SS braided brake hoses vs. std rubber

Started by dubstar, April 03, 2006, 08:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubstar

I am replacing my brake hoses and am currently weighing up the pros and con of SS braided hoses.

I can get a full set of the braided lines for NZ$200, but I can get a full set of OEM spec hoses for dirt cheap (less then $100).

Advice please.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

RS ZWEI

Quote from: dubstar on April 03, 2006, 08:01:51 PM
I am replacing my brake hoses and am currently weighing up the pros and con of SS braided hoses.

I can get a full set of the braided lines for NZ$200, but I can get a full set of OEM spec hoses for dirt cheap (less then $100).

Advice please.

They need some NZ standard cert on them to pass a WOF. Matt my brother has some Goodridge braided brakelines that he bought from the UK. They dont have the tag so he cant fit them  ::)
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Simon MkII

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on April 03, 2006, 08:06:23 PM
They need some NZ standard cert on them to pass a WOF. Matt my brother has some Goodridge braided brakelines that he bought from the UK. They dont have the tag so he cant fit them  ::)
Neil just got a set of braided hoses for the Corrado and they've got the tag on them, you might want to PM him.
Mazda Mx5

RS ZWEI

Quote from: 16vGTI on April 03, 2006, 08:24:45 PM
Neil just got a set of braided hoses for the Corrado and they've got the tag on them, you might want to PM him.

Did Neil buy them in NZ?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

ck13

There is a place in wellington called "pedders", and they would do a set for around the $200 mark give or take.  They have the cert as you need some red tape bs to make braided hoses.

urq20v

Bryce,there is a Brake place,Trade Parts I think,on Wairau Rd.I got mine custom made there.Just take your old ones along and they will make them up for you on the spot complete with compliance numbers.
A vast improvement to the feel of the brake pedal.

Simon MkII

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on April 03, 2006, 08:34:04 PM
Did Neil buy them in NZ?

I'm not sure, best you ask Neil.
The one mentioned above is probably best though, no need to worry about incorrect parts etc...
Mazda Mx5

Neil_Corrado

I bought them off Pioneer Auto parts in Onehunga. They are a 6 pc set specifically for the Rado, made by Goodridge with all the correct tags etc etc. They have a life time warranty too. Yes I know you can get the kit from the UK and the States a lot cheaper, but i bought them from an NZ supplier so I have the ability to get the appropriate paper work if a WOF checker gets on his high horse.

To answer the original question, braided hose are better then rubber hoses because they don't swell under pressure (when you depress the brake pedal). It will/should give a better response times and a better feel.

vwrally

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on April 03, 2006, 08:06:23 PM

The Kirk Car has UK Sourced Goodridge hoses that he bought from TSR. I am sure that I have all the paperwork at home needed for them, about 30 pages of technical stuff.

I remember BKsaying that he had trouble getting them warranted but he won in the end. Probably would have been cheaper to get a new set made in NZ

Viktro

When I asked Powerhaus about SS brake lines they said it wasn't worth it for street use. Apparently they need to be inspected regularly and unless you're racing it's not worth it. I think it may be something to do with heating the brake fluid up? (don't quote me on this) I can't remember what they said exactly but they didn't recommend it if it's for street use.
Victor Yuen // Automotive Photographer
www.victoryuenphotographer.co.nz