KE motronic, even an ABF with KR K-jet will outperform  the ABF with standard Digi 3.2.
My previous 9A conversion ran Ke-motronic (std B3 9A Passat injection) and this definetly went better than the DIGI2  set up I now have.
My advice to gtimanik is to run the 9A Ke-motronic if he has it,  or IF, big if,  he can get his hands on a complete KR K-jet system, to do that.

johnp

Quote from: 00quattro00 on September 14, 2012, 08:56:35 AM
Dont use digi and dont use a saab dizzy, just use the 9a kjet and ecu, its only a few wires that need hooking up

I agree, if he has this system, use it. My previous 9A conversion ran the KE-motronic and ran much much better as far as acceleration and top end were concerned.

BB

It may be so that a KR K-jet ABF could be very slightly faster but the system has other weaknesses and you economy will not be as good as if you keep your ABF on the digi 3.2.

This however has little to do with what maniac needs to know.

It is a shame so many people buy the engines without getting all the other stuff they need.
It would seem that the fitting of a 9a into a already K-jet golf is the best cheapest easiest way to go.
Or buy a complete ABF engine with loom and ecu and fit to either a digi or K-jet golf.

I still have a complete ABF engine with loom and ecu I would sell. $1000ono
If it does not sell it will find its way into my new mk2 golf one day.

johnp

Quote from: BB on September 14, 2012, 01:30:15 PM
It may be so that a KR K-jet ABF could be very slightly faster but the system has other weaknesses and you economy will not be as good as if you keep your ABF on the digi 3.2.

This however has little to do with what maniac needs to know.

It is a shame so many people buy the engines without getting all the other stuff they need.
It would seem that the fitting of a 9a into a already K-jet golf is the best cheapest easiest way to go.
Or buy a complete ABF engine with loom and ecu and fit to either a digi or K-jet golf.

I still have a complete ABF engine with loom and ecu I would sell. $1000ono
If it does not sell it will find its way into my new mk2 golf one day.

BB, the 8V Kjet is not the same as 16V K-jet. The fuel distributor is different, the cone shape is different so the fueling is not the same.
Also the 16V k jet has a seperate control unit for the ignition map. I do not think standard 8v k-jet on a 16V would be much better than 8v digi 2.
And I am circumspect about the Saab dizzy after your story some time ago re the targa guy running this set up and his engine being destroyed from detonation.
K-jet is just as economical as digi 2 from my experince. Digi 2 is all about emissions.

BB

True true but then you always hear stories that a k-jet unit can run up to 300hp.
They must be BS stories.

I guess it would be easier to fit the 9a k-jet fuel unit to a 8v k-jet golf tho as you don't have to do the fuel pump, and the bits would pretty much swap out.
Add the ignition ECU and broom a Passat powered golf.

Kr k-jet units are quite rare.......mostly found in 16v powered golfs already >:D

I like the KR motor better than the 9a I think.

cpncrash

Agree with Basil and JohnP on this one (Tho I have never been in a digi powered 16v)

I first ran my 9a on the Passat K Jet (Motronic) and it ran pretty good apart from some idle issues

Changed the head to ported with KR cams - Got better

Then changed to KR Injection from a 16v Golf and it was a wee bit better again. I feel it goes ok but have never driven anything to compare against.

I had an auto 9a passat once and it went really hard!! wish I had kept the setup, it runs well when its all running well...... haha

And Agree with BB that KR engine are great they just have a nice pull to them over the whole range. I really liked my 16v GTI golf.

cpncrash

Quote from: johnp on September 14, 2012, 07:09:54 AM
I am currently running a 9A on digi with KR head and cams.
It is slow. Runs fine, idles fine, runs slow.
I have driven another Mk2 of a vask owner with ABF and original DIG 3.2 injection., Difference was almost night and day.
My conclusion, contrary to what you read on the net re digi 2 conversions,  is although you can get it to run fine on DIGI 2, it will be considerably down on power it should potentially have.
I am changing to KR K-jet in the next couple of weeks so will post the difference.

Be good to hear how you get on John. Good Luck, tho its pretty straight forward conversion I'm sure you will be fine..... :)

cpncrash

GTimanik

I will probably still have a full B3 passat injection system sitting in the garage (I cannot confirm this until I have a decent look thru all the bits from over the years)

If your interested let me know

Running it on digi might be a good way to get it up and running quickly tho I'm not sure how much work would be involved.

RevHappy

Wow didnt expect this much response, cheers guys.

To clear confusion my name is Will, Gtimanik is just a username, call me Will if you want

I bought the engine off Deedub(dave) and he has just given me the motor so i had always planned to run it on digi. I would like to run it on digi just to get it going. Nothing is permanent.

What are peoples experience with the fuel rail? what one do i need?

Do i just run the 9a dizzy?

And the oil cooler question???

GONE: Mk2 Jetta - Big Bumpers, Big Windows, Lowered, 15X6 Alloys, and MK1 Suzuki Cultus Gti G13b rally cams, bilstein shocks and springs, momo 14X7 alloys

00quattro00

Quote from: gtimanik on September 14, 2012, 08:06:05 PM
Wow didnt expect this much response, cheers guys.

To clear confusion my name is Will, Gtimanik is just a username, call me Will if you want

I bought the engine off Deedub(dave) and he has just given me the motor so i had always planned to run it on digi. I would like to run it on digi just to get it going. Nothing is permanent.

What are peoples experience with the fuel rail? what one do i need?

Do i just run the 9a dizzy?

And the oil cooler question???

You will need to buy a fuel rail, you could build your self up a basic megasquirt ecu quite cheaply
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

00quattro00

or just go with a 1.8t, its quite an easy conversion having just finished mine
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

RevHappy

Quote from: 00quattro00 on September 14, 2012, 08:55:16 PM
or just go with a 1.8t, its quite an easy conversion having just finished mine

or could just park up mine and buy yours :P

What sort of fuel rail should i buy?

00quattro00

Quote from: gtimanik on September 14, 2012, 09:14:21 PM
or could just park up mine and buy yours :P

What sort of fuel rail should i buy?

I bought a cheap one off ebay when i was going to convert mine to efi, it was ok for the price
Land Rover 110 4bd1t