Buying a Passat V5 Wagon

Started by MrsT, June 12, 2013, 09:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrsT

Just in the process of purchasing a V5 station wagon from a dealer in AKL and purchasing a 3 year Janssen Mechanical Warranty with it to cover things like transmission just in case as I know that can be costly. Just noticed in the fine print though that the cover requires a full transmission service within 3 months of purchase for European cars. Any idea what that kind of service involves and what it would be likely to cost? I live in CHC. Also, any other useful tips about this vehicle? Thanks!

GLIDN

You could go speak to volksport.
Just insure only genuine VW fluid is used not generic fluid
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

MrsT

Thanks. Where is Volksport? I just googled it and nothing came up? Is the fluid for the transmission service? Sorry a bit clueless when it comes to mechanics :-)

deedub

Quote from: MrsT on June 12, 2013, 10:25:35 PM
Thanks. Where is Volksport? I just googled it and nothing came up? Is the fluid for the transmission service? Sorry a bit clueless when it comes to mechanics :-)

There isn't a volksport.

There is Volkspower and Dubworld. But I imagine they might send it to the gearbox company (www.autotransmissions.co.nz) for an auto service anyway. They have been excellent in my experience.
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress

the phantom

if you're purchasing from a dealer, why not get them to do the service as part of the deal? might cost a little more but it simplifies things
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

GLIDN

Quote from: deedub on June 13, 2013, 01:47:10 AM
There isn't a volksport.

There is Volkspower and Dubworld. But I imagine they might send it to the gearbox company (www.autotransmissions.co.nz) for an auto service anyway. They have been excellent in my experience.

Thanks deedub I meant them, Only heard about them.

As long as autotransmissions use genuine fluid then by all means.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

MrsT

Spoke to Dubworld this morning as that is where we took our old Passat and $320 +gst so not as bad as AKL prices I suppose :-) It is stipulated as a condition of the warranty so I guess we're faced with that expense as well but at least we will have good peace of mind after that that everything will be running smoothly :-) Thanks for your advice.