Buying an A3 8P Sportback

Started by tmase, January 13, 2013, 09:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmase

I am in the market for a 5 door hatch/wagon and like the idea of an A3 Sportback. I'd like something that is small enough for the partner to drive and park in the city and is suitable for young children and their associated strollers etc, but has a bit of get up and go and is fun to drive. At the moment at am torn between the 2.0 TFSI and the 3.2 six cylinder DSG quattro.

Having previously owned a B6 A4 2.0 multitronic I found the CVT coupled with that powerplant a bit underwhelming, so the 2 litre turbo or the 3.2 look to be a bit more involving.

I've read a bit about DSG issues, especially in regards to the mechatronics and am curious if owners in New Zealand have had any experience with problems with these transmissions. Some of the repair prices for the mechatronics I've seen bandied about are a bit horrifying, circa $10k in NZ or 2000 GBP. How common are DSG problems? Is it more of a case of a few people in a small number of cases making a lot of noise?

Seems like the symptoms are juddering when pulling away, slipping between gears and the more terminal, only being able to get 2nd and a flashing gear indicator annunciator on the dash. Anything I'm missing?

I'll be getting a pre-purchase inspection done on anything I get serious about buying, but does anyone know of any particular I should look at on higher mileage examples (around 140,000 kms). Obviously on the 4 cylinders the cam belt should have been done well before then.

Anyway, if anyone has any input or advice for people in the market for one of these models, let me know, it'd be appreciated.

Kman

I bought on 05 2.0T sportback about a year or two ago, hasn't missed a beat really. Couple of little things I replaced myself, but its pretty easy and parts and cheap(ish). I'd say just make sure its been serviced properly, and be preparesd to service it properly, I get mine done at Qualitat and have no complaints.
My DSG hasn't been a problem (touch wood), its slips a little taking off when its cold, but after that its good as gold. They have plenty of room in the boot, but its not a station wagon. In saying that though, we can handle a pushchair or two pretty easily. I suppose because mines an NZ new car and bought it from the original purchasers I was a bit more confident, it had all the service records and Qualitat knew the car. I guess just have someone who knows whats what have a bloody good look at it, and drive it for a bit before you part with any hard earned cash.
1998 MK4 GTi - Sold
2005 Audi A3 Sportback

Trofeo

The 3.2 will have a much shallower boot due to the 4wd, so be sure to check the stroller will fit.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

tmase

I wondered about the boot thing, I looked at a 3.2 yesterday and thought it looked shallow compared to a 2wd I looked at earlier but they weren't side by side, that explains it.

Service history is pretty much going to be a must, especially as I am in Christchurch and I haven't seen anything here that I am happy with yet, so as I have to shoot up to Auckland for work shortly so I was planning to take a look over a few up there, and maybe buy one and drive it back Not quite brave enough to buy a car sight unseen. Plus the Auckland market has a bit more variety.

106_racecar

FYI: The boot size on the FWD is published as 370litres vs 302litres for the AWD.
2007 Golf GTI

tmase

Quote from: 106_racecar on January 19, 2013, 05:57:04 PM
FYI: The boot size on the FWD is published as 370litres vs 302litres for the AWD.

Cheers for that. It's deceiving where the space goes!

On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone know if the the steering wheel paddles are fitted to non-DSG equipped cars? I've been looking at a few cars online but it seems that some people don't know if they have a standard auto box or DSG. I would assume that DSG/S-tronic would have been an option on the 2.0T and standard on the 3.2. Although a manual would be nice, but I can only dream!

JPK

if it has paddles it is dsg. both models you are looking at are only available in manual or dsg. ive only seen two manual 2.0Ts. 95% are dsg and its a great combo
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

Trofeo

There are a very few 2L turbo quattro manuals around also. 
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

handsco

If you're still keen,

I'm probably going to offload my 2005 3.2 quattro s (black) 5dr (105k km's), It's in absolutely mint condition with full main dealer service history. i'm the second owner. I'll be expecting near to top dollar though (in line with market) as i just spent $10k on the a full DSG rebuild (new mech unit, gearbox rebuild & new clutches.) < but those parts are now under warranty. 

and.. the DSG problems are quite common. especially if the car has been driven by some idiot with money and a barely legal driving license (most of china) and the repair will not be cheap. there are numerous companies that claim to be able to repair them.. in reality all they do is replace a solenoid ($100) and charge you $500-1000 .. but in 99% of cases it won't work. and at first you'll be told $2-3k.. then it will ultimately arrive at $10k.

Probably going to move to take the plunge to a q7
2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S