Tiguan and Touareg

Started by FFS, November 27, 2012, 09:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFS

Whose got good knowledge of these? I've test driven an older Toureg 2.5 diesel today and a '09 Tiguan looking for a replacement for my good ladies aging Freelander. Loved the Tiguan but an acquaintance in the industry says steer clear of any common rail diesels due to the amount which have fuel pump failure.

Anyone know about them?

beeker

My wife has an 06 Touareg 3.0 TDI. Its a very good all round car/truck. Even with higher kms now.

The 3.0 TDI is the sweat spot (does 1,000kms on open road per tank). The 2.5 TDI is under powered, the v6 Petrol ok'ish, and the v8 expensive to run.
Like the Allroad, air suspension failure can occur, so watch for that. Many have metal springs though.

Tiguan is a newer car, but MUCH smaller.

PS. They look much better slightly lowered, and 20" plus wheels fitted.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

S1

My daughter has a 09 Tig R line , the 19s look cool but can aquaplane . Non DSG so not as smooth but without the maintance amazing build quality  and so much fun to drive when your tired of bucket seats and manual changes , half the price of a Q5 but a touch noisy , Ive heard nothing about pump failures
whats broken this week , hold on ill get my wallet

FFS

Thanks guys! Loved the one we drove.

00quattro00

Quote from: FFS on November 27, 2012, 09:52:05 PM
Whose got good knowledge of these? I've test driven an older Toureg 2.5 diesel today and a '09 Tiguan looking for a replacement for my good ladies aging Freelander. Loved the Tiguan but an acquaintance in the industry says steer clear of any common rail diesels due to the amount which have fuel pump failure.

Anyone know about them?

99% of diesels these days are common rail
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

FFS

Yes, it seems a bit odd, which is why I wanted other unbiased views. This man runs and owns an automotive business, - not a one man band in a provincial town either,- and I have dealt wih him for nigh on 15 yrs so he has my respect and I listen when he says something. Advice to him from the owner of a business which rebuilds diesel fuel pumps was to steer clear of the common rail diesels. i just don't know enough about them, but they certainly put out the power compared to the old oilers. Maybe the pumps aren't lasting like they should. Must have a scratch on the internet.

00quattro00

Imo there is no point in buying a diesel in something like the Tiguan. There is no saving in economy, they cost more to buy, cost more to service and cost more when they crap themselves
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

spooln

Tig has a good tow rating for small boats, braked trailer to 2 ton. Really fue efficient for a 4wd, seeing a low as 4.9 on open road, easier to park in towns due to size. Pretty versatile IMO.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

GLIDN

Quote from: 00quattro00 on November 28, 2012, 09:28:26 PM
Imo there is no point in buying a diesel in something like the Tiguan. There is no saving in economy, they cost more to buy, cost more to service and cost more when they s**t themselves

Hey Basil,

you do realize the Tiguan Diesel gets almost 1000-1100km's per tank open road and around 750-850km's around town
vs 650-700km open road and 400-500km's around town for the Tiguan TSI (MK5/MK6 Variant GTI engine)?

Surely that's enough point in it's own right? Plus Diesel has pretty good towing capacity too.
Interior space for the Tiguan is less than 10% larger than a MK5 Golf I'm afraid.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

schattenblau

Can we get a 155kW petrol Tig in NZ ?

Last time I looked the NZ petrol version was 132kW.

Across the Tasman Ockers can get a real GTI-engined Tig - 155Kw and 7-speed DSG.

>:(

FFS

Quote from: schattenblau on November 30, 2012, 06:36:33 PM

Across the Tasman Ockers can get a real GTI-engined Tig - 155Kw and 7-speed DSG.

I haven't seen one during my search. might've slipped past though as we've been concentrating on diesel, as we do a bit of mileage. Will be my wifes car if something absolutely right turns up. Tried today getting Iphone connected to tigs bluetooth on one (we've driven and returned to) at Inghams in Hamilton but even though has the large touchscreen with phone buttons on it and on the steering wheel that was a no go for connection. The dealer thinks some come out that way with the buttons but without the actual bluetooth inbuilt.

Love the sound of that mileage with the diesel. RUC will reduce that shine somewhat though.

GLIDN

Quote from: schattenblau on November 30, 2012, 06:36:33 PM

There are 132 and 140kw variants available, So basically the FSI engine.
You can buy a brand new TSI tiguan then it has the 155kw TSI GTI engine.

But even at the 132/140kw variant, after a tune it ends up with same power as per Golf GTI. So it's just been detuned at the factory.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

FFS

155kw sounds alright!   The diesel with 103kw is enough for my non-leadfoot wife already though...

schattenblau

Quote from: GLIDN on December 03, 2012, 05:47:05 PM
There are 132 and 140kw variants available, So basically the FSI engine.
You can buy a brand new TSI tiguan then it has the 155kw TSI GTI engine.

But even at the 132/140kw variant, after a tune it ends up with same power as per Golf GTI. So it's just been detuned at the factory.

Why doesn't VWNZ update their website !

All they have listed are 132 petrol and 103 diesel.

FFS

Bought a Tiguan in the end. Flew to Dunedn Sat avo and picked it up, drove it back to the Waikato. I am stunned at how good this car is.

spooln

77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

FFS

Newest addition...enroute to home from Dunedin last weekend

FFS

S1

They eat up a long drive with ease
whats broken this week , hold on ill get my wallet

schattenblau