Mtm chip- how can you verify if your car has one?

Started by VB, April 11, 2006, 05:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VB

Hi guys

Have become increasingly doubtful of my cars so called performance and suspect that it hasn't been chipped at all. Ran a 0-60 test using a beltronices fx2 car performance computer and it was a lot slower than what it should be. Contacted giltraps but apparently they can't tell whether or not its chipped. Going to get the car dynoed and have contacted the dealer who could only state it felt like it had 250 hp and that the previous owner had told him it was chipped.

Who do you guys use for dyno work? Contacted Torque performance in Avondale who told me it costs $225 during the week or $85 on the first Saturday of the month.

Appreciate any ideas.

hitmanGTI

give me a text (if your in auckland)  021 647 617

and i will plug vag com in to your car.. or we can pull out your Ecu and have a look easy  ;D

which reminds me i need my Vag com back hennie..

Audi-man

Gary Capper motorsport in Puke dynos for $100 +GST

beeker

My MTM chiped ECU has a big fat MTM sticker on the lid.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Neil_Corrado

I had one come back from MTM today, it has a warranty void if broken, MTM silver sticker across the seem of the ECU shell. It also has the upgrade technicians name and some serial numbers written on the sticker.

VB

Hey thanks for your help guys. I had heard that there should be a sticker and most mtm cars seem to have a badge as well. Thanks MK4 GTI  I would certainly appreciate any help re vagcom or pulling out the ecu. It really annoyed me that giltraps tried to tell me you couldn't check.

Thanks very much

Vance  ;D

Turbo

Quote from: VB on April 11, 2006, 09:10:12 PM
Hey thanks for your help guys. I had heard that there should be a sticker and most mtm cars seem to have a badge as well. Thanks MK4 GTI  I would certainly appreciate any help re vagcom or pulling out the ecu. It really annoyed me that giltraps tried to tell me you couldn't check.

Thanks very much

Vance  ;D

i think if giltraps put it in it won't have the sticker.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Turbo on April 11, 2006, 09:27:52 PM

still you can still check if the Board has been molested in any shape or form..

also a boost guage is a good way to check.. obviously it wont say its boosting "MTM Psi" but if it reads higher than stock you can safely say your car is either

1. Chipped by some tuner

or

2. has one hell of a boost leak and has been lucky enough not to go in to limp home mode...

Neil_Corrado

Quote from: Turbo on April 11, 2006, 09:27:52 PM

Yeah it will, Giltraps just refit the ECU when it comes back from MTM in Germany. All MTM ugrades are either complete ECU's or you have to send your own ECU to them. Either way if its MTM it will have the sticker.

Turbo

Quote from: Neil on April 12, 2006, 08:21:43 AM
Yeah it will, Giltraps just refit the ECU when it comes back from MTM in Germany. All MTM ugrades are either complete ECU's or you have to send your own ECU to them. Either way if its MTM it will have the sticker.

on the outside case? or once you open it up? cos mine is chipped by giltraps and it doesn't have the sticker on the outside anyway.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

hitmanGTI

Quote from: Turbo on April 12, 2006, 09:51:46 AM
on the outside case? or once you open it up? cos mine is chipped by giltraps and it doesn't have the sticker on the outside anyway.

then they prbably sent it to superchips ;)

Turbo

Simon MkII

Quote from: Turbo on April 12, 2006, 09:51:46 AM

It probably doesn't have an MTM chip then. AFAIK the only way to get one is by going through MTM germany, there isn't anyone in NZ that will fit an MTM chip to you ECU.

edit; actually it would probably go through this procedure when there is a warranty involved.
Mazda Mx5

RS ZWEI

Quote from: 16vGTI on April 12, 2006, 12:05:43 PM
It probably doesn't have an MTM chip then. AFAIK the only way to get one is by going through MTM germany, there isn't anyone in NZ that will fit an MTM chip to you ECU.

I think there may have been.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

i wana rs6

Garry Keith  (>:( >:( >:()quoted me $3500 for an mtm chip. They send it to germany and it takes 3+ weeks.
Im not paying that or waiting that long with no car. >:(

hitmanGTI

Quote from: i wana rs6 on April 12, 2006, 12:13:42 PM
Garry Keith  (>:( >:( >:()quoted me $3500 for an mtm chip. They send it to germany and it takes 3+ weeks.

Here your Options

1. go to R R & R and get a Wettaraur chip

2. go to Super Chips

3. Go to Revotechnik in Tauranga..

(these arent in any particular order its just what rolled off my fingers first)

Turbo

Quote from: 16vGTI on April 12, 2006, 12:05:43 PM

it was put in by giltraps in 2001 and they said that back then the only chip they used was mtm. i have no reason to believe otherwise.

Simon MkII

Oh, I thought it was done recently. Things have probably changed since then, and in that case I probably have no idea  :P
Mazda Mx5

Audi-man

Quote from: i wana rs6 on April 12, 2006, 12:13:42 PM

Talking to Giltraps, they will loan you an ecu to keep you going while your ECU is in Germany.

VB

Phoned Continental cars today and they could confirm, that the ecu was sent off to Germany for an mtm chip. I had someone connect it up to diagnostic equipment at Giltraps and they did a short print out which siad there was an intermittent fault. Could this be the maf?

Also realised that I had done my 0-60 test on an incline. :-[