Audi RS7

Started by Stickman, April 10, 2013, 11:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickman

If reports are to be believed http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-audi-rs7-photos-and-info-news then the RS7 is not far from release. Is it just me or are Audi really over-doing the RS badging these days? Someone in their marketing departments has touted the idea that badging something RS means that people will just jump for it...and maybe they're right. But I think that they have really last the beating heart of the RS models. The new RS's are serious pieces of kit, but somehow they have lost that edgy desirability they once held. To me, they are now filling the space that the 'S' models held in terms of "special-ness".

Maybe it's just my tastes changing...but I don't think so. The last generation RS4 and RS6 and the B5 RS4's just "felt" special. I will never forget the absolute feeling of "I really really want one" that I got when the B7 RS4 was released in 2006 (I was 21, in no way capable of affording one...but that never stopped dreams!) I still have that feeling for the B7...but haven't even had the slightest notion of the same for the B8 RS4. Anyone feeling similar?
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4

schattenblau

Yep.

Like BMW M, the RS badge has been dumbed down for mass consumption.

Oh, for the days when only one RS model was for sale at a time.

beeker

At least it has the correct engine, that nw generaiton 4.0 TT is a weapon. Wait until the tuners get hold of it.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

rambo_005

weta.worker

Quote from: Stickman on April 10, 2013, 11:51:04 PM
If reports are to be believed http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-audi-rs7-photos-and-info-news then the RS7 is not far from release. Is it just me or are Audi really over-doing the RS badging these days? Someone in their marketing departments has touted the idea that badging something RS means that people will just jump for it...and maybe they're right. But I think that they have really last the beating heart of the RS models. The new RS's are serious pieces of kit, but somehow they have lost that edgy desirability they once held. To me, they are now filling the space that the 'S' models held in terms of "special-ness".

Maybe it's just my tastes changing...but I don't think so. The last generation RS4 and RS6 and the B5 RS4's just "felt" special. I will never forget the absolute feeling of "I really really want one" that I got when the B7 RS4 was released in 2006 (I was 21, in no way capable of affording one...but that never stopped dreams!) I still have that feeling for the B7...but haven't even had the slightest notion of the same for the B8 RS4. Anyone feeling similar?

totally +1

I think they've diluted the RS brand
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

Stickman

Quote from: beeker on April 11, 2013, 06:45:36 AM
At least it has the correct engine, that nw generaiton 4.0 TT is a weapon. Wait until the tuners get hold of it.
Agreed on choice of motor...massive potential compared to the V10 (for $$/Hp anyway).
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4

slowmo

On the bright side, perhaps this move by Audi to have so many new RS models just makes the original RS cars even more desirable because of the exclusivity and limited availability?
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM