Cam and crank locking tools

Started by Charless, January 01, 2013, 09:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charless

I am in Cambridge. My 2004 2.8 amx engine Passat is due for a new cambelt and I want to try doing it myself as I have been told its $2600 at garage. Is there anywhere I can borrow or hire the cam and crank locking tools as it seems a risky business doing the cambelt without them. Thanks

BB

If it is the first cambelt change just mark it and don't replace the oil seals.
That way you don't have to undo the crank nut which will be insanely tight along with the cam wheels etc.
I know for a fact that most professional garages do not replace the oil seals when they do these belts.
But do the water pump. And tensioners even the big expensive hard to get right and unnecessary sprung one. The big bearing would go 200ks but the end of the springs can snap off.
However you could choose to leave that big sprung tension-er for your own car and save nearly $300 bucks usually.
This is how I would do this job if the customer wants it to save money but needs a rubber belt done.
I hope you are confident to know if you have the belt correctly tensioned as this is something that you cannot explain easily.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?