NEW TOY! RS2 on its way from Queenstown to Wellington :D

Started by weta.worker, February 11, 2013, 10:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowburn

I'm fleshing a review out,just tired from commuting to greytown everyday....trust me i was thinking about it all the way over the hill in the coupe...

I love my old girl but she is a dinosaur compared to both the 2 and the 4 ,that being said.......the rs2 did have touches of the 200 about it,dash,and smells etc....
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

Audidude

Quote from: weta.worker on February 13, 2013, 09:31:44 PM
No way! I love the stock look! 
AbsoF'nLutely!

I strongly believe that "significant" cars, and these two are definitely qualifiers, should be kept as stock as possible. Love them both and the colours are perfect.

Agree with earlier post about the rear of the RS2 being the best view - same with the urq too - the 80's and early 90's fronts were a bit of a yawn compared to rear and side profiles.
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

creepdontsleep

awesome, i'll keep an eye out for you around welly!

I think i see you most sundays at the farmers market in chaffers dock?
Mercedes Benz ML350CDI 4MATIC
Audi C7 RS6 Avant

Mercedes Benz CLA45 AMG
Audi B7 RS4 Avant Misano Red
Audi B8 S4 Avant Unitronic Stage 3+
VW Mk5 R32 OEM+
Honda DC2 Integra Type R 98 Spec
Mitsubishi Lancer GSR 
Honda EG6 Civic K20A

weta.worker

Quote from: creepdontsleep on February 14, 2013, 08:56:53 PM
awesome, i'll keep an eye out for you around welly!

I think i see you most sundays at the farmers market in chaffers dock?

Yup! That's us. Family tradition. Get the kids out early, veggies and then some food

Won't be there this weekend though. On a ferry at the moment, just passing Red Rocks.

I'm outside getting some fresh air

Speaking of car things. How do I lock the doors without enabling the alarm? I reckon my car will be a bit noisy down below (rs4). I tried a few things and rushed through the manual bit they were closing the main doors back into the boat so left it

One of the inter islander guys said dont worry

Is still like to know though. Feel like a bit of a knob not knowing how! Bit I've never had to before!

:)
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

creepdontsleep

Quote from: weta.worker on February 14, 2013, 09:01:34 PM
Yup! That's us. Family tradition. Get the kids out early, veggies and then some food

Won't be there this weekend though. On a ferry at the moment, just passing Red Rocks.

I'm outside getting some fresh air

Speaking of car things. How do I lock the doors without enabling the alarm? I reckon my car will be a bit noisy down below (rs4). I tried a few things and rushed through the manual bit they were closing the main doors back into the boat so left it

One of the inter islander guys said dont worry

Is still like to know though. Feel like a bit of a knob not knowing how! Bit I've never had to before!

Enjoy your weekend get away.

I'm not sure if you model can do so? I know on the golf, there is a button you press on the drivers side door sill that turns off the interior alarm sensors off if you have a child/dog in the car.

See you around
Mercedes Benz ML350CDI 4MATIC
Audi C7 RS6 Avant

Mercedes Benz CLA45 AMG
Audi B7 RS4 Avant Misano Red
Audi B8 S4 Avant Unitronic Stage 3+
VW Mk5 R32 OEM+
Honda DC2 Integra Type R 98 Spec
Mitsubishi Lancer GSR 
Honda EG6 Civic K20A

weta.worker

Quote from: creepdontsleep on February 14, 2013, 09:24:21 PM
Enjoy your weekend get away.

I'm not sure if you model can do so? I know on the golf, there is a button you press on the drivers side door sill that turns off the interior alarm sensors off if you have a child/dog in the car.

See you around

Yeah, we've got that option (motion sensor) but its the tilt sensor I wanted to disable (she's rock'n and roll'n).

Ah well, it shouldn't bring the ship down :P

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

le mans

Yes that's right, there's a button on the plastic trim you push before closing the door and locking. Just inhibits the motion detector.

weta.worker

Quote from: le mans on February 14, 2013, 09:33:02 PM
Yes that's right, there's a button on the plastic trim you push before closing the door and locking. Just inhibits the motion detector.

Aaaah, I thought that just stopped some sort of ultra sonic movement sensor. For people moving inside (not moving the car but mocemt inside it) didn't know it did tilt (rocking) :)

Will give that nudge!

Thanks! This forum rules!
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

le mans

Sorry, probably didn't put that quite right and I wrote it while you were writing your previous comment lol - I think you were right in the first instance. I don't know much about alarms on these things or in general - didn't know it had a tilt sensor! Assuming it does probably only way to stop it is not lock the car? Anyway, you're there now - enjoy!

weta.worker

well RS2 wise, I've 'pretty much' decided that I'll get the gearbox rebuilt

it's got a shonky 1st gear syncro (Barry told me this before I got it , so no surprises for me), thought I may just live with it , but now I'm leaning towards getting the car ship shape so I can thoroughly enjoy it.

So I'm diving head first into this (hope the waters deep enough - and my pockets!)

- Going to use a new mechanic (a bit sick of Audi).  Sarich Motors , these guys have had lots of good feedback from people I know who have used them and what I've seen so far has re-enforced this.

- They will drop the box out and put it back in (charging 6 hours labour)

- They will send the box off to Wellington Automotive (these guys seem to have a solid rep as well)
> they'll fix the 1st syncro and replace noisy bearings and make sure the rest is sweet before handing it back
> charging $1700 + gst

- While the gearbox is off, Sarich will check out the clutch etc.  I'm 75% thinking I may as well get a replacement clutch and fly wheel from the States as if the gearbox is off, I can put in new parts and sign that side off as well.
> this kit seems to be good - http://www.034motorsport.com/clutches-flywheels-034motorsport-clutch-flywheel-packages-audi-7as2rs2-spec-clutch-package-wflywheel-p-19069.html

Stage 2 looks alright (says 'excellent' wear) and go for the 18lb steel flywheel option

- Sarich said if I choose to change the clutch they'll install the US parts at no charge as the hard work has been done (gearbox off).  They are also happy to wait for parts to deliver (as the decision will be made after the gearbox is off and they take a look at the clutch)

Also Mike (00quattro00) has been a huge help and helping me build a shopping list.   Thanks Mike!

Reckons I should get some mounts etc while I'm getting stuff in "The gearbox mounts will need to be undone so you may aswell replace them. Id say the diff mounts will be getting worn so you may aswell get them and just keep them for when you need them. Also strut mounts dont last that long and 034 make a nice heavy duty set."

One thing I will do before committing is contacting the owner before Barry and see what his thoughts are \ what he's done and what he knows has been done.  It may put some weight on the clutch \ flywheel replacement.  I've got his details and have been emailing so he's happy to chat.  Also it'd be good to know what he knows about the history of the car as it seems to have a pretty interesting one!

Have to say, the more I drive it , the more I'm loving it!

:D

This is all new ground for me so comments  \ concerns are appreciated! 

With the RS4, I just flicked it to Audi and let them deal to it (maybe thats why I'm a bit sick of them).  With this car I'm giving a new mechanic a go and trying to learn a bit more about the car (and cars in general)

If people think I'm doing it wrong, have better suppliers, etc, please feel free to yell at me :D

Thanks all!  Will keep you updated

Cheers

john

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

slowburn

you got a bad case of the fever boy!!! FIVE CYLINDER FEVER....... >:D
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RS ZWEI

Hey John, Ill be interested to know what prices you get quoted for gearbox and diff mounts.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

weta.worker

Quote from: RS ZWEI on February 15, 2013, 02:52:01 PM
Hey John, Ill be interested to know what prices you get quoted for gearbox and diff mounts.

No worries, will post once I get them :)
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

weta.worker

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

haggis

Looks fantastic - jealous much !
Imuse Powerhaus a lot and always did for my Porsche. Now the RS is out of warranty is will go there. Always well looked after.

beeker

Quote from: haggis on February 15, 2013, 08:45:06 PM
Imuse Powerhaus a lot and always did for my Porsche. Now the RS is out of warranty is will go there. Always well looked after.

Powerhaus have always had a good name i believe.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

BB

Sarich Motors sound great to deal with and 6 hours labor to pull the box off AND refit it is amazing, even more so if they fit a clutch and flywheel!
I mean its a 4x4 and they aren't making anything on parts!
Sounds well worth getting it put right.
Then bring on the hell launches, that's what they do best!
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

weta.worker

Quote from: beeker on February 15, 2013, 09:26:01 PM
Powerhaus have always had a good name i believe.

Quote from: haggis on February 15, 2013, 08:45:06 PM

thanks guys, getting comparative pricing to see how they stack up.  also waiting on Audi to get back just in case they manage to come through.

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

weta.worker

for nik (crappy camera phone with the added bonus of crappy lighting)

pulled out spare wheel and jack but no options sticker

Pulled off side covers as well

Here is what I've got book \ key wise (I put the green tape on the key so as not to lose it - need to get another cut today.  will see if I can source the same style (with a wee light on it)

I've got a whole heap of receipts and wof sheets as well.

Thought I'd take a pic of the 2 cars but I do need to take some time to shoot some decent pics

1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

M

The sticker Nik wants isn't in the car as its an Audi sticker. If car was in fact built at Porsche as believed then they wouldn't have fitted the sticker.
Too much power is almost enough.