GTI, Edition 30 or R32?

Started by 106_racecar, December 14, 2012, 09:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

106_racecar

I am looking at getting a Golf as a commuting car keeping a 4WD for family duties.  I have shortlisted the Golf GTI, GTI Edition 30 and R32 and interested in feedback on the models, whether its better to get a manual over DSG as I personally prefer manual and it might be a better proposition on a Golf in the mid 20k range?

Initial thoughts are that I quite like the sound of the R32 but it seems heavy and less nimble compared to a GTI.  I recall my 2001 S3 went well but always felt a little heavy and less nimble compared to a FWD car.  Sure AWD is good for traction but I see that people have modified Edition 30's on the forum and are rapt with them.  Consequently, are all the Edition 30's DSG?
2007 Golf GTI

alexh

My ed30 stage2 is fast as hell No r32 would keep up without a turbo. Love it
- 2013 - ML63 AMG - White
- 2014 - Golf R - White   
- 2008 - S63 AMG - Black
- 2002 - E46 M3 - Silver

GLIDN

Pm me. I can happily provide feedback for a GTI or ED30 even R32.

In short you can have a GTI or ed30 DSG or manual.
As long as you have MFSW with flappy paddles. Then DSG over manual everytime.
Happy to take you for a drive in our GTI's
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

schattenblau

Quote from: 106_racecar on December 14, 2012, 09:37:39 PM
I am looking at getting a Golf as a commuting car keeping a 4WD for family duties.  I have shortlisted the Golf GTI, GTI Edition 30 and R32 and interested in feedback on the models, whether its better to get a manual over DSG as I personally prefer manual and it might be a better proposition on a Golf in the mid 20k range?

Initial thoughts are that I quite like the sound of the R32 but it seems heavy and less nimble compared to a GTI.  I recall my 2001 S3 went well but always felt a little heavy and less nimble compared to a FWD car.  Sure AWD is good for traction but I see that people have modified Edition 30's on the forum and are rapt with them.  Consequently, are all the Edition 30's DSG?

Your initial thoughts are spot on.

(Mk5) GTI - best all-rounder

GTI Ed30 - best of the Mk5's to drive but you lose versatility - NZ only got 3dr versions in manual and DSG.

R32 - not as nice as a GTI to drive but has one of the great sounding engines, more cruiser than hot hatch.

Manual vs DSG - both are great gearboxes, less hassles and lower servicing costs with manual. DSG quicker shifting, less involving, service history essential.

GLIDN

Do not forget the 3 and 5 door Pirelli edition.
It's the same as the ED30 engine wise. But the you have the ability of a 5 door and slighty nicer seats and yellow accent stiching throughout the car.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: GLIDN on December 15, 2012, 07:35:50 AM
Do not forget the 3 and 5 door Pirelli edition.
It's the same as the ED30 engine wise. But the you have the ability of a 5 door and slighty nicer seats and yellow accent stiching throughout the car.

Though NZ only got 2? Pirelli editions? And Ive seen one secondhand import?

A Ed30 manual is the way to go if you can live with a 3 door.

R32's sound nice but look ugly with that chrome grill and flowery wheel design. VW really dropped the ball on the R32 design from the Mk4 to the Mk5.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

rambo_005

schattenblau

does the op want an import ?

that pirelli is a typical juc with patchy spec ( no mf steering wheel etc.).

M

Edition 30 all day long. And DSG would be my choice I think.
Too much power is almost enough.

GLIDN

Quote from: schattenblau on December 15, 2012, 10:37:18 AM
does the op want an import ?

that pirelli is a typical juc with patchy spec ( no mf steering wheel etc.).

The Pirelli actually has the highest spec out of factory. The Japanese however remove the MFSW. Which is stupidly easy to add btw. It's just anothe form of ED30.

As far the OP is concerned about import or NZ new. Personally I would a import over a NZ new any day of the week. Due to higher spec and more safety features.
I.E. all the airbags front and rear with xenon.
Most NZ new do not have them not even all leather equipped NZ new GTI's have them.

But this goes specifically to the MK5 maybe even mk6 I would consider an import.

As long as you know how to rectify oil burn or prevent it. Which I think I have. Will follow on the girlfriends GTI in the coming months. You will have a damn hard car to replace, unless you replace it with another MK5 to be honest.

schattenblau

The European Pirelli may have been the highest spec'd Mk5 GTI ex-factory but the two new ones bought into NZ (by EMD ?) were low spec orphans from Japan.

Non-MF steering wheel.

Mid-line dash display.

No parking sensors.

Single CD.

But they did have xenon headlights !

Plant me in the NZ new corner.

;D

GLIDN

Schattenblau -

Adding MFSW is stupidly easy especially if you already have flappy paddle
Midline to highline upgrade can be done. 2007 onwards is harder, still can be done.
That and having my radio station on the dash does personally not phase me. Nice to have not need to have.

RCD300? - anyone contemplating keeping an RCD300/500 in there golf should have the heads read.
                RCD310/510 well worth the upgrade.

I can understand the NZ corner component. It comes down the specific golfs some in Japanese form are better and dare I say even more reliable then NZ version. That being said easily can go the other way as well.

There are some really good points being made not only about the country of origin but also spec levels and what to look out for etc.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: schattenblau on December 15, 2012, 11:38:49 AM
The European Pirelli may have been the highest spec'd Mk5 GTI ex-factory but the two new ones bought into NZ (by EMD ?) were low spec orphans from Japan.

Non-MF steering wheel.

Mid-line dash display.

No parking sensors.

Single CD.

But they did have xenon headlights !

Plant me in the NZ new corner.

;D

I wouldnt own a Jap import for the crappy Jap spec bumpers. NZ new all the way for me as well.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

polo_GTI

Drive all of them in manual and DSG - pick the one you like. You are not likely to go wrong with any of them!

I do love Edition 30s - but likely others states - it's 3 door only, and I like 5 doors due to practicality. Pirelli is a good option but they seem to be quite expensive for what it is.

For me NZ new any day - as changing odometer is often as easy to plug in a laptop and dial in the number you want. Or just change the the instrument. That's what I hear from the mechanics that I know... go by what the interior / and car looks like rather than judging by the kms. And if you can get a service history from Japan or UK - fantastic.

It takes time to find a good spec car, I do agree. But they are out there.
And yes, I do like my euro plates. (German plates even more!  :police:)
NZ '06 Polo GTI 9n3 REVO Stage2 / H&R springs / Whiteline adjustable sway bars / EBC / SS brake lines / APR mount / Uprated bushes / Forge DV / 3" Downpipe / ECS flywheel / 4barFR / Seat intake / K&N / Forge strut
NZ '06 Golf GTI DSG, Xenon, Leather, Reverse sensor / Bluefin Stage 1

00quattro00

Quote from: polo_GTI on December 15, 2012, 06:55:48 PM
Drive all of them in manual and DSG - pick the one you like. You are not likely to go wrong with any of them!

I do love Edition 30s - but likely others states - it's 3 door only, and I like 5 doors due to practicality. Pirelli is a good option but they seem to be quite expensive for what it is.

For me NZ new any day - as changing odometer is often as easy to plug in a laptop and dial in the number you want. Or just change the the instrument. That's what I hear from the mechanics that I know... go by what the interior / and car looks like rather than judging by the kms. And if you can get a service history from Japan or UK - fantastic.

It takes time to find a good spec car, I do agree. But they are out there.
And yes, I do like my euro plates. (German plates even more!  :police:)

I have read that the ecu also record mileage and it cannot be changed so if the cluster matches the ecu reading its correct
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

schattenblau

Quote from: RS ZWEI on December 15, 2012, 06:48:37 PM
I wouldnt own a Jap import for the crappy Jap spec bumpers. NZ new all the way for me as well.

I believe the NZ new Pirellis had the bumpers changed to accommodate NZ plates.

creepdontsleep

you should totally buy a silver r32, they're so rare...
Mercedes Benz ML350CDI 4MATIC
Audi C7 RS6 Avant

Mercedes Benz CLA45 AMG
Audi B7 RS4 Avant Misano Red
Audi B8 S4 Avant Unitronic Stage 3+
VW Mk5 R32 OEM+
Honda DC2 Integra Type R 98 Spec
Mitsubishi Lancer GSR 
Honda EG6 Civic K20A

slowmo

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

GLIDN

Very good point Basil,

The DSG cars has its own odometer in the DSG computer, one in the ECU and one in the cluster.

xring

Always makes me laugh when someone puts up a query on here about a car. There is always someone who makes the comment that one car is quicker than another etc, or that one car handles better than another. When comparing the MkV GTI and MkV R32, it is totally irrelevant. They are so close in performance that the difference will never be noticed on the road. Both cars will get to 100kph in 6.5 - 7 secs if caned. Both cars will comfortably exceed 140kph, at which point you are in loss of license territory.

The only time it would even remotely be an issue is if you were racing on a track. And even then the driver would make the difference. It is entirely up to the individuals preference which one of these cars one should go for. I have had two MkV GTI's, and I have had several VW V6's. The one BIG difference is the sound. In my opinion (notice, I say MY opinion), the sound of the V6 is what makes the difference. And that sound can be enjoyed while still driving at the legal speed limit.
Polo GTI 2013
Bora MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV R32 - gone
Golf MkV GTI DSG - gone
Golf MkIV V6 4motion - gone
Golf MkIV V5 manual - gone
Golf MkV GTI manual- gone
Golf MkIV V5 - gone
Golf MkIII GLI - gone