Convert Stereo to Mono in a Car Stereo

Started by dubstar, January 15, 2013, 11:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubstar

As mentioned in my project thread, I need to convert from stereo to mono, so I can run just one speaker in the factory location.

I found a simple wiring diagram (see below) that apparently can convert stereo into mono, however I have found that it distorts the sound and also really limits the volume.  Can any of the electronics experts here tell me another way to get around this?

If I read the schematic correctly, I put resistors on all 4 wires (R+, R-, L+, L-) and then 1 big one between them.  I have used std type resistors rated at 1W.

Schematic:

My wiring:

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Pristle

This is digging into the memory banks. I needed something similar 30 years ago for my Beetle.

You're on the right track I think. Look at this option:

or the one shown here: http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/7015-passive-summing-stereo-to-mono/

I remember adding caps in the circuit I used way back when. Which helped with tone and volume loss. 

Gordo

Was going to mention volume - if the original speaker is being used, it's probably rated for around 6W, maybe more, and the head unit may be overdriving it if you're not careful.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

qta4

Both of these circuit diagrams relate to input to the amplifier stage.
I thought you were taking about the output stage to feed the Speaker's.

What you have will not work at output.
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

dubstar

Yes. I am talking about output straight into the speaker.  That revised schematic looks odd to me, they are grounding the return wires?

Will need to keep hunting.  What would be good is a bridgeable 2 channel amp that is tiny, maybe the size of the ashtray
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."