B7 RS4 2006 - Head unit options

Started by bballz, November 29, 2012, 09:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bballz

as far as i know (someone correct me if im wrong)

the RNSE unit wont offer Bluetooth hands free just by it self - you need the Audi Blue tooth kit which you can also find on ebay etc for another 500$ or so

but the blue tooth kit only allows you to make calls and use the phone through the RNSE unit, you still cant play music from the iphone wthout fitting an AUX port (i think there are some kits for this as well)

if all you want to do is use hands free and get music from the phone/ipod youre better off getting one of the Denison units below and keep youre existing head unit? all the RNSE unit offers is a nicer looking head unit with a screen and you can play music off SD cards etc 

mikemas

Quote from: bballz on January 12, 2013, 10:07:06 AM
i was dead keen on buying the factory one from this guy on ebay
http://stores.ebay.com/sat-nav-system-experts/Audi-navigation-systems-/_i.html?_fsub=514046319&_sid=1087920799&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

bit confused now after seeing a slightly different model - RNS-E PU - i thought there was only 2 variants , an older one and a new one with an HD screen, this seems to be a 3rd type ....

also debating where the money should go for now .... head unit or exhaust  :P

Exhaust for sure..you'll spend your time listening to that instead of the stereo anyway if you do both (from experience).
Always slow down for Ka band!!

beeker

Bumping this old thread.

As i;ve upgraded my iphone to a 5, i cant use my old tomtom car kit.
I'm already ordered a Proclip physical cradle (with charging), and are now looking to upgrade the MP3 adapter to the factory Symphony.

I'm planning to use a bluetooth unit for streaming the music.

From a quick goggle, Grom and Dension seem popular?

Does anyone have direct experience here, on the B7 (ideally RS4)?
Please share your experience and recomendations.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Period_Correct_

Bump, sorry to bring back an old thread but it's pretty apt for what I'm after.

I would like to have phone connectivity and music streaming from my android phone as well as keep the interior looking as stock as possible.

Any tjps on this? So far I think the Exeo RNS-e is the latest Audi head unit that will fit and if you add the Bluetooth module you're good.

Anything else? SatNAV isn't high on the list as I can use my phone for directions, etc
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

coltspeed

GLIDN

Quote from: NasTnaS on January 20, 2017, 06:57:01 AM
Bump, sorry to bring back an old thread but it's pretty apt for what I'm after.

I would like to have phone connectivity and music streaming from my android phone as well as keep the interior looking as stock as possible.

Any tjps on this? So far I think the Exeo RNS-e is the latest Audi head unit that will fit and if you add the Bluetooth module you're good.

Anything else? SatNAV isn't high on the list as I can use my phone for directions, etc

the RNS-E is a stupid unit sorry. It's slow, clumsy, poor quality.
In this instance I would recommend a Android unit over the RNS-E.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

moochier

Quote from: coltspeed on January 20, 2017, 09:44:26 AM
I am keen on finding out also

Yeah me too, but I would be connecting an iPhone. Also Nav not important to me either.

What 'android' unit is good GLIDN?
RS4 Black Avant '06 B7 | milltek - replacement!!
RS4 Black Avant '07 B7 - toast
Alfa Giulietta Black '12 - you have to have had at least one right?!

Period_Correct_

1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

Poonmobile

I bought Beekers old Dension unit, was pretty easy to install and works pretty well off my phone streaming music. I didn't fix the microphone to take calls but that could be done too. I too prefer to keep the interior looking stock, so aftermarket units (to me) never look that good. Nice, when we meet up, you can see mine in action. And lets face it, you tend to listen to the engine and exhaust more than the music ;)
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

Period_Correct_

yea Ash, the V8 noise is great....

What about the audi bluetooth unit? is that any good? im thinking that will keep me getting by with phone connectivity until i can work out where i can get the Seat Exeo RNS-E from at a reasonable price...

any ideas?

ranton-inc

Quote from: hrrrrsn on December 08, 2012, 02:46:02 PM
What other advantages would the RNS-E have over the Concert if navigation wasn't a concern? I'm fairly interested in ordering one

Rns-e is a waste of time. Nav doesnt work in NZ.

Its clunky to use and costs a fortune to buy ans is not worth the haslte.. ask me how i know.

McDoof

Android units are mostly from China. I run one in my Golf.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170122164010&SearchText=audi+rs4+android

They are all pretty much running the same spec so you just pick one with the look that you like best.

I really like mine and the stock sound from it is on par with the VAG unit I had in. Although I have now put in an amp etc. They have finally started popping up with 2GB of memory now which is a plus. Mine only has 1GB of memory and if I don't run the "rocket button" when I start it it runs like a pig.

The plus side of these units is that they run full android, so you can load up any apps you want. I have a 4G Wifi stick in my car which connects it to the internet and gives me spotify without needing my phone. Full up to date google maps if you have internet.

The negative for me is just the boot time. It takes a good 30 seconds from turning the car on before it starts working. A bit quicker if you are using FM only, but running a music app takes a bit of time and the thing as I have it is a bit slow.

I recently installed a reverse camera which I was a bit worried about in that I thought you would have to wait for the unit to boot before it works, but it seems to bypass the Android OS for the reverse camera and works from the start.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Period_Correct_

Quote from: ranton-inc on January 23, 2017, 01:42:22 PM
Rns-e is a waste of time. Nav doesnt work in NZ.

Its clunky to use and costs a fortune to buy ans is not worth the haslte.. ask me how i know.

It seems a few have said this. I don't mind an alternative as long as it looks in keeping with the dash.

McDoof

That only has one 1GB ram.
Better off with something that has 2GB of RAM
The 1GB models struggle to keep up with modern apps.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-Quad-Core-2GB-RAM-4G-LTE-SIM-WIFI-Android-6-0-Car-DVD-Player-Radio/32787990925.html
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Period_Correct_

OK, so I've found these double din Blaupunkt radios with android auto and car play. They are designed for the VW and skoda which I think this means it has the rounded corners when compared to the B7 with sharp corners... If only this would fit the B7...

Many have said the RNS-e isnt that good, so I dont really want to go backwards....