Shed find 356 speedster ???

Started by watercooled, December 31, 2012, 09:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watercooled

Started building this little plastic car SO long ago and thought it was time to dig it out,there was motors ,golf parts and stuff from our rental place in the way,and yes I'am an untidy hoarder.
Topped up the temporary fuel tank ,primed the electric pump ,2 pushes on the go pedal and the t4 flashed into life after about 3yrs sleeping.
Checked the brakes and the clutch and that was stuck pushed the hydraulic pedal to the max and it popped.
Went for a spin on the gravel road into my place with the Webers popping and spitting what a buzz ,then the old brain cut in its close to new year??????,resolution time.
I have the subframe done just needs final welding and a few brackets,the body is a sh#tload of work to get right before bonding to the subframe but I'am not dying yet,besides I'am over the Golfs for a while so I will sidestep to this one.
Future plans are 2.2T motor (have one)and a real outlaw look because its an easy way to save weight and it looks  8).
Hoping to bolt up the 2.2 in the next few days for a test fit but reckon the cooling fan may be in the way so may move the g/box back to suit.
1974 Porsche 914 with 2.2T 911 6cyl,
Audi a6 allroad 2007 3.0TDI stage 1 reflash ,
89 Corrado 2.0 16v, Stilauto RX 17in wheels,ABF on k/jet ,resto underway maybe up for sale ?,
2002 T4 transporter 2.5 TDI.

SOFTLAD

the phantom

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

watercooled

Quote from: the phantom on January 01, 2013, 10:16:52 AM
absolutely never happened  ;) ;D

Yea woke up this morning and wow what a dream that was, someone must have spiked my drink bas#ards  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.
Alright,alright,will post pics when my eldest returns my camera.
Had an issue with the hyd clutch and always suspected the master cylinder wasn't moving enough fluid to match the slave on the g/box.
Fitted a cluch master cylinder from an e28 BM and it went in and operated like it was made for it,just have to get the free-play right due to the adjusting rod being to short.
Clutch bolted up to 911 motor but can't remember if the pressure plate throw out bearing contact ring has to be removed or not,suspect the release bearing should contact straight to the pressue plate fingers,anyone know?
The next task after test fitting the engine will be to work out where the oil tank is going,want to keep it in the airstream but also need to consider damage from rocks/stones etc,these tanks are also fairly fragile.
Hopefully I will order valve and  cam chain cover gaskets and rear crank seal from the states soon,want to check cam chains and set valve clearances before run up.
89 Corrado 2.0 16v, Stilauto RX 17in wheels,ABF on k/jet ,resto underway maybe up for sale ?,

watercooled

Quote from: SOFTLAD on January 01, 2013, 12:30:25 AM
need pics, or it never happened ;)

Some pics for the knockers and post  :police: I don't muck with projects only started this car 10yrs ago :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

P1000499 by watercooled2, on Flickr

P1000505 by watercooled2, on Flickr

Heres a few more pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86256780@N06/sets/72157632396593121/

The 2.2T is a great motor did time in a 70 model Kombi so it has a custom made flywheel to suit any T1 or T2 gearbox's but the clutch is small @ 200mm but it held together in the kombi for 2 years and is still serviceable.
Thinking of opening it up to a larger p/plate our going to a KEP heavy duty unit time will tell.

brian

Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

watercooled

No project is ever finished but yes not to far away, have parts to finish except for windscreen posts,Nigel @ platinum was super helpful in the early days with bonnet, bumpers and a few basic bits.
The body isn't too flash but I don't really worry as I was a boatbuider for a while so the fiberglass is easily sorted.

watercooled

Started on 2.2T motor,set up dizzy and static timing,love the sticker on the fan shroud- timing "30 degrees BTDC @ 6000rpm''.
Removed clutch and released the contact ring off the diaphram pressure plate,my gearbox has the later crosshaft mod so its redundant I had forgot that.
Sachs pressure plate is in good condition but the disk is some no brand so I will order a new one,besides its a rigid one and I prefer the spring type.
Looking @ removal the air feed ducts to the heat exchangers as I will run headers and an electric heater fan for demisting the tiny windscreen  :laugh: :laugh:
Fuel lines to replace on the Zeniths as they are really hard and dry ,one snapped off when I pulled one off the left carb,so pleased with this motor ,good compression,and most importantly no oil leaks,just the flywheel seal to do.
Checked out my dry sump tank and need to buy a pressure line but have the return hose and fitting which seem to have strange threads.

watercooled

Ordered pressure line for dry sump tank and correct oil filter ,the tank I have is from a 76 2.7 so no level sensor not worried as they are not much use and the dipstick is the best check and they hold more oil.
Still need the dipstick filler pipe but they are a bit hard to find,may make one.
Looking @ a partial strip down of motor to check for timing chain ramps/chains and altenator condition and have new front and rear crank seals to install.
Plan is to jig up the oil tank, hook up a gearbox and bench test the beast ,can't wait till I get home from sea.
At the end of the day if it won't fit in the plastic car I will sell the speedster and my 944 and get a longhood 69-71T to put it in,an old Ch Ch mate owns a Porsche resto outfit in states so theres a good contact.

80 Vert

Longhood 911's are pricy as in the States, been looking for a while. 912's on the other hand are still pretty cheap.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

wilco

Yeah doing the ramps and tensioners is a good idea if its been sitting around for a while.  Std tensioners with stop clamps is fine unless your really want to fork out for pressure tensioners. 

Should be able to pick up an oil filler and dipstick easily enough.  They come up on Samba from time to time. 
Keep in the back of your mind I have a 2.2T engine with Zeniths if you need any bits...
The 200mm clutch should be fine in a car with no weight, they don't produce much torque.

W.

watercooled

Quote from: 80 Vert on January 30, 2013, 09:50:13 PM
Longhood 911's are pricy as in the States, been looking for a while. 912's on the other hand are still pretty cheap.
Buy a known rusty one and save,no probs to you John,seriously the 912 is a great option ,easy to convert and yes a lot cheaper.

watercooled

Quote from: wilco on January 31, 2013, 08:24:21 AM
Yeah doing the ramps and tensioners is a good idea if its been sitting around for a while.  Std tensioners with stop clamps is fine unless your really want to fork out for pressure tensioners. 

Should be able to pick up an oil filler and dipstick easily enough.  They come up on Samba from time to time. 
Keep in the back of your mind I have a 2.2T engine with Zeniths if you need any bits...
The 200mm clutch should be fine in a car with no weight, they don't produce much torque.

W.
Cheers thanks,tensioners and ramps on the list before I fire up,I will buy all the gaskets to do chain and valve cover reseal after inspection and tappet reset.
The motor I have is very complete with the exception of the rear cylinder cover plate (other side of cooler) so might try and find one on Pelican,freights the killer here ,never mind.
The Zeniths are good but will need new pump linkage rollers (have made a new set) and will kit them out as the gaskets etc will be gone after all this time.
The gearbox will get heavy duty side covers and heavy diff and spider gears,yea they aren't really a torque monster motor and correct about the low weight.

watercooled

Found a cool US site today and ordered windscreen posts and rubbers,need to test fit screen and frame (which I have) to align windscreen post mounts on subframe.
When I final weld these mounts I will lift of the body and test fit 2.2T motor,got my doubts about the fan clearing the body @ this stage  ::).
Taking rear rims to our local steelie expert today and getting him to fit genuine 356 centres to 7" outers,will be going to max dish outlaw style 8) 8).

watercooled

purchased 3 pin Permatune so I'am close to having electrics for bench test,not enough time, doing mk2 stuff on others peoples cars :(.
Also scored set of NOS CB performance drop spindles (the good ones) ,have adjustable beam already but don't have enough drop as the door hinge post height doesnt allow the body any lower.

Audidude

Tried to translate this page into English using Google translate ...... It came out the same.... weird!
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

wilco

Quote from: Audidude on March 16, 2013, 07:45:37 PM
Tried to translate this page into English using Google translate ...... It came out the same.... weird!

Haha, you're so.... watercooled, Audidude.  :laugh:

watercooled

Quote from: Audidude on March 16, 2013, 07:45:37 PM
Not sure how to take this ,smartass or funny,maybe i'am just dumb,please explain.

watercooled

Some progress ,still going with the 911 motor so looking @ moving it up in the floorpan to clear the body,this will solve another problems as well as getting weight forward ,the 911 is a heavy motor,pretty much twice the present motor,looking @ going around 100mm if I can clear the torsion tube.
All my stuff is here from the states,new oil lines and gaskets for all resealing and other trouble spots.
Cleaned all the crap of the oil tank the other day and its been soldered/brazed by Bombay engineering so have another tank on the way which I can least afford,but its a minter,I don't trust the old tank besides
Talked to my rim guy today and he hadn't started my wheels which is good as will get him to widen to 7.5 inches,old wheels are fully chromed so will just keep the centres as is and paint the outers.