B7 RS4 2006 - Head unit options

Started by bballz, November 29, 2012, 09:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bballz

Hey All,

Just got my RS4 a few weeks back - didnt know what i was missing!

The one thing that bugs me is the head unit - The Audi Symphony seems pretty crappy even for a 2006 car , with a tape deck etc and no Aux port ...

I would love to have the  Sat nav installed - not because i want sat nav but the rest of the features on it seem great along with fitting in with the Car without looking retarded ... if that makes sense

Ive seen this topic discussed on many forums - retro fitting Sat nav should work but i was wandering if anyone here has had this done to successfully ? did you do it your self or is there some place that can do it for you ? The service center at Audi didnt seem to think so although i might not have talked to the right guy

Looking at this RS4 for sale on trademe looks like it can be ? im pretty sure the 2006 never came with the option of Sat nav when bought new based on what i've read ?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=534477577

Cheers

haggis

It is only one step up from the Gramaphone really but the sound is good. I have an iPod connector on mine which is in the dookit, it thinks it is a big long CD and i just leave it on shuffle. Not ideal but better than nothing. I haven;t seen any decent retrofits.

bballz

well that sounds better than nothing for sure

how does the ipod connector work ? there's no Aux port on this Symphony is there ?

so tempted to order this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RNS-E-AUDI-A4-S4-RS4-NAVIGATION-SATNAV-DVD-2012-MAP-/170945246838?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27cd217676

although i have no idea what a DIY install would involve ..... would be an expensive fail though

schattenblau

That TM car is a UK import which explains the satnav.

Nothing wrong with a tape deck (if you have good tapes).

;D

GLIDN

Quote from: haggis on November 29, 2012, 02:25:11 PM
Fark knows - I think its a Denison or something, wasn't cheap but it works well.http://www.dension.com/product/ipod-car-adapter/ipod-iphone-auxin-id3/gateway-100

Really? I personally found the Dension 100/200 and 300 bloody awful to use on the Symphony and Concerto audi system via radio and it did at least display limited information on the MFA in the B7 Audi's I played with.

I think even the GROM is a better unit, does not display MFD information for most Audi/VW. But would happily live with it's useablilty with no info then the otherway around.

Replacing the OEM radio with aftermarket units, do pose a slight issue with volume between front and rear speakers. To the point that I recommend bypassing the OEM rear amplifier and subwoofer. then run a new amplifier or from radio to replace all 4 speakers. Or tap into OEM speaker wire for the rear doors to bypass OEM aplification
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

haggis

Seems alright to me, i push CD twice and the second 'CD" is the iPod. I just leave it on shuffle and advance forwards backwards using the >> and << buttons - sounds fine to me. Absolutely no display whatsoever other than it being a track with the time but then I don't really care too much about that. To be fair when i say it works OK i am meaning from a low base i.e. CDs or Radio. 07 B7 RS4 nz new by the way.

BDI_S4

I'd go straight to this if I had a B7 - http://zenec.com.au/ZE-NC3141D-Audi.php

For some reason they don't advertise it for a B6 (which is what I've got) - although it looks to me like it should fit fine.

hrrrrsn

That Zenec has some nice specs but the UI looks dreadful. I'm a bit hesitant to replace the OEM Concert 2 in my B7 just because I'm being anal about ugly looking third party headunits. :/
Audi A4 B7 Quattro 2.0T S-Line
VW Golf mk4

beeker

The upgraded multimedia Satnav unit 'was' an option in NZ, but as they didnt have any maps, only a very few cars were fitted in NZ with them.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

leebske

Any idea whether buying this RNS-E unit from the UK would be plug and play?

Quite interested myself
12' BMW 1M (Alpine White)
03' BMW E46 M3 6MT (Titanium Silver)
03' VW Golf R32 3dr (Black)

beeker

Quote from: leebske on December 07, 2012, 04:04:55 AM

Quite interested myself

Thought about the same. Still no maps available thou.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

BDI_S4

Quote from: leebske on December 07, 2012, 04:04:55 AM

Quite interested myself

Some good answers on that question, posted by Highperformanceaudi, in this thread: http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,18675.0.html

beeker

Quote from: BDI_S4 on December 07, 2012, 08:58:45 AM
Some good answers on that question, posted by Highperformanceaudi, in this thread: http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,18675.0.html

Output form a separate GPS into the headunit video input would work, but its not as tidy as an integrated solution, alas we don't have that choice with OEM.
14 RS6 Avant Black
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

hrrrrsn

What other advantages would the RNS-E have over the Concert if navigation wasn't a concern? I'm fairly interested in ordering one
Audi A4 B7 Quattro 2.0T S-Line
VW Golf mk4

BDI_S4

Quote from: hrrrrsn on December 08, 2012, 02:46:02 PM
What other advantages would the RNS-E have over the Concert if navigation wasn't a concern? I'm fairly interested in ordering one

Looks 100x cooler /more modern :)

nordschleife

If you have OEM bluetooth it will also show your address book, etc. - worth it for that alone.
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car and looking for another - F10 LCI
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

moochier

Hi guys,

Where did you get to with the aftermarket options? Has anyone bought anything yet?

I'd also be keen on replacing the head unit. I'm not worried about navigation but more an OEM style unit that has hands free for my iphone and also allows music functionality from iphone/iPod, any other functions would just be a bonus.

Maybe combine shipping to make it more efficient?

Cheers
RS4 Black Avant '06 B7 | milltek - replacement!!
RS4 Black Avant '07 B7 - toast
Alfa Giulietta Black '12 - you have to have had at least one right?!

bballz

i was dead keen on buying the factory one from this guy on ebay
http://stores.ebay.com/sat-nav-system-experts/Audi-navigation-systems-/_i.html?_fsub=514046319&_sid=1087920799&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

bit confused now after seeing a slightly different model - RNS-E PU - i thought there was only 2 variants , an older one and a new one with an HD screen, this seems to be a 3rd type ....

also debating where the money should go for now .... head unit or exhaust  :P

moochier

Does it matter that there are 3 variants? Find out which is the best one and but that...

Are these pretty much plug and play? Where do you get NZ maps from?

What else is needed to get an iphone connected to them?

I'm pretty keen to get something as long as it will work as a phone hands free and play music from my iPod as well.
RS4 Black Avant '06 B7 | milltek - replacement!!
RS4 Black Avant '07 B7 - toast
Alfa Giulietta Black '12 - you have to have had at least one right?!