RS5 Navigation

Started by Speakerguru, September 28, 2012, 09:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speakerguru

I am looking for someone really clever, and would love any information on where or how to find that person.

I purchased a brand new Audi RS5 vehicle in the UK this year and imported it to New Zealand. The car has a MMI 3G plus interface with rear view camera etc and everything works except the GPS system.

I want someone to find a way for me to install New Zealand Maps and activation codes that I already own. Audi in New Zealand are not interested and will not help.

Apparently the car has software installed that ties the Vin number of the car to the country it was built for and it rejects the New Zealand maps because it thinks it is in the UK. I believe it is a Linux based system.
I am prepared to pay good money for this solution. However I must be totally convinced of a 100% working solution.
if anyone can help or offer constructive suggestions please let me know. :)

RobClubley

When I brought my Skoda over I got the dash re-coded to Aus setting (there was no NZ one on mine) so that the odometer changed to km and other units to metric.

Presumably the same can be done on yours using VCDS.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

UKRSKiwi

Have you tried contacting Audi UK?

The reason I say this is that it is perfectly feasible for a car to take a 'round the world' trip and you would be perfectly entitled to have each countrys maps available. They may be able to advise, especially as you are an existing 'UK' customer.

Failing that ask on rs246.com or audisrs.com

Some VERY smart people can advise on there.

I do agree with the above comment in that with VCDS there should be a way to change this setting.
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
MRC Stage 2 Induction Manifold
Milltek Exhaust and 100 Cell DP's
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

GLIDN

Quote from: RobClubley on September 28, 2012, 09:42:54 AM
When I brought my Skoda over I got the dash recoded to Aus setting (there was no NZ one on mine) so that the odometer changed to km and other units to metric.

Presumably the same can be done on yours using VCDS.

As far as I'm aware, had a big discussion with VW on Tuesday. You are no longer able to recode these bits and pieces in an Audi at all.
You can't even have Audi NZ just fit a towbar anymore. It has to sent as a special request to Audi Germany, they will then add information and settings accordingly. Once Approved you take the Audi in, it communicates via a type of Gecko (VW security) and gets flashed stating what the car has or does not have.

They are really trying to eliminate us tinkering with their cars any longer.

I would suggest the OP, talks to the Audi garage he bought it from, ask for assistance informing them of Audi NZ uselessness and being unhelpful.

Then get them to communicate with EMD or specified Audi garage (giltrap or similar) to approve the recode and software download.

Just don't be amazed if Audi decides to  charge you in excess of $2500 just for NZ maps, prior to install or labour etc.
Purely as they are peeved you did not buy the car locally.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

UKRSKiwi

I guess this will last as long as it takes for someone to 'crack' the system. It really is ridiculous that they operate like this. Good business yes, bad for goodwill.  Still, people will beat this, it's just a matter of time. IIRC it took 4 months for MRC in the UK to gain full access to the B8 S4 ems. No idea what resources they put on it but they got there in the end.
B7 RS4
MRC Stage 2 map
MRC Stage 2 Induction Manifold
Milltek Exhaust and 100 Cell DP's
ITG Panel Filter
Short Shifter
CAF

450ps proven.

ranton-inc

have you had anyone Vag Com the car...?

M

VAGCOM probably not the answer on this one.

I haven't been bothered to look in to this but I can tell you that Audi are getting very tight on being able to manually code anything anymore. Almost all coding is now done online via Software Version Management, any sort of added functions come with a corresponding code that updates the vin in Germany to say the vehicle now has that system installed. So when a module is re-coded it is done by VIN.

Probably can be done, but I am in the South Island so can't really help.
Too much power is almost enough.

VS Wagen Parts Ltd

To enter Engineering menu You need press buttons "CAR" and "SETUP"

ranton-inc

Quote from: Vik on September 29, 2012, 01:33:18 PM
To enter Engineering menu You need press buttons "CAR" and "SETUP"
needs to be pre activated via vagcom first

Im willing to take a look for you if you are in Auckland !

Lost

Hey all , I'm in the exact same boat here , got a new  2012 A6 (C7)  from the UK. It has the MMI Navigation Plus including MMI Touch , which is the 3G mmi if I am correct. Audi NZ won't lift a finger and to add insult to injury say if I ever manage to crack it any service done by them will completely wipe it if it's still linked to that VIN , What a nightmare!
Any one have any luck with this? , I've heard of a place back in the UK that will do it but have to send them hard drive from the mmi , something I'm dreading.

This isnotme

Mate, I had my A8 2012 with touch pad done from the guys at navnz.co.nz and it works perfectly without issues, my car has been in service and nothing has been wiped, the guys were helpfull, they throw in dvd playback in motion free of charge  ;D 8)

Eurosurgeon

We can also do this www.eurosurgeon.co.nz we have been given acceptance by a major Audi workshop that our system is the only one they have seen that does not leave trace and will not cause any issue with worldwide warranty.

Video in motion is also not a problem.