Help with Stereo install?

Started by h|tman, February 08, 2013, 09:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h|tman

Hi All,

I have just purchased a dynavin D99 for my 07 Skoda Octavia RS, the unit was previously in a VW golf, but the website says it is also suitable for my vehicle.

My issue is that my car has the sound system upgrade, so runs an external DSP/AMP under the passenger seat.

Have installed all the peripherals and can get the unit running and gps active, however, as expected, no sound.

Has anybody got any experience with this sort of scenario?? I believe through brief research on Briskoda that the DSP/AMP unit requires a CANBUS signal to activate it, however, this is an area I have no experience in...

Any advise or assistance would be VERY much appreciated, am also willing to pay someone for assistance in resolving this if needed... I am based in Auckland also.

Thanks again _b

GLIDN

you will have to remove your dynavin,

Install an RCD510 or similar, the Dynavin unit does have the correct outputs required to activate the OEM amplifier

So either you need to keep that horrible unit and by pass all OEM amplifier and new speaker wiring.
Or go to Bolero (RCD510) and get this sorted, again not any RC510 will do either.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

h|tman

Thanks for the heads up, are the Dynavin units really that bad? Had heard reasonable feedback on them, but obviously cannot believe everything on the net..

Bit guttered as the main point of this swapout (apart from increased sound quality) is the GPS/Bluetooth functionality...

Pretty frustrating if I have to change to a different unit, what are the RCD510's worth in NZ?

GLIDN

Quote from: h|tman on February 08, 2013, 10:46:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up, are the Dynavin units really that bad? Had heard reasonable feedback on them, but obviously cannot believe everything on the net..

Bit guttered as the main point of this swapout (apart from increased sound quality) is the GPS/Bluetooth functionality...

Pretty frustrating if I have to change to a different unit, what are the RCD510's worth in NZ?

if you have a 2006-2009 Skoda, I believe those skoda unit possible are specific or you need the radio surround to put the golf RCD510 in the car.

It's not so much that the dynavins are bad per say. (I personally don't like them from the audio output) There are just a few things people need to be aware of.

If not then you end up where the dynavin unit will not work with your OEM unit. You maybe able to find some propriety wiring loom that somehow triggers the OEM amplifier like they do in the audi's. But then you get to a point where quality gets worse and cost for parts and labour ends you back up at the cost of a replacement OEM unit.

Cost for RCD510 (Bolero unit) you would need to have a chat to Anton I would say. He would be the best bet.

It's nice to have the GPS and bluetooth etc. But I have to say out of all solutions I have used, test or installed in the MK5 platform. The OEM unit far out performs anything on the market. It's seamless integration, you can adjust MIC or speaker volume individually etc. Many after market solutions do not offer you this.

I have to say, the parrot Add-on's from ck3000 evolution to the MK-II9200, All have extremely poor integration.
With using there own buttons or the steering wheel integration modules

The Dension unit's I found are by far the worse of the lot.
On the end of the day, it comes down to how much you are willing to spend to find a "suitable" solution, or just do it right the first time?
that is up to each person to decide.

h|tman

Thank you for the above.

I have already bought a replacement stereo surround to suit the smaller RCD510 (and dynavin obv) shape unit, am hoping this arrives within a week, left Czech Rep last week.

Damn, was hoping that it would not be that much of an issue. If all else fails, I guess I have the option of bypassing the internal amp, however, the signal wires to the amp are a fairly light gauge wire, not sure how much real world difference this will make...

Might see if I can find a wiring diagram for the amp and see what is involved.

Appreciate all feedback, and if anyone has any other suggestions (particularly if they know of a way to activate factory amp) that would be very much welcomed.

Thanks again

GLIDN

the Amp from memory would be triggered from the OEM radio that tells the Can-Gateway to turn on or off etc.
So it's more a case of finding a interceptor per say.

This might be of some help,
http://www.my-gti.com/1313/volkswagen-rcd-510-pin-assignments

giving you the wiring on the car side,

One thing I forgot however, is that if the dynavin does not send the power up the aerial output. You will require the propriety aerial adaptor as well,.
the adaptor I am able to assist with.

Dusty36

Quote from: h|tman on February 08, 2013, 01:20:40 PM
Thank you for the above.

I have already bought a replacement stereo surround to suit the smaller RCD510 (and dynavin obv) shape unit, am hoping this arrives within a week, left Czech Rep last week.

Damn, was hoping that it would not be that much of an issue. If all else fails, I guess I have the option of bypassing the internal amp, however, the signal wires to the amp are a fairly light gauge wire, not sure how much real world difference this will make...

Might see if I can find a wiring diagram for the amp and see what is involved.

Appreciate all feedback, and if anyone has any other suggestions (particularly if they know of a way to activate factory amp) that would be very much welcomed.

Thanks again

@h|tman did you manage to sort it out? Would you recommend that head unit?

Sorry for being off-topic. I'm looking for a good stereo and can't make my mind up which one is the best.

There are so many aftermarket stereos that it's hard to find a good one. Many of them have one digit difference in their name. Anyways I've been reading reviews on the nets and they are all hype. Most of them downplay the negatives and hype features like 7" as if it would be that important. I've found a different blog. The thing I liked about this post is that it says it how it is. No sugar coating no BS. Even so there are ten or more head units on the site. How to pick the right one?

Any tips?

Gordo

It is a bit of a mess, looking at standards, options and features.

What I would suggest as a starting point is figuring out what you actually want, what you don't need, and what doesn't matter to you either way.
Then sort out what actually meets your requirements - the 7" installation fitting is rather important, not something to dismiss. Other things may be the interfaces for your mobile devices, power outputs to the speakers/amps, separate sub'out, etc.

Exactly what vehicle are you looking to put it into - if the speakers aren't up to it, you may see little gain, if any, and that's where it's often a good idea to start?
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)