Front suspension arms

Started by Long Black, November 21, 2012, 07:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Black

My '99 V6 Synchro wagon has front suspension issues!! Granted it has done 207km, however the bulk of that mileage (200) wa done on the original shocks and arms. So I get the shocks replaced, and low and behold the arms and bushes are had it. The car was professionally lowered by the previous owner and rode beautifully on 18's, however at 190km the shocks started to go (not bad considering). I have now had two, yes two, sets of upper and lower arms replaced which have been recommended as a less expensive alternative to genuine VW parts, and have been fitted to many A4/Passat B5 chassis. On both occasions the bushes have collapsed after approx 1,500km. I am now meeting with the importer of the parts who recommends genuine (not a lot of faith in his own product!), yet also tells me he has fitted heaps of these parts without issue. I just want it resolved, and without spending anymore than the 2k I've already forked out. Has anyone got any ideas why this problem is repeating itself?
1999 B5 VW Passat V6 Syncro Wagon - Black...gone
2007 B7 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - Black...gone
2011 B8 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - White..Gone
2008 Mk5 VW Golf GTI - Black
2012 B8 Audi S4 Avant - Brilliant Red

wilco

I have both an '01 Passat and a '98 A4 so have had reasonable exposure to those suspension arms, having replaced a number also. The Passat has 220k or so, the A4 coming up 300k.

It may be that the lowering of the car has put the ball joints out of scope, that is, they are at the extremes of their movement range. I don't know what the lowering limit would be however suggest if it's only minor you may not have problems.
One other thing you may check is that all torqueing is carried out with car back on the ground and bounced a couple of times to settle their locations.

I've bought all my new arms from Qualitiats.  They supply a German aftermarket product which to date have been fine. I guess I've done 40,000km so far on the first one I changed a couple of years ago.

W.

M

They have to be fitted in line with where they sit when car is back on ground. Hard to explain but if they are tightened up with arm facing too high the bush will be twisted when car is on wheels and it will just chew out the bush.
Too much power is almost enough.

Long Black

Had 3 experts check and all say it's OK...just creaky after open road run in the wet, and over speed humps. Keen for you to have a look when in Q'town next if you have time.
1999 B5 VW Passat V6 Syncro Wagon - Black...gone
2007 B7 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - Black...gone
2011 B8 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - White..Gone
2008 Mk5 VW Golf GTI - Black
2012 B8 Audi S4 Avant - Brilliant Red