Sharans

Started by 00quattro00, May 11, 2013, 08:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

00quattro00

Do these share anything with golfs? Could one be converted to manual? Seen a few cheap vr6s with a dud trans surprise surprise
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

80 Vert

Same motor and O1M as a golf, why you'd want a POS such as that is beyond me though  ;D
They truely are a horrible thing and worthless at that, did I mention gas guzzler too?
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

00quattro00

I thought a manual vr6 would be ok, maybe not.
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

AndyGti

old man had one, he hated it with vengence. sold it after about 6 months of owning it

Worms

Quote from: 00quattro00 on May 11, 2013, 09:30:12 PM
I thought a manual vr6 would be ok, maybe not.

Hi Michael,

I thought that too... but apparently the engine in the sharan is canted over to fit inside the chassis/bodywork, and the golf box dosn't fit  :( The auto boxes are apparently the same/similar internals as a VR6 golf, but the housing is different too. I thought it would be nice and easy to build a manual VR6 loser mover for the Mrs, but sadly not so.

The diesels (only seen one over here) and the 1.8T were available with manual trans, but I don't know if they are Sharan only items, or if the Golf boxes would fit.

Mike1410

Well, of course, the original (pre 2004) Sharan is not really a VW at all, it's a Ford (Galaxy) with a VW (or SEAT Alhambra) badge and trimmings and was built in a Ford controlled factory in Portugal. This is why the build quality was so crap, and why it was not a big seller for VW. Who wants to pay high end VW money for a low end Ford product?. The Ford and Seat versions sold much better, but simply because they were cheaper to buy. Post 2004 quality improved, as VW took over production when Ford stopped selling that variation of the Galaxy. 

rambo_005

Quote from: Mike1410 on May 13, 2013, 02:06:17 AM
Well, of course, the original (pre 2004) Sharan is not really a VW at all, it's a Ford (Galaxy) with a VW (or SEAT Alhambra) badge and trimmings and was built in a Ford controlled factory in Portugal. This is why the build quality was so crap, and why it was not a big seller for VW. Who wants to pay high end VW money for a low end Ford product?. The Ford and Seat versions sold much better, but simply because they were cheaper to buy. Post 2004 quality improved, as VW took over production when Ford stopped selling that variation of the Galaxy. 

AutoEuropa was originally a 50/50 VW/Ford JV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoEuropa

Mike1410

http://www.volkswagenautoeuropa.pt/articles/en/who-we-are

Whilst the project to build the three vehicles was a joint Ford/VW venture, the day to day operation operation of the factory was initially under Ford command when production started in 1995. VW initially supplied money and design facilities. This was well known in the European motoring press at the time, and following the very well publicised reports of the large amounts (for VW) of repair claims under warranty on Sharan models, the sales of new Sharans suffered. The influential second hand car buyers guides were not slow to report these faults and value second hand Sharans accordingly. This was one of the reasons why VW took over the plant, and why the "facelifted" 2000 model year onward Sharan and Alhambra models improved in quality.