Author Topic: B7 RS4 2006 - Head unit options  (Read 3437 times)

Offline ziptie.nz

• ##
Re: B7 RS4 2006 - Head unit options
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 01:42:22 pm »
What other advantages would the RNS-E have over the Concert if navigation wasn't a concern? I'm fairly interested in ordering one

Rns-e is a waste of time. Nav doesnt work in NZ.

Its clunky to use and costs a fortune to buy ans is not worth the haslte.. ask me how i know.

Offline McDoof

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 01:48:47 pm »
Android units are mostly from China. I run one in my Golf.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170122164010&SearchText=audi+rs4+android

They are all pretty much running the same spec so you just pick one with the look that you like best.

I really like mine and the stock sound from it is on par with the VAG unit I had in. Although I have now put in an amp etc. They have finally started popping up with 2GB of memory now which is a plus. Mine only has 1GB of memory and if I don't run the "rocket button" when I start it it runs like a pig.

The plus side of these units is that they run full android, so you can load up any apps you want. I have a 4G Wifi stick in my car which connects it to the internet and gives me spotify without needing my phone. Full up to date google maps if you have internet.

The negative for me is just the boot time. It takes a good 30 seconds from turning the car on before it starts working. A bit quicker if you are using FM only, but running a music app takes a bit of time and the thing as I have it is a bit slow.

I recently installed a reverse camera which I was a bit worried about in that I thought you would have to wait for the unit to boot before it works, but it seems to bypass the Android OS for the reverse camera and works from the start.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning

Offline NasTnaS

• ##
  • Live and Learn.....
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 04:14:07 pm »
Rns-e is a waste of time. Nav doesnt work in NZ.

Its clunky to use and costs a fortune to buy ans is not worth the haslte.. ask me how i know.

It seems a few have said this. I don't mind an alternative as long as it looks in keeping with the dash.
...Nigel Aston

1967 Alfa Romeo GT Junior
1971 Porsche 911T
2006 Audi RS4 Avant

Offline McDoof

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 04:20:59 pm »
That only has one 1GB ram.
Better off with something that has 2GB of RAM
The 1GB models struggle to keep up with modern apps.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-Quad-Core-2GB-RAM-4G-LTE-SIM-WIFI-Android-6-0-Car-DVD-Player-Radio/32787990925.html
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning

Offline NasTnaS

• ##
  • Live and Learn.....
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2017, 04:39:34 pm »
OK, so I've found these double din Blaupunkt radios with android auto and car play. They are designed for the VW and skoda which I think this means it has the rounded corners when compared to the B7 with sharp corners... If only this would fit the B7...

Many have said the RNS-e isnt that good, so I dont really want to go backwards....

...Nigel Aston

1967 Alfa Romeo GT Junior
1971 Porsche 911T
2006 Audi RS4 Avant