ABF Oil Filter Housing

Started by fast4motion, January 15, 2013, 07:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fast4motion

I'm just replacing the oil filter housing gasket and oil cooler seal, in the hope of stopping an oil leak on a mates Mk3 GTI (although I suspect it might also the oil pressure switch which is leaking).

When I was removing the housing, I noticed the plastic item in the bottom right of the picture (restrictor or check valve?) was falling out of the circled hole. Judging by the threads and splined/hex head, I'm pretty certain it should actually be threaded into the hole, not just moving about freely in there. Can anyone here confirm that for me? Or could somebody with ETKA or a workshop manual have a look see what it actually is?
Cheers.

Gordo

I can't see a thread in the housing being damaged without the plastic being damaged - be interested if that plastic thing was even supposed to be there.
Looks like it was the green/blue sender that was leaking between the crimp and the plastic.
All I have is a normal Mk3 book and it doesn't mention it, so can't help - sorry.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

fast4motion

Yeah, I'm certain the blue sensor is leaking. It's pretty obvious in that pic!

The threads in the housing are fine. They start quite deep in the hole, so the plastic thing is almost fully inside before the threads begin to engage, hence there being enough room for it to slop about in there. Just seems odd for it to have unscrewed by itself though.

Gordo

May simply not have been tight enough and the vibration, differing expansion rates and the oil to lubricate it may just have allowed it to unscrew itself.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)