My A3 Sportback Progress Thread/Diary

Started by JPK, March 10, 2013, 05:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fizz

Quote from: JPK on June 16, 2013, 10:43:12 PM
Yes, already have the 034 Motorsport transmission and engine mounts + dogbone insert. Have replaced all the other front bushings and the tie rods, ball joints, end links etc with revised or updated parts + tyrolsport deadset subframe kit in the interests of tightening everything up and getting that brand new 'performance' car feel. Still not quite there yet though.

How did you find the the Engine and Tranny mount? Not too stiff? Did you get the street density mounts? I'm thinking of getting a set for the golf.

JPK

Yes I have the street density mounts. Review on first page of this thread. If your existing upper mounts arent shot I would suggest starting with the HPA puck and see if you get the result you are after
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

Fizz

Quote from: JPK on June 17, 2013, 08:57:08 AM
Yes I have the street density mounts. Review on first page of this thread. If your existing upper mounts arent shot I would suggest starting with the HPA puck and see if you get the result you are after
I've got the Stage 2 BFI insert. Which tbh i didn't notice much of a difference.

JPK

I didnt get much of a difference with the insert either. Google 'HPA puck'. Overwhelmingly positive reviews.
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

GLIDN

Quote from: Fizz on June 16, 2013, 10:35:55 PM
awesome  8)
U replaced ur engine mounts yet?

Ask creepdontsleep. He has full VWR mounts, Reckons its the bees knees.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

fuzion

Quote from: GLIDN on June 17, 2013, 06:36:22 PM
Ask creepdontsleep. He has full VWR mounts, Reckons its the bees knees.

I have VWR Engine Mounts but also i have a SMF Clutch Kit and a Milltek TBE... Its great and i love it, but don't get me wrong i can hear the harmonics of my engine even more now and the vibration is noticeable in comparison to Lora's mk6 gti! Its not terrible or complainable but you do notice it!

You need a k04 - i am selling mine :p

Fizz

JPK

Yes. Over $1000 for a full set of VWR mounts..

Strongly considering K04 but wouldn't touch a name brand kit for this car, not worth it. Can pick up all the bits for under $1500 (injectors, turbo/manifold and DV relocation) if you're patient and look for low km S3 and Golf R owners that are upgrading. Then it's just hpfp, downpipe and tune. The latter is required for Stage 2+ anyway.
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

JPK

Just fitted an S3 leather handbrake cover to match the silver stitched leather of the boot on the DSG knob I installed the other week.

A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

bunana

Quote from: JPK on June 17, 2013, 08:08:28 PM
Just fitted an S3 leather handbrake cover to match the silver stitched leather of the boot on the DSG knob I installed the other week.

wow~~ that iss really nice~
can you please give more insigh of how is done ?

Cheers
audi a3-8L 1.8T (sold)
audi a3-8P 2.0T (sold)
vw polo-mk5 1.2 tsi (sold)

JPK

The gearknob or the leather handbrake cover? The gearknob is a few posts back, the handbrake cover just slides over the handbrake lever when you have removed the old one and popped a clip out with a flathead screwdriver.
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

JPK

Some more goodies arrived in the past few days and are now fitted.. The car is at Precision Autowerk for a week or so being repaired though  :-\ Had a minor disagreement with a pedestrian.

Porsche 911 Coolant & Oil Caps + Audi TT-S engine cover

Decided to go with the Porsche caps rather than the usual R8 option. They came in around $30 cheaper, plus they look a bit sleeker IMO.
The TT-S cover comes with the mounting hardware required so a straight bolt on after that is installed. It is a tight fit next to the Twintake so I might trim it down a bit.
The R8/Lamborghini washer cap cover ended up being too small. Will either 'plastidip' the blue one or source a black one from somewhere and probably replace the firewall
sound deadening to finish off the engine bay as it is a bit tatty, if its not too costly.

Very happy with the look. Nice OEM+ update and covers what was a bit of an eyesore.

Installed.

A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

JPK

Facelift Tail Lights

Have been wanting to do these for a while. They are off the 2009-2012 A3/S3/RS3 and update the rear nicely.
I think they are one of the nicest tail lights out there. Quite similar to the latest Porsche tails.

The below adaptor looms are required as the plugs are different and a separate 12v feed for the inners needs to be taken off the number plate lights.
After that it just needs a little coding through VCDS and they work as intended.

Car needs a clean but here is a couple of phone snaps.  8)

A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

1.8t

Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

zyeffur

very, very nice touch! love the bits you've done to this car.

btw, the coolant caps, etc. are they all standard sizes?

how much did you get them for?

nacnud

Looking good! It's all about the detail!
Whatcha Think?
Flickr

1991 Jetta ABF

CGK

JPK

Quote from: zyeffur on June 28, 2013, 05:45:47 PM
very, very nice touch! love the bits you've done to this car.

btw, the coolant caps, etc. are they all standard sizes?

how much did you get them for?

Yes, standard size. Both were $99USD from BKS Tuning (have bought a few things from them, great service). They put them in the box with the engine cover so no additional freight cost.
The only minor issue is the coolant cap doesnt completely tighten on the exterior of the cap but internally its all fully sealed so no problem there. Apparently this comes right after a few kms according to a few forums I've looked at.

Porsche oil cap - Part No: 991 107 475 00
Porsche coolant cap - Part No: 991 106 457 01
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

zyeffur

Quote from: JPK on June 28, 2013, 07:39:34 PM
Yes, standard size. Both were $99USD from BKS Tuning (have bought a few things from them, great service). They put them in the box with the engine cover so no additional freight cost.
The only minor issue is the coolant cap doesnt completely tighten on the exterior of the cap but internally its all fully sealed so no problem there. Apparently this comes right after a few kms according to a few forums I've looked at.

Porsche oil cap - Part No: 991 107 475 00
Porsche coolant cap - Part No: 991 106 457 01

Sweet, those can be my mini mods to the car. :D thanks for providing the serial numbers, etc.

JPK

Ended up going with a Powerflex Dogbone bush (in the actual OE dogbone itself) and an HPA 85a durometer puck. Rather than going with a complete replacement dogbone like BSH or VF I though i would try replacing the OE bush with the powerflex as a more inexpensive option.

Just got both installed and it drives like a bitch. When starting the car there is a big muffled thud as it roars into life and the drone that goes through the car is significant. A lot of vibration and drone when below 1600rpm.

Very surprising and I am thinking that either the powerflex bush is causing most of this or these mods added to what I already have simply caused the vibration to cross a 'vibration threshold' of some type.

My experience goes against every review I have read about the HPA puck, all of which are favorable. Will be swapping the dogbone bush back to stock first and seeing if that makes a difference I think.
The HPA puck apparently settles down after a few hundred kms but can't find much info on the dogbone bush.

Audi refinement has gone out the window.. May as well be driving a full blown race car.

A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

JPK

Looking at the above pic again it appears the large washer part from the original Torque arm insert has been reused with the HPA puck for some reason. Will take that off but not sure that will make much difference.
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -