MK7 first drive

Started by the phantom, October 04, 2012, 10:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the phantom

as always, real but incremental improvements, I guess we'll have to wait for the GTI for fireworks!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf/first-drives/first-drive-review-2013-volkswagen-golf-mk7

"Should I buy one?  Yes. The Golf is precisely the globally appealing and useful car it needs to be. The desirability stakes have been upped, and it is generally a sharper, more complete package. It is a VW Golf, purified."
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

zyeffur

I got a 7 Golf today as a courtesy from CCS.

I must say, I really hate the 'stop-start engine'. It breaks the driving momentum and the need to accelerate especially when needing to quickly make a u-turn, etc. from halt.

I think you can turn it off? Well, I hope you can.

The DSG engage is crappy. Makes me slowly but surely starting to hate DSG transmission now.

Trofeo

Stop start is pretty standard in New cars now. Something we'll have to get used to I'm afraid. Our cx5 diesel can have it switched off but always resets to on for the next trip. I'm used to it now, either lift off the brake a little, or turn the steering wheel a bit and it starts.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

schattenblau

Stop/start you can turn off but don't know if it stays off until you reset it.

Now that manuals are back on the Mk7 pricelists it will be interesting to see how many they sell or are DSG haters all talk and no action ?

>:D

slowmo

It wasn't too bad, had it in a Seat and C-max which we rented overseas. As soon as you press on the clutch the engine would start up. It was so smooth though that we hardly noticed.

I was more annoyed at the electronic handbrake!

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

zyeffur

Quote from: slowmo on March 17, 2014, 07:46:45 PM
It wasn't too bad, had it in a Seat and C-max which we rented overseas. As soon as you press on the clutch the engine would start up. It was so smooth though that we hardly noticed.

I was more annoyed at the electronic handbrake!

electronic handbrake, start-stop, diesel, dsg. everything in the car is so damn wrong. hated it!

money would be on a manual mk4 gti/r32 any bloody day.

schattenblau

Mk4 R32 maybe but a Mk4 GTI ?

:o

zyeffur

Quote from: schattenblau on March 18, 2014, 04:52:43 PM
Mk4 R32 maybe but a Mk4 GTI ?

:o

loved mine. regret selling it sometimes, but it was a great car nevertheless. in good hands now as well.

spooln

Electronic handbrake, diesel, dsg is great. Every time you stop handbrake come on automatically - and disengages when you pull away. Seamless hill starts anyone? For fun then sure is good to not have them, but hard to have lots of fun when its a carpark around town. You can always buy classic VAG for fun?

I agree with schattenblau, will be really interesting to see how many order manuals.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS