My A3 Sportback Progress Thread/Diary

Started by JPK, March 10, 2013, 05:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowmo

Quote from: JPK on May 17, 2013, 11:14:04 AM
The dyno is 'at the wheels'. So it will be around 170kw at the flywheel.

On paper with the APR Stage 1 tune and Forge Twintake it should be around 200kw at the flywheel.
APR quotes 188kw and Forge quotes around 10kw increase (backed up by loads of dyno sheets).

Torque Performance may not have dynoed it properly however, as there is apparantly a bit of an artform to dynoing a DSG car to give it full throttle but avoid it downshifting while on the rollers.

gotcha! sorry for the noob question  :P
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

ranton-inc

Just been to torque to get your run sheet!

JPK

A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

slowmo

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

hrrrrsn

Looking great! Better get some mods on to my A4 ;)
Audi A4 B7 Quattro 2.0T S-Line
VW Golf mk4

fuzion

car is looking very neat and tough man!

does your intake make any noise out of curiosity? As i know they are very quiet.. and i know they do not offer much increase of airflow from what we have tested

JPK

Yes the twintake is fairly noisy. I dont believe they offer much increase in flow/hp at factory hp level.
There has been plenty of tests from Forge and others that show a significant increase in flow at Stage 1 and above though?

Are you thinking of intakes that use the factory intake piping like the Carbonio?
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

fuzion

I run the 3" VF Intake on mine as i have the GIAC Extreme .. 3" TBE milltek, intercooler, hpfp etc etc.. so mine will be louder than yours because of K04. And you definitely notice it as when we put the CTS k04 kit in the mk6 its doubled in intake sound as well as flutters more than a vl turbo now lol.

Myself, i'd go either VF, CTS or something along those lines as they work well and have on all the cars i have seen. You do get increased flow, but also depends what tune you're running and what not.

APR do love their 'if you get that mod, come back and get stage 45 for another $400!' theory which doesnt work for me lol

GLIDN

Quote from: fuzion on June 11, 2013, 07:18:25 PM
I run the 3" VF Intake on mine as i have the GIAC Extreme .. 3" TBE milltek, intercooler, hpfp etc etc.. so mine will be louder than yours because of K04. And you definitely notice it as when we put the CTS k04 kit in the mk6 its doubled in intake sound as well as flutters more than a vl turbo now lol.

Myself, i'd go either VF, CTS or something along those lines as they work well and have on all the cars i have seen. You do get increased flow, but also depends what tune you're running and what not.

APR do love their 'if you get that mod, come back and get stage 45 for another $400!' theory which doesnt work for me lol

Haha, no they don't. Only downpipe and fuel pump upgrades require retuning.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Fizz

Quote from: GLIDN on June 12, 2013, 01:07:37 AM
Haha, no they don't. Only downpipe and fuel pump upgrades require retuning.

What about that manifold flapper delete thing?
Turbo upgrade?  ;D

GLIDN

Quote from: Fizz on June 12, 2013, 07:51:55 AM
What about that manifold flapper delete thing?
Turbo upgrade?  ;D

Well APR are the only ones with flapper delete. Which will receive the updated tune FOC.
Of course a turbo upgrade requires new software.

No tuner provides an upgrade for tuning with a competitors turbo upgrade.
That's just a given. 😜

GLIDN

Quote from: JPK on June 12, 2013, 09:02:30 AM
CTS turbo copied the manifold flapper delete recently.. http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/products/CTS_Turbo_FSI_Golf_R_Intake_Manifold_Flap_Delete-3557-0.html

On special and it's only $50 cheaper on special, normally only $20US difference.

I would only recommend this upgrade for MK5/A3 GTI's Stage 2+ (Downpipe, Intake, and HPFP - High pressure fuel pump) or above.
This however requires a retune as your cold start is affected drastically if the tune has not been changed to suit.

JPK

Will probably do downpipe, hpfp, s3 intercooler, turbo outlet pipe and runner flap delete + stage 2+ tune after my wedding in Feb.
Most of my spare funds are going to that right now.

In saying that have a few more goodies on the way from Germany & the UK...
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

fuzion

You dont need it, save your money.

Leave your flaps alone. lol

GLIDN

Quote from: fuzion on June 12, 2013, 12:44:19 PM
You dont need it, save your money.

Leave your flaps alone. lol

He needs to possibly pull intake manifold off. As he has some issue's a while back with the Manifold Flap.

JPK

Yes, it would be more of a preventative maintenance thing. They are a common fault.
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

JPK

Nothing too major lately. Had the thermostat replaced last week which seems to have restored lost power and it feels quite a bit peppier. Could be placebo but I guess it makes sense as it isn't running rich all the time with a thermostat stuck half open. It gets to 90 degrees nice and quickly now.

Wouldn't mind putting it back on the dyno to check if there is a power increase but not keen to pay $170 for the privilage right now.

Other than that I removed the Whiteline bump steer correction kit. Unless I was doing something wrong it seems it has to be greased/lubed every 700-800kms. Otherwise it starts squeaking and creaking. I had also had an issue with the steering wheel sitting 10-15 degrees to the left permanently even after alignment was done (twice).
Replaced these with brand new OEM tie rod ends (revised part). No more squeaking and the steering wheel is perfectly centred again.

Also ordered an 'HPA Core Interlock Performance Motor mount' - 85a. http://www.hpamotorsport.com/mounts.htm

I have an 034 Motorsport (Energy suspension) dogbone mount insert at present that this will replace. It replaces the lower subframe mount completely and I expect this to be the last piece of the engine mount puzzle for me.
I am after smoother DSG shifts at lower RPM and zero engine rock. This has been minimised a lot with what I have done so far but I'm not completely happy yet. I can't believe I was ever remotely happy with this cars performance in this department when it was stock - I guess there was a lot of give/slop in everything so one single issue didn't stand out like dogs balls.
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

Fizz

awesome  8)
U replaced ur engine mounts yet?

JPK

Yes, already have the 034 Motorsport transmission and engine mounts + dogbone insert. Have replaced all the other front bushings and the tie rods, ball joints, end links etc with revised or updated parts + tyrolsport deadset subframe kit in the interests of tightening everything up and getting that brand new 'performance' car feel. Still not quite there yet though.
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -