Hi Kiwi VR6ers, can U help..my clock resets by itself on ignition!!

Started by swayv6, January 28, 2005, 02:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swayv6

Firstly - good to hear there are fellow VR6 drivers out here in NZ...thought I might have been in a minority.
The comments read as though we have some pretty experienced techos out there - which is great.
Can one of you guys help me out with a little bug?
When I turn ignition on the fuel guage dips down, there is a small whirring noise and the clock resets. Happens 50% of the time, but not all the time. Any clues as to what could be causing this and how to fix? Thanks...VR6 Golf 1997

bsting

Hmm odd one
Have you had your battery tested ? Could be on the way out.

orggti

most of the instruments run on only 7 or 10 volts and there is a small resistor that cuts the 12 volts down to this in the back of the dash this may be spiking and causing it to reset. thats the only thing i can think of. Ask Uq20v (Rex) he is a electronics engineer and probly the most knowledgeable on VAG stuff. Or ring steve at the speedo repair place on newton gully PH 3775866 (he hates euro stuff but they all do)

dubstar

Quote from: swayv6 on January 28, 2005, 02:47:20 PM
Firstly - good to hear there are fellow VR6 drivers out here in NZ...thought I might have been in a minority.
The comments read as though we have some pretty experienced techos out there - which is great.
Can one of you guys help me out with a little bug?
When I turn ignition on the fuel guage dips down, there is a small whirring noise and the clock resets. Happens 50% of the time, but not all the time. Any clues as to what could be causing this and how to fix? Thanks...VR6 Golf 1997

Ahhh, the quantum physics of VAG.

VAG were the first to install flux capacitors in their cars.  Unfortunately they only control the clock and go a bit hay wire every so often and start making the clock go "back to the future."
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

swayv6

For future reference - fixed the problem, was the battery not holding a full charge. Now replaced with new and all works fine. ;D

orggti