My A3 Sportback Progress Thread/Diary

Started by JPK, March 10, 2013, 05:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLIDN

the washer will make no difference, But as stated many a times now.
these mini mod upgrades, on the MK5/6 platform. Does take at least 2 months to bed in on a DSG equipped car.

On the manual version it's still there, but is gone within a few weeks. But due to free idle (I.E. no drag on gearbox as per a auto/DSG)
It's that which creates the in cabin noise more so than a manual.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

JPK

Yeah I'm going to give it a while to see if it quietens down a bit. I will bring it over sometime soon as you have to check out the vibration.. Unreal.
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

GLIDN

Quote from: JPK on July 15, 2013, 07:00:58 PM
Yeah I'm going to give it a while to see if it quietens down a bit. I will bring it over sometime soon as you have to check out the vibration.. Unreal.

don't worry I know how it sounds. I had to remove these for 4 MK6 owners already. they did not want to bare with it for at least 2 months.
It should also quieten down a little as the car gets hot as well.

JPK

Quote from: GLIDN on July 16, 2013, 11:59:49 AM
don't worry I know how it sounds. I had to remove these for 4 MK6 owners already. they did not want to bare with it for at least 2 months.
It should also quieten down a little as the car gets hot as well.

4x MK6 owners had HPA pucks and powerflex dogbone bushes? I think you mean the torque arm insert? I have had an 034/Energy Suspension torque arm insert prior to this since last year and that had no increase in NVH really.
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

GLIDN

Quote from: JPK on July 16, 2013, 04:55:29 PM
4x MK6 owners had HPA pucks and powerflex dogbone bushes? I think you mean the torque arm insert? I have had an 034/Energy Suspension torque arm insert prior to this since last year and that had no increase in NVH really.

Correct, just the inserts.

JPK

All sorted. Swapped out the pendulum mount with powerflex bush for a brand new OEM pendulum mount. Most of the vibration has disappeared.

Note for anyone else that is looking at replacing mounts. Replace either the subframe mounts OR the pendulum mount if going aftermarket. Definitely don't do a VWR or HPA puck AND a BSH, VF Engineering pendulum mount or a powerflex bush with OE mount.

I am now at what I feel is the perfect compromise between comfort and performance as far as mounts are concerned. I really rate the HPA puck. No more back/forth engine rock whatsoever. Yes there is a little more vibration, but very minimal compared to what I was experiencing and it doesn't bother me at all.

To summarise. I have 034 Motorsport Engine & Transmission mounts (Street density), a new OEM pendulum mount and an HPA 85a subframe mount (puck).
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

GLIDN

Quote from: JPK on July 30, 2013, 08:50:12 PM
All sorted. Swapped out the pendulum mount with powerflex bush for a brand new OEM pendulum mount. Most of the vibration has disappeared.

Note for anyone else that is looking at replacing mounts. Replace either the subframe mounts OR the pendulum mount if going aftermarket. Definitely don't do a VWR or HPA puck AND a BSH, VF Engineering pendulum mount or a powerflex bush with OE mount.

I am now at what I feel is the perfect compromise between comfort and performance as far as mounts are concerned. I really rate the HPA puck. No more back/forth engine rock whatsoever. Yes there is a little more vibration, but very minimal compared to what I was experiencing and it doesn't bother me at all.

To summarise. I have 034 Motorsport Engine & Transmission mounts (Street density), a new OEM pendulum mount and an HPA 85a subframe mount (puck).

Did you replace, both top and bottom mount in the lower sub frame?

JPK

No, just the bottom one. The HPA Puck 'solution' just involves that. I realise the VWR option replaces both, but the install cost is significant.

Will replace the top one with an OEM mount if I ever drop the subframe for any reason. Also want a Front sway bar at some point but might not really be cost effective in terms of labour cost to drop the subframe.

EDIT: Here is a pic that shows the new OEM pendulum mount and the HPA Puck

A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

JPK

Updated start of thread with list of mods to date.

I was planning on putting off Stage 2+ until next year... However an APR pump came up on vwgolf.net.au for $500AUD including postage so snapped it up. Have only ever heard of one APR pump failing in all the thousands they have sold, so I have no problem with picking up a pre used pump whatsoever. Apparently it had only done 15,000kms.

Also found a well reviewed 'cheap' downpipe from these guys www.godspeedproject.com . Ended up getting it landed for $364NZD which fitted just under the GST/customs duties threshold. I would have probably gone with a 'name brand' downpipe if I had a $50,000 car but that isnt the case and as far as 'bang for buck' goes, this has turned out to be a great buy so far.

Welds and quality of the downpipe look great and the fitment was good. It included the downpipe section, test pipe and a V-Band clamp. All in 304 stainless. The only thing it didnt include was a gasket which I picked up for $15 or so from VW.

A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

JPK

Had the above installed then APR reflashed from Stage 1 to Stage 2+.

Phenomenal performance for a K03. My main complaint with Stage 1 is the big drop off after 5000rpm. The car pulls right to redline now and has a massive increase in mid range torque.
The power delivery is much more brutal than stage 1 but actually improves and smooths out the rev range a lot - less 'peaky' when downshifting at lower RPMs to go up a hill etc.

With the downpipe and the extra fuelling it sounds amazing when giving it some stick, but nice and restrained when driving normally with a very minimal increase in noise. The DSG 'pop' has increased in volume a fair bit and also does a big crack at certain RPMs.

I would go so far as to call it scary quick for a FWD road car. Quoted power is 280bhp and 440nm.
Will put it on a dyno soon.

Torque steer has increased a little but it is still surprisingly good in terms of traction. It spins/chirps into 3rd (tested on closed private road) but is still moving very quickly while doing so. The engine mounts, suspension, bushes and tyres are doing a great job at putting the power down.
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

Fizz

Very nice, rear section after the DP stock?

JPK

Quote from: Fizz on August 12, 2013, 08:28:16 PM
Very nice, rear section after the DP stock?

Cheers. Have a Remus 'axle back exhaust'/rear muffler but stock piping and resonator.
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

DAPPR

Fizz

JPK

Will come along to a meet at some point. I always find sound clips to be a bit off and it sounds best when on the move  ;D
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

Poonmobile

Very cool Jared, read this post start to finish. Can't believe the before and after! Truly unique car, and for all the right reasons.
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

insane

Now you just need a sunroof to finish it off, assuming its even possible. Also can you say how much all up its cost you so far?

JPK

Quote from: insane on September 11, 2013, 01:45:30 AM
Now you just need a sunroof to finish it off, assuming its even possible. Also can you say how much all up its cost you so far?

Sunroof is possible (a guy on www.audi-sport.net did it) but it costs thousands for genuine and requires the whole interior to be stripped out and a bunch of welding done etc. Aftermarket never looks that great on these in my opinion and risks leaking etc. It isnt something I have really wanted personally in any case and adds extra weight.

Havnt added it all up. Excluding maintenance items probably around 34k including the cost of the car?
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

JPK

A couple of little updates.

Here is a pic from 'SOCOLD13' a couple of weeks ago. Picked up 'Best Post 2000 car'. Nice show, the organisers did a great job.

Rear Brakes:
I realised earlier in the year that my existing rear rotors were only 260mm. There was a switch to 286mm somewhere along the line (I think around 2008) in these cars. I believe the Golf GTI had 286mm rears for most markets.
I found this out after purchasing 286mm rear Stoptech rotors so they have been sitting around until I sorted out what I needed to make them fit.

It turns out that the calliper itself is identical, it is just the carrier and dust shields that need replacing with those from the later model (or GTI). The dust shields arent really necessary so just purchased a brand new set of carriers (had difficulty getting used). Then painted them black as I didnt really want them the 'GTI red'. The extra 26mm makes the rear brakes look a fair bit nicer with 19" wheels and the cross-drilled rotors now match the front.

There isnt much detail on this swap online so here is a few pics below for anyone interested. Cost on carriers was approx $180.00.

Painted

Before

After

My cig lighter and trim was scuffed up and needed replacing so decided to pick up the 12v 'flap socket' from the 'non smokers pack' out of the Audi parts bin. I think this makes the centre console look a lot cleaner.

A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

schattenblau

Quote from: JPK on September 11, 2013, 08:13:40 PM

. The extra 26mm makes the rear brakes look a fair bit nicer with 19" wheels and the slotted rotors now match the front.

Slotted ?
You have cross-drilled.

;)

Are they solid like a GTI's or ventilated ?