Project Car: 1994 Audi S2 Sedan

Started by Number21, October 17, 2012, 01:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number21

I'm getting this  8)

Trish was lovely, if  for some reason sale falls through I have a backup buyer, so sorry guys, this has definitely gone. I'll have photos soon!

And my mk3 is now definitely for sale, I'll update details soon.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Number21 on October 17, 2012, 01:28:10 PM
I'm getting this  8)

Trish was lovely, if  for some reason sale falls through I have a backup buyer, so sorry guys, this has definitely gone. I'll have photos soon!

And my mk3 is now definitely for sale, I'll update details soon.

Well done and welcome to the I5 Turbo club.
What condition is it in? Its been on hold for a couple of years hasnt it?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Number21

Quote from: RS ZWEI on October 17, 2012, 02:59:55 PM
Well done and welcome to the I5 Turbo club.
What condition is it in? Its been on hold for a couple of years hasnt it?

Cheers!
It needs a tidy up, and is missing some interior trim. I'm sure I'll be calling on the b4 audi crew for advice on where to find stuff. It hasn't been used for a while.

The front door cards need to be re-upholstered, and the paint needs work. The RH tail light is cracked and the front bumper is a bit out of whack and the front spoiler is smashed. The engine looks clean, but haven't had a chance to check over the mechanicals yet. Also needs the rear headrests.

Of course there is Portmanteau's silver one, and apparently a red one in Nelson, this one is NZ new, and being a sedan it is a late model one with the ABY and 6 speed box. Unbelievable that there are 3 in NZ, when there are only meant to be something like 10 RHD cars; I guess NZ is one market where the coupe always plays second fiddle to the ever-popular sedan.

Deedub has some 16'' BBS RS lined up for the car, so hopefully can get this project going soon.

nacnud

Nice buy!

Can't wait to see some photos
Whatcha Think?
Flickr

1991 Jetta ABF

CGK

00quattro00

Nice buy, Ive given up on my b4 quattros so dont have any parts left but they are one of the easiest cars to work on and parts are cheap and realy easy to get
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Number21 on October 17, 2012, 04:00:10 PM
Cheers!
It needs a tidy up, and is missing some interior trim. I'm sure I'll be calling on the b4 audi crew for advice on where to find stuff. It hasn't been used for a while.

The front door cards need to be re-upholstered, and the paint needs work. The RH tail light is cracked and the front bumper is a bit out of whack and the front spoiler is smashed. The engine looks clean, but haven't had a chance to check over the mechanicals yet. Also needs the rear headrests.

Of course there is Portmanteau's silver one, and apparently a red one in Nelson, this one is NZ new, and being a sedan it is a late model one with the ABY and 6 speed box. Unbelievable that there are 3 in NZ, when there are only meant to be something like 10 RHD cars; I guess NZ is one market where the coupe always plays second fiddle to the ever-popular sedan.

Deedub has some 16'' BBS RS lined up for the car, so hopefully can get this project going soon.

Where did you get your 3 NZ S2's from? My understanding from a good source is that only 2 were sold NZ new, yours and Bruces.
Have you joined up to the S2 Forum?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Number21

No, but Trish believed there was reportedly a red one in Nelson. The owners were fully aware of how rare the car is. I'm not sure if the info came from the dealer the car came from or one of the people who approached them about the car.

Perhaps there are in fact only 2 then. I'll sign up to the S2 forum.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Number21 on October 17, 2012, 06:22:18 PM
No, but Trish believed there was reportedly a red one in Nelson. The owners were fully aware of how rare the car is. I'm not sure if the info came from the dealer the car came from or one of the people who approached them about the car.

Perhaps there are in fact only 2 then. I'll sign up to the S2 forum.

Great to see it gone to someone who will look after it.

Oh, and the colour is emerald green :)
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

beeker

I remember seeing the silver one when it was near new park outside Melco (mitsi electronics NZ) in Penrose alongggg time ago.
Then only 2 years ago, it starting visiting my neighours house every so often.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

RS ZWEI

Number21, does your S2 have a rear spoiler?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Number21

Quote from: RS ZWEI on October 18, 2012, 08:06:37 AM
Number21, does your S2 have a rear spoiler?

Yes it does.

Drove it home today, then to the garage for it to get a wof next week.

It actually drove really nicely- started first pop, no weird noises, suspension and brakes felt great. One of the wheels feels like it might be buckled.

It has a major boost leak, I don't think the engine is getting any boost by the sound/feel of it! Also it keeps beeping and giving me a warning symbol on the instrument console... have to look into that. Gearbox is lovely, except that it will go into reverse even if you don't push on the gearknob... easy to get reverse instead of first if you don't know about it  :-\

There are a lot of bits and pieces/maintenance items I'll need over the next few weeks, I'm sure I'll be drawing on the expertise of those familiar with these cars on here! I'll start a project thread once I get it back and get some photos, this is after all the trading post.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Number21 on October 19, 2012, 10:37:31 PM
Yes it does.

Drove it home today, then to the garage for it to get a wof next week.

It actually drove really nicely- started first pop, no weird noises, suspension and brakes felt great. One of the wheels feels like it might be buckled.

It has a major boost leak, I don't think the engine is getting any boost by the sound/feel of it! Also it keeps beeping and giving me a warning symbol on the instrument console... have to look into that. Gearbox is lovely, except that it will go into reverse even if you don't push on the gearknob... easy to get reverse instead of first if you don't know about it  :-\

There are a lot of bits and pieces/maintenance items I'll need over the next few weeks, I'm sure I'll be drawing on the expertise of those familiar with these cars on here! I'll start a project thread once I get it back and get some photos, this is after all the trading post.

Here is a couple of very handy sites:

http://www.s2central.net/main_frame.html

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/

I would replace the DV first up (Audi S3 one is fine), also check for they are all mounted correctly. There is also a o ring in the intercooler that might be leak (common).
Does it idle at a constant rpm?

Which warming light do you have? If its the exclamation mark inside of 2 brackets it could be low powersteering fluid or the brake bomb might be toast.

Would you like me to split part of this topic and add it to a project thread?

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

BB

Yank the wires off the brake booster part to stop the warning lights and then you know if its that or not.
The brake bombs are a pain, but you can get them.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Number21

Thanks guys for the info.

Nik, that would be awesome if you could split this topic into a project thread.

The exclamation mark in brackets! The powersteering feels a bit strange, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem. And the boost leak seems to be coming from the intercooler, so I'd say you might be right! The idle is strong and constant, it doesn't hunt at all.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Number21 on October 20, 2012, 07:13:44 PM
Thanks guys for the info.

Nik, that would be awesome if you could split this topic into a project thread.

The exclamation mark in brackets! The powersteering feels a bit strange, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem. And the boost leak seems to be coming from the intercooler, so I'd say you might be right! The idle is strong and constant, it doesn't hunt at all.

The Power steer reservoir is in the passenger side under the bonnet, Id check the level. I had an issue once, I think some pipe was taken off and not refitted correctly before I purchased my car when the AC was last serviced.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

BB

Make sure you have the correct hydraulic mineral oil to fill the PS.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

RS ZWEI

Did you have any luck finding a front bumper?

Do you have any updates or pics to show?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Number21

The car is still getting a wof! Needed new suspension bushings, tail light etc etc. mainly minor stuff. Should have it back this week coming.

When I get it back I'll start to get into it and find all the stuff that needs work. Bumper is one- I'll try getting the existing bumper fixed if possible for the meantime and source something from overseas.

I've been getting the Mk3 ready for sale too, which along with everything else has been sucking up time, so I'm not too concerned about not having had the Audi back yet.

Number21

Righto, got the car back today. Has new suspension arm bushings, new tail light (actually quite cheap from the dealer!), new CV boots, pretty much up to wof standard as soon as sort out the bumper tabs. The wobble in the steering was probably because one of the front tyres had a major slash in the casing.

Here are some pictures of the car, apart from the tail light this is exactly as I bought the car- it hasn't even been cleaned.

Please excuse the Subaru, but if anyone wants one, it will be for sale  ;D

As you can see it is pretty rough. I've compiled a list of things to be done- if any one is actually interested.

Interior:

Front door cards recovered and passenger handle fixed
New bulb for passenger courtesy light
Fans only work on full (but air con and heater seem fine)
3-spoke sports wheel... anyone have one with airbag?
Bonnet release catch fixed- the plastic holding up the anchor for the release lever has snapped, so that might be tricky to fix.
And of course those covers are coming off, but they've done a reasonable job so far of protecting the leather.

Exterior:

Small dents on both rear quarter panels and general chips
Majorly fading paint on roof, bonnet and spoiler
Scratches, particularly around the rear door handles (dog maybe?)
Of course, the bumper.
Wheels are badly curbed, on the lookout for some 5x112 wheels if anyone has some? I'll be getting these refurbished at some point and the BBS RS wheels which deedub has won't be going on for a while.

Mechanicals:

The car runs beautifully. But...
No boost. My guess is the intercooler but I'll be pulling stuff apart tonight/tomorrow if I get a chance.
Oil temp gauge doesn't seem to work.
Brake warning light intermittently flashes and beeps- the brake fluid level is a bit low, so fingers crossed that is it.
The reverse lock doesn't work, got reverse instead of first when I first drove it! But the gearbox is silky.
Not sure about the cambelt, the last service record for it has faded, I'd say the dealer would have done it at 195,000km. Car now has 225,000km, but since that belt will be pretty old now I'll be sorting it out soon as well.

A lot of work here, won't be getting this done over night, but I don't think there are any major problems that I can see. Really needs a good clean too.

It seems to operate at normal temperature on the gauge, but as soon as you open the bonnet you get blasted by a heat wave. I've never had a car which is so hot in the engine bay... any other 20v owners noticed this?

RS ZWEI

Fans only work on full (but air con and heater seem fine): Something is the fan box is burnt out. I think the whole fan box needs replacing.

3-spoke sports wheel... anyone have one with airbag? I think an early B5 A4 Sport wheel will fit, or an urS6 wheel. Someone else might be able to confirm?

Front door cards recovered and passenger handle fixed: It looks like the leather is OK? Just needs to be stuck back down?

Small dents on both rear quarter panels: Just get the likes of Mr Dent to sort that out, they do some amazing work.

No boost. My guess is the intercooler but I'll be pulling stuff apart tonight/tomorrow if I get a chance: "O" ring in the intercooler? Or a shot DV? Id replace the DV anyway.

Not sure about the cambelt, the last service record for it has faded, I'd say the dealer would have done it at 195,000km: Are you going to get the parts from the US? Should be the same as a AAN (S4/S6 engine) which they had in the US. Again, double check.

It seems to operate at normal temperature on the gauge, but as soon as you open the bonnet you get blasted by a heat wave. I've never had a car which is so hot in the engine bay... any other 20v owners noticed this?  Yip, pretty hot under the RS2's engine bay.

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S