Project Car: Mid engine V8 Polo

Started by tim_hcsc, October 28, 2012, 12:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qta4

Very similar thoughts i had been thinking about.
Is there any reason why you didnt use the front subframe out of an A4 mounted in the rear, then your engine mounts may have been easier using the A4 drive shafts as well..

Second question, is the V6 out os a S4 heavier tha the V8 you are using,no doubt you have thought of all options.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

00quattro00

Looks goos so far, why have you gone for a v6 auto trans?
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

qta4

I would done an auto as well, due to the distance from the rear wheels to the back of the car, manual boxes would have extended beyond the body.

00quattro00

Quote from: qta4 on October 29, 2012, 07:00:51 PM
I would done an auto as well, due to the distance from the rear wheels to the back of the car, manual boxes would have extended beyond the body.

How do you figure that? the manual is the same size as the auto, maybe be smaller and certainly lighter
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

qta4

I havent seen one, just thought they were longer, thats good, room for thought.

00quattro00

Quote from: qta4 on October 29, 2012, 07:14:23 PM
I havent seen one, just thought they were longer, thats good, room for thought.

And the porsche boxster used an audi box so you can use the linkage from that,
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

qta4

You certainly are a wealth of knowlege, its good to have you here.

tim_hcsc

Quote from: qta4 on October 29, 2012, 06:48:09 PM
Very similar thoughts i had been thinking about.
Is there any reason why you didnt use the front subframe out of an A4 mounted in the rear, then your engine mounts may have been easier using the A4 drive shafts as well..

Second question, is the V6 out os a S4 heavier tha the V8 you are using,no doubt you have thought of all options.

I happened to have an A4 quattro which was smashed to pieces, the right hand "A" post was only 6 inches from the centre console so everything at the front was pretty much toast, steering, suspension, subframe, all scrap so I used the rear end.
I figured the rear suspension would be more stable at the rear afterall thats where it was designed to be also the brakes are smaller than the front and has a hand brake type caliper.

I chose the auto because its tiptronic and I can always make it to paddle shift if I want a bit of fun or just leave it in auto for the dreaded  Auckland traffic. The drive shafts run at an angle of 6 degrees backwards from the diff so they are approaching the maximum angle  they can run at, apparently 7-8 is the max for safe operation. I guess I'll be the first to find out if there is a problem.

Its only a MK1 version and if I like it I can build a MK11 and change all the bits I didnt like in the first one
Its your life, shape it or someone else will.

the phantom

Quote from: tim_hcsc on October 29, 2012, 09:36:05 PM

Its only a MK1 version and if I like it I can build a MK11 and change all the bits I didnt like in the first one

good man!  I like your attitude  8)
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Lee

RevHappy

+1

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

CURRENT: Mk2 Golf - 1.8t, Coil overs, Passat leather, 16x8, Daily Driven

GONE: Mk2 Jetta - Big Bumpers, Big Windows, Lowered, 15X6 Alloys, and MK1 Suzuki Cultus Gti G13b rally cams, bilstein shocks and springs, momo 14X7 alloys

BB

The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

tim_hcsc

Sorry for the lack of updates, Im just in the process of trying out a Nissan Skyline rear sub frame in the car. Its a much more compact subframe with upper and lower wishbones attached to it plus I can narrow it to move the wheels back in closer to where they should be.
Hopefully some pictures soon.
Its your life, shape it or someone else will.

Lee

So many months later---hows it going??

Pinkmaggit

Lee

Hey Guys

I'm curious as to what happened to the mid engine Polo

Does anyone know if this was ever completed?